any other certified instructor besides NRA??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > any other certified instructor besides NRA??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts

Default any other certified instructor besides NRA??

I want to get my instructor certification to teach CHL classes. Is there any other certification besides NRA certification? If it has to be NRA its going to be over a year before there's a class anywhere near me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2535 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Gunsmith,

Unfortunately, probably none that would be recognized by the general public or other entities. And that is an important issue when comes to teaching classes and having credibility. But if it is not a recognized certification it is not worth much and probably will limit attendance due to the fact. Another issue is, if you would ever have to go to court to defend the program, I would want and NRA Certified Program to verify my certification as well as the credibility of the course. Now days there is every tom, dick, and harry out there teaching everything under the sun to make a dollar. But some have little experience as well as none if any real recognized certifications of any kind. That will probably be fine until they run into any situations or legal issues. Teaching firearms is an area of liability where things can happen very easily. And Insurance is expensive to cover the courses if you insure for them. Of course the only way to do it is to have a business and Limited Liability Corporation in my opinion to somewhat protect you.
So with all of this said even if you have to take some vacation time and travel to an NRA school in the meantime it might be well worth your while. Or wait for the class to come to your area. But the NRA would be my choice for civilian instructors as well as LE instructors.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Gunsmith,

Unfortunately, probably none that would be recognized by the general public or other entities. And that is an important issue when comes to teaching classes and having credibility. But if it is not a recognized certification it is not worth much and probably will limit attendance due to the fact. Another issue is, if you would ever have to go to court to defend the program, I would want and NRA Certified Program to verify the credibility of the course. Now days there is every tom, dick, and harry out there teaching everything under the sun to make a dollar. But some have little experience as well as none if any real recognized certifications of any kind. That will probably be fine until they run into any situations or legal issues. Teaching firearms is an area of liability where things can happen very easily. And Insurance is expensive to cover the courses if you insure for them. Of course the only way to do it is to have a business and Limited Liability Corporation in my opinion to somewhat protect you.
So with all of this said even if you have to take some vacation time and travel to an NRA school in the meantime it might be well worth your while. Or wait for the class to come to your area. But the NRA would be my choice for civilian instructors as well as LE instructors.

Yeah that's probably the best option. Thank you

Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #4

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

The credentials required vary from state to state. Check with your state to see what you need to be certified to teach.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The credentials required vary from state to state. Check with your state to see what you need to be certified to teach.
Its in OK and I could use the NRA ORA or this thing called CLEET. Problem is they don't have any instructor courses for the rest of 2013 from what I can tell

Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unfortunately, patience is one of the best virtues of an instructor. Hone your shooting skills, take other classes, start making plans for when you do get your instructor certification. Write some lessons and pre-plan your teaching. There's a lot more to being a good instructor than any instructor certification.
Getting an instructor certification doesn't make one a good teacher. Take some teaching classes if there are any around you. Volunteer as an assistant to an instructor around you and learn some tricks of the trade.

Steve

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 944 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 229

NRA is a good place to teach firearms safety. Dig in, and do not look back, or quit your day job.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

In Texas the CHL instructors are taught by DPS (the State Police). Their instruction is specific to the CHL requirements.

I got mine through the FBI

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboy
I want to get my instructor certification to teach CHL classes. Is there any other certification besides NRA certification? If it has to be NRA its going to be over a year before there's a class anywhere near me
If you get set up and are in the metro area by the end of next year, I may be stopping by for my CHL depending on how fast I am able to go to class

Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #10

There's wont be any instructor courses until early 2014. I'm going to spend the time honing my shooting skills so I can be sure I pass the shooting qualifications.