Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome

How many of you at some point immediately dismissed something because of the general popular view on that subject?

An example would be dismissing the use of a FMJ round for defense because of the general idea that the only good defensive rounds are hollowpoint or saying that revolvers are a poor choice for defense when compared to semi-automatics.

The worst thing you can do, in my opinion, when learning the how/what/when/where of defensive shooting is to blindly go with the masses without doing some research for yourself. Avoid becoming a "sheeple" at all costs. Use actual research conducted by others to help further your own opinions and knowledge, but make up your own mind in the end, and don't throw out ideas because they are mocked by large groups of other people.

Remember, at one point in history the idea of shooting a pistol with two hands was considered ridiculous. During those times a man shot with one hand and one hand only. Look at how the times has changed.

There is more than one way to do things in the world of defensive firearms. Learn from as many credible sources as you can, and use that information to make your own best judgements based on your own situation/envoirnment. If you have a preferred mindset towards something, and it works for you then stick with it. I encourage you not to immediately dismiss the ideas of others without researching the idea a little, though.

Keep an open mind and learn as much as possible. Your brain wins the fight, not your gun.

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 10-22-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling error....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Very true SGT, as much as I hate the stupid stick hippies put EVERYWHERE in Asheville, minds only work when open. Being able to openly discuss is one of the best ways to educate yourself.
When I was in college I would eat lunch a couple times a week with a girl who was my polar opposite. I don't think we agreed on ANYTHING, be it political, religious, social, environmental, anything at all. During out lunches we would discuss everything under the sun and I learned more about the opposing view point from our lunches then any other source. This was only possible because we could openly talk and listen to eachother without getting upset. Same applies here. Great reminder SGT!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
How many of you at some point immediately dismissed something because of the general popular view on that subject?

Keep an open mind and learn as much as possible. Your brain wins the fight, not your gun.

Good post and points, Sgt Miller.

Personal testing, research and experimentation will give one the true answer in understanding and the best solutions that may work for them, and not work for someone else.

Majority has been proven wrong or misinformed from time to time, because someone conducted their own test and liked their own results.

That's the beauty of personal freedom of choice, and whatever works for you, in any, and all situations and circumstances.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #4

Yeah, but...

JD said I shouldn't get Airsoft rails for my AR15, even though they look the same to me as the Knights Armament rails... and at a fraction of the cost. He said he would laugh at me if I put them on...

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Yeah, but...

JD said I shouldn't get Airsoft rails for my AR15, even though they look the same to me as the Knights Armament rails... and at a fraction of the cost. He said he would laugh at me if I put them on...
Yeah, but he's laughing at you anyway just for asking...

Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Of course, avoiding ridicule from JD is an excellent reason to avoid something.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Yeah, but...

Seriously though, there was an article in Shotgun News 2 or 3 years ago about guys getting rails and such from Leapers and other airsoft suppliers before heading off to the sandbox because they could not get enough into the supply system. And they were actually holding up well in combat.

And to get this back on Sgt.Miller's orig topic, I agree. Anything that is too inflexible will eventually break. Training evolves because of the lessons learned by predecessors. Keep an open mind, and judge for yourselves if a certain tactic or philosophy has merit.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #8

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Training evolves because of the lessons learned by predecessors. Keep an open mind, and judge for yourselves if a certain tactic or philosophy has merit.
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I expect if taking advice from the masses includes people that have shot for many years, served in the military or in law enforcement. Yep those masses are EXactly who you should get advice from. It isn't so much "popular view" as it is real world experience. Imagine the qualified hands on experience to have a firearm to be considered good or bad. Not a single opinion but many people on on many forums expressing honest use of firearms and ammo.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I do my best to keep an open mind. I'm not embarrassed to ask questions and to learn new things. In fact. I really enjoy learning new things and my ego is such that I don't have any issues listening to experts.
However, I'm also of an age where I have acquired some wisdom and have some faith in my own judgment as well. It's a nice place to be.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 10-24-2009 at 05:00 AM.