Approached by Newbs... How to handle it - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Approached by Newbs... How to handle it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Those who know me know there is nothing I love more that the opportunity to introduce new shooters to our sport with the hope of creating not only a shooter, but a pro 2A voter as well.

I think we all recognize that the a fun day with a "bullet box" is far more persuasive than a lecture from a "soap box".

With these goals in mind, despite living in a predominately liberal area, I proudly wear my status as an avid shooter and volunteer RSO openly for all to see and carry that persona in a friendly approachable manner.

Last Sunday I was approached by a neighbor who's total firearms experience could be summed up in one trip to a skeet range 10 years ago. A couple of car break ins ins and 1 home burglary in our neighborhood has his wife worried and she's decided she'd like a gun for home protection.

They are leaning toward a pistol and we've scheduled a day to take them up to the range where I can introduce them the manual of arms for pistols and revolvers, and put them both behind my collection to see what they like.

These are very nice neighbor who are also CA transplants but I'm not sure of their politics... Regardless, it's a chance to create another ally for our side so I'm happy to make the investment.
Politics besides (If you enjoy your natural right to self protection join the NRA regardless of petty side politics you may or may not agree with OUR main focus is protecting the second amendment) should be checked at the door, there's no reason to bring anything other than guns up, that's the way I've been able to make so many friends from all sides of the fence, I keep my mouth shut about politics that aren't relevant, keep Obama comments to myself if they can't do the same I just change the subject. What your doing is the most important social work you could be, it's not worth destroying your good deed with petty and honestly trivial side politics when the bigger picture is SO MUCH MORE important.
The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1417 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 622

I fully agree to keep politics to yourself. If you turn them into shooters, their views will start to turn all on their own. When training, I as several times if there are any questions, and if a political question comes up, I try to keep it short and succinct and then move on.

One thing I do in the very beginning is place my carry gun on the table in front of everyone and stare at it. When someone finally asks why, I tell them I wanted them to be aware of exactly how often a gun goes off without human interaction. "Unlike what the media has told you, no one can get a hammer to drive nails by itself, a car to drive itself or a gun to 'go off' accidentally. Human interaction is always required." It usually breaks the tension and sets up the basis for the reason their are safety rules.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1417 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
This source shows it currently out of stock.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #24

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
Have them view this video several times at their leasure days prior to going to the range and then again the morning of the range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs&feature=player_embedded#!
This is by Barry Laws
Nice video! Blew my mind when I realized thats the range I go to! Very nice!