Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Anyone use firing positions other than the standard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone use firing positions other than the standard?

I was just wondering how many people practice shooting in other than the standard positions that you would at the range. I had seen a article on being able to fire from odd and less than ideal positions such as laying on your back or laying on your side as if you were knocked down. I am blessed with property that allows me to shoot when ever I get time and not worry and can practice this way where I know a range would rather you not do that. I was very different the first time I did it from feeling the mussel blast on my legs and learning the hard way that some positions make it hard to have the ideal grip on the pistol.

Kel Tec S2K and PF9
Ruger P345 and 10/22
Hi-Point C9 and 995ts
Mossburg 500
Beretta 21a
Chiappa 1911-22
mosin nagant 91/30
so many others on the wish list and so little money

Last edited by canebrake; 02-04-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I regularly shoot my rifles offhand. Prone, kneeling. standing and sitting is the extent of it. Of course I always shoot handguns offhand.

You have a good idea there. However, I can't do that where I shoot. I'm glad it works for you.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Liked 889 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Almost all of the tactical rifle drills I run involve movement to target, forward and lateral shooting, engaging multiple targets, barricade shooting, strong and support side transitions, primary to sidearm transitions etc, all pretty dynamic stuff.

I've developed a drill I call the Wounded Man Drill, which presumes you have been knocked down or injured and involves various positions and one-handed sidearm engagement from both strong and support sides, but I don't recommend it unless the shooter has plenty of experience on tactical or combat courses.

If you have your own range, start with simpler stuff, like a 1 through 5 drill. Set up three silhouettes abreast and engage from 20-30 yards, and time yourself or have someone time you...1 shot in the first target, 2 shots in the second, 3 in the third, 4 back in the second target and 5 back in the first target. A good beginner time on that drill would be all 15 rounds on the assigned targets in about 4.5 seconds. As you get more used to it, you can expand your range and add drills involving movement, etc.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Last edited by 7point62; 12-23-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also have enough land to practice on freely.And yes,it looks like a war zone with all the targets i have.It is essential to know how to shoot from a awkward position.I have gotten quite good at point shooting also.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #5

Liked 889 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Kyle Lamb is the man. Watch the whole vid, the end is the best. Again, this is a fairly simple drill that requires no movement to target, and a good introduction to tactical drills.

YouTube - VTAC 1-5 Rifle Drill!

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Last edited by 7point62; 01-02-2011 at 02:03 PM.