Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > any summer military/boot camps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default any summer military/boot camps?

Well since i was around 5 years old i have wanted to be a marine. I am 14 now and i was wondering if anyone knows of any military/boot camps or anything similar in illinois? I want to see what the training is like for real marines or similar to there training. I know they wont put me through the exact training but i want to to least go through something similar. All of the camps i have seen are more like rehabs or for teens that are out of control. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also i wasnt sure where to post this so i decided to post it here i hope thats ok.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Well since i was around 5 years old i have wanted to be a marine. I am 14 now and i was wondering if anyone knows of any military/boot camps or anything similar in illinois? I want to see what the training is like for real marines or similar to there training. I know they wont put me through the exact training but i want to to least go through something similar. All of the camps i have seen are more like rehabs or for teens that are out of control. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Ya go one the marines web site and look at the boot videos. Also start running your butt off, doing crunches, lifting weights, pull ups and any other work out you can think of

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

One of the best people to ask is a local recruiter.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
One of the best people to ask is a local recruiter.
Yep. There are several on here, me and trip included, who have been Crucified and most of boot never changes but enough does to make our experiences different than what you will face.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #5

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Be careful of recruiters. They often embellish or leave things out.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
Be careful of recruiters. They often embellish or leave things out.
Lie by omission

Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

(Laughing) One of our running cadences useta be "Hey young soldier, don't feel blue- my recruiter was a liar too!"

Actually, any promise that a recruiter makes IN WRITING must be met, or you are released from service.

As far as "Can I go to Basic Training without being a member of the service?"

No. Unqualified NO. Illegal. Can you get a small taste? Yes. Check schools in your area for a Junior ROTC program.

Your best route to military? Get into top physical condition, and stay there. Next, study like hell, make good grades, graduate top of your class. Most services require a minimum of a high school diploma. Was not always like that- I was a dropout, got a GED while in service (and a few degrees since)- but times have changed.

Some folks think the military looks for dummies that can't do anything else. Consider that a rifleman has a night vision scope that costs $8,625. A Javelin gunner (FGM-148 man portable Anti-tank missile) has a tracker that is $125,000, and each missile is $40,000.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5334 Times on 2784 Posts
Likes Given: 339

even the base private fresh out of training are almost to man/woman smarter individuals than your typical collegiate tenured proffessor and doctorate proffessor

if i had a choice of hiring an ex soldier fresh out of the military or a college graduate i will take the ex soldier any day. that dd214 says they actually accomplished something more than political indoctrination and rote memmory training.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 06-13-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

OK thanks ill get into better shape than im in now. Whe i join i want to be deployed and actually fight. I know some people are wondering why do you want to be deployed then you could be shot, blown up ,etc. Well i want to im not sure why but for some reason i want to. My principal was in the army and he told me im to smart for the army i have to much potential and to do something else. I told him firmly i would join anyway but thanks for the complement.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
OK thanks ill get into better shape than im in now. Whe i join i want to be deployed and actually fight. I know some people are wondering why do you want to be deployed then you could be shot, blown up ,etc. Well i want to im not sure why but for some reason i want to. My principal was in the army and he told me im to smart for the army i have to much potential and to do something else. I told him firmly i would join anyway but thanks for the complement.
Hate to say this but I highly doubt you will be in combat except against your own people by the time you are old enough to join. Also if you are too smart for the army you definitely too smart for the Corps. The marines want fighters......not so much brainiacs even though I scored higher on the asvab than most did-95 out of 99 and I still became a Marine.