Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Any reload classes in fl?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any reload classes in fl?

Hey guys ,
Just moved to fl near Tampa and I am thinking of learning how to reload!
I have a G23 and G29 and like to save some money and shoot more !
Anyone know of any classes offered for this ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

I don't think I've ever heard of a reloading class. There a plenty of books on the subject.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #3

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of a reloading class. There a plenty of books on the subject.
Neither have I, but the last two days I have been asked by two customers if I would teach them (for a small fee of course) I think there is about to be a reloading class in Iowa

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
NRA has them but nothing in Tampa area

Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Neither have I, but the last two days I have been asked by two customers if I would teach them (for a small fee of course) I think there is about to be a reloading class in Iowa
Yeah I was thinking business venture myself.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2276 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Lyman Reloading manuals are a great source.
Also, when you purchase beginner reloading equipment, you will have most of the stuff that you need to get started.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
Lyman Reloading manuals are a great source.
Also, when you purchase beginner reloading equipment, you will have most of the stuff that you need to get started.
Yes but I rather learn from someone who knows what they're doing and learn the essentials and products from the class so I don't have to start with the basic set up and spend money over and over and over on upgrades.
I am thinking if there's a class that I can take I can eliminate a lot of the trial upgrades

Old 08-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Bass pro has had classes that teach basics of reloading. Not sure if they still do them but I know Bass Pro in Ft. Myers had them on a flyer in the ammo section a while back.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverr1 View Post
Hey guys ,
Just moved to fl near Tampa and I am thinking of learning how to reload!
I have a G23 and G29 and like to save some money and shoot more !
Anyone know of any classes offered for this ?
If reloading for a Glock remember Glocks do not shoot lead bullets. Their barrels have major problems if cast lead, which is the cheapest bullet, is shot through them.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverr1 View Post
Yes but I rather learn from someone who knows what they're doing and learn the essentials and products from the class so I don't have to start with the basic set up and spend money over and over and over on upgrades. I am thinking if there's a class that I can take I can eliminate a lot of the trial upgrades
Hi denverr. I've been handloading/reloading for 43 years. Most of us learned on our own. Maybe some had a friend to coach them. Any reloading press/kit you buy should come with a set of instructions. Nothing wrong in starting with a decent single stage press as you learn the basics. That's how a lot of us started, and we still have our first press. A lot of us have more than one press now. The dies from that first press will fit any future presses you buy. You could also start with a progressive press. It's gonna cost ya more, but will speed things up considerably. Some progressive presses (Lee) can be a bit finicky to operate. I've owned some Lee progressive presses that constantly needed attention. Hopefully they've made some improvements in their current models. Maybe some other members can chime in with their experience with the current crop of Lee progressive presses. Over time, you will acquire a whole bunch of reloading stuff. It's just the nature of this wonderfully rewarding endeavor.

I see you have Glocks. I don't own a Glock, but I understand that cast bullets are not recommended in a Glock because it uses polygonal rifling. However, I've read that some use cast bullets in Glocks with good success. Maybe some other members can shed more light on that. Another important point to remember is that rimless rounds, as used in autos, headspace on the case mouth. So overall cartridge length is critical to reliable functioning. Rimmed cases, as used in revolvers, aren't as critical in this area. Controlling overall cartridge length takes place in the bullet seating stage. VERY CRITICAL FOR AUTOS! Don't load up a thousand rounds only to find that something ain't right. Load up a couple of magazines worth, and test them at the range. If everything seems OK, load a few more and test them. Once everything seems OK, then load a thousand or two.

I've read a number of posts where hard cast bullets were shot in stock Glocks. The consensus was to make sure the bullets were "hard" (19 BHN or harder), bullets fit the bore (not undersize), and keep velocity to around 900 FPS. Replacement barrels are available for around $100 which enable Glocks to shoot cast bullets. These replacement barrels use standard rifling rather than polygonal rifling. $100 spent on a replacement barrel will save you a ton of money over the long haul by allowing you to shoot cast bullets. This is the route I would suggest. I'm amazed that more Glock reloaders don't go this route. Maybe they just aren't aware of these replacement barrels. Or maybe there's something negative which I don't know about. How about it you Glock reloaders. Chime in here. (I know, I know. Glock probably says that replacing the barrel voids the warranty. Well most manufactures claim the same thing when using reloads, but we use them anyway.) Check out this web site for Glock replacement barrels: http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/2_Barrels/7424_Lone+Wolf+Barrels/

You won't save any money by reloading. You will just shoot more, at a lower cost. Nothing wrong with that. I cast my own bullets, so I can reload 9mm and 38's for about $2.00 a box. I have my own private shooting range on my property so I recover/recycle my lead from my homemade sand trap. That really helps to keep the cost down. You can buy once-fired cases much cheaper than new cases. Once you have the cases, your only recurring cost will be for primers, powder, and bullets (either jacketed-more expensive or cast-less expensive). If you really wanna save money, you can get in to bullet casting. But that's a whole other endeavor.

Go to youtube and do a search on reloading. Here's a video by Hickok45 to get you started. He has over 650 gun related videos on youtube. There are tons more at youtube. I currently use the Dillon 550B which is the blue press in his video. It's around $450, including the dies. Start watching and learning. It's fun and very rewarding! Just remember to always, always, always, be safe!

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 08-03-2012 at 05:23 PM.