Applied Mathematics for Shooters Course - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Applied Mathematics for Shooters Course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 575 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I'm no physics major but it could be interesting. I'd love to understand the variables of snipers

But I don't understand this - from the "Coriolis Effect":

Quote:
If you are shooting north or south your drift will be to the right if you are in the northern hemisphere and left if you are in the southern hemisphere.
Doesn't make sense to me. When does class start?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I'm no physics major but it could be interesting. I'd love to understand the variables of snipers

The earth rotates would be the simplest way to explain.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:

Here's an animation showing the effect (from Wikimedia Commons). If you're looking standing over the shooter and the target, you'll see a similar effect (though not anywhere near as exaggerated in this image).

There are other effects acting on a projectile that are greater or lesser than the Coriolis effect, including drag, the Magnus effect, etc.. Many of these forces are insignificant, but cumulatively on long distance shots, they certainly affect the projectile. It floors me when I think of folks who can innately account for all these variables in 5 heartbeats.
dsc49.jpg  

Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I think, you need to tailor it to a specific group of "advanced" shooters.. But also offer some of it at a pabulum level for the general shooter, Such as how to understand and use Mil. correctly, same for MOA. How to use a mil scope to determine distance to animal target

Become steel or get cut.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #15

Liked 575 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

mountainman13,

I fully understand the earths rotation having an effect. But why always to the right when in the northern hemisphere and left when in the southern hemisphere? I think there is an error in the statement. Should it read to the right if shooting south from the northern hemisphere and left if shooting north from the southern hemisphere?

If you stand on the north pole and shoot toward the equator the point of aim will be shifted due to the earths rotation. Assuming your trajectory is straight it will land right of point of aim. Equator is moving right when viewing the earth. From the north pole it is moving left so your shot would land right of the point of aim.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
mountainman13,

I fully understand the earths rotation having an effect. But why always to the right when in the northern hemisphere and left when in the southern hemisphere? I think there is an error in the statement. Should it read to the right if shooting south from the northern hemisphere and left if shooting north from the southern hemisphere?

If you stand on the north pole and shoot toward the equator the point of aim will be shifted due to the earths rotation. Assuming your trajectory is straight it will land right of point of aim. Equator is moving right when viewing the earth. From the north pole it is moving left so your shot would land right of the point of aim.
Good point. Idk I'm No expert.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #17

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Maybe this will help understand. The water in a toilet swirls in an opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. Long Range riflemen are not just good shots. They are also good math students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_force