Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/avoid-close-minded-syndrome-19337/)

SGT-MILLER 10-22-2009 12:17 PM

Avoid "Close-Minded" Syndrome

How many of you at some point immediately dismissed something because of the general popular view on that subject?

An example would be dismissing the use of a FMJ round for defense because of the general idea that the only good defensive rounds are hollowpoint or saying that revolvers are a poor choice for defense when compared to semi-automatics.

The worst thing you can do, in my opinion, when learning the how/what/when/where of defensive shooting is to blindly go with the masses without doing some research for yourself. Avoid becoming a "sheeple" at all costs. Use actual research conducted by others to help further your own opinions and knowledge, but make up your own mind in the end, and don't throw out ideas because they are mocked by large groups of other people.

Remember, at one point in history the idea of shooting a pistol with two hands was considered ridiculous. During those times a man shot with one hand and one hand only. Look at how the times has changed.

There is more than one way to do things in the world of defensive firearms. Learn from as many credible sources as you can, and use that information to make your own best judgements based on your own situation/envoirnment. If you have a preferred mindset towards something, and it works for you then stick with it. I encourage you not to immediately dismiss the ideas of others without researching the idea a little, though.

Keep an open mind and learn as much as possible. Your brain wins the fight, not your gun.

spittinfire 10-22-2009 12:23 PM

Very true SGT, as much as I hate the stupid stick hippies put EVERYWHERE in Asheville, minds only work when open. Being able to openly discuss is one of the best ways to educate yourself.
When I was in college I would eat lunch a couple times a week with a girl who was my polar opposite. I don't think we agreed on ANYTHING, be it political, religious, social, environmental, anything at all. During out lunches we would discuss everything under the sun and I learned more about the opposing view point from our lunches then any other source. This was only possible because we could openly talk and listen to eachother without getting upset. Same applies here. Great reminder SGT!

IGETEVEN 10-22-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER (Post 176405)
How many of you at some point immediately dismissed something because of the general popular view on that subject?

Keep an open mind and learn as much as possible. Your brain wins the fight, not your gun.

Good post and points, Sgt Miller.

Personal testing, research and experimentation will give one the true answer in understanding and the best solutions that may work for them, and not work for someone else.

Majority has been proven wrong or misinformed from time to time, because someone conducted their own test and liked their own results.

That's the beauty of personal freedom of choice, and whatever works for you, in any, and all situations and circumstances. :)

Jack

hydrashok 10-22-2009 10:39 PM

Yeah, but...

JD said I shouldn't get Airsoft rails for my AR15, even though they look the same to me as the Knights Armament rails... and at a fraction of the cost. He said he would laugh at me if I put them on... :D

M14sRock 10-23-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 176580)
Yeah, but...

JD said I shouldn't get Airsoft rails for my AR15, even though they look the same to me as the Knights Armament rails... and at a fraction of the cost. He said he would laugh at me if I put them on... :D

Yeah, but he's laughing at you anyway just for asking...

robocop10mm 10-23-2009 12:54 AM

Of course, avoiding ridicule from JD is an excellent reason to avoid something.

M14sRock 10-23-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrashok (Post 176580)
Yeah, but...

Seriously though, there was an article in Shotgun News 2 or 3 years ago about guys getting rails and such from Leapers and other airsoft suppliers before heading off to the sandbox because they could not get enough into the supply system. And they were actually holding up well in combat.

And to get this back on Sgt.Miller's orig topic, I agree. Anything that is too inflexible will eventually break. Training evolves because of the lessons learned by predecessors. Keep an open mind, and judge for yourselves if a certain tactic or philosophy has merit.

Highpower 10-23-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 176625)
Training evolves because of the lessons learned by predecessors. Keep an open mind, and judge for yourselves if a certain tactic or philosophy has merit.

Isn't that an oxymoron? :confused:

WDB 10-24-2009 04:12 AM

I expect if taking advice from the masses includes people that have shot for many years, served in the military or in law enforcement. Yep those masses are EXactly who you should get advice from. It isn't so much "popular view" as it is real world experience. Imagine the qualified hands on experience to have a firearm to be considered good or bad. Not a single opinion but many people on on many forums expressing honest use of firearms and ammo.

CA357 10-24-2009 04:58 AM

I do my best to keep an open mind. I'm not embarrassed to ask questions and to learn new things. In fact. I really enjoy learning new things and my ego is such that I don't have any issues listening to experts.
However, I'm also of an age where I have acquired some wisdom and have some faith in my own judgment as well. It's a nice place to be. ;)