Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Any good books to help a new shooter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/any-good-books-help-new-shooter-5739/)

tallguy130 07-21-2008 12:02 AM

Any good books to help a new shooter?

I just got into shooting about two months ago and I'm really enjoying it. Got my first gun and have been spending a fair amount of time at the range, learning what I can from doing it. However I don't come from a family with a lot of shooting knowledge and am learning the sport on my own as I go. Is there any good books out there to help the new shooter learn?

I just want to be safe and make sure I'm not learning any bad habits, joining the olympic sharp shooting team or the navy seals is most likely not in my future!

Thanks!

BigO01 07-21-2008 01:40 AM

Yes indeed plenty of books and videos to not only teach you new skills but to wet your appetite for all kinds of new aspects of the shooting sports from precision long range shooting to combat style tactics to reloading your own ammunition .

www.midwayusa.com

Has a good selection of books and video

www.gunvideo.com

and even your public library may have many things that will interest you .

The world is wide my friend and your journey just begun best of luck and happy adventures !!

c3shooter 07-21-2008 12:50 PM

So- what floats yer boat? Rifle, pistol, shotgun, flamethrowers, cannon? (Just kidding about the flamethrower) Skeet, trap, sporting clays? Silouhette shooting? Cowboy single action shooting? Muzzleloaders? Combat pistol? Leg matches? Just a good day punching holes in paper at 50 yds with a reliable 22? Or shooting belt fed money eaters? Check with your state rifle association, find some folks you can visit with, and see what you like. There are more different shooting sports than you could believe. For rifle, check and see if there is a "Project Appleseed" ongoing near where you live- a very sound basis for many riflemen. Also check with NRA (www.nra.org) for suggested reading (plug- you ARE a member, yes?) as well as your library, and commercial sources. And welcome!:)

tallguy130 07-21-2008 01:34 PM

Well good old-fashioned flamethrower duels do sound like fun but right now just target shooting with my little 22 handgun. In the future I would like to get a 22 rifle for more plinking and a handgun of a real caliber for home protection.

Thanks for the links also! I really am starting with no knowledge so any advice is very helpful.

CA357 07-21-2008 03:39 PM

+1 on the Appleseed shoots. One of my personal all time favorite books on shooting is "The Art of The Rifle" by Col. Jeff Cooper.

BTW, welcome here. It's a good place.

Dillinger 07-21-2008 04:10 PM

Art of the Rifle is a great selection - +1 on that.

Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster is an excellent novel that has more stats and figures, plus a wealth of long range shooting knowledge.

There are a few others, but they are geared totally towards long distance tactical shoots that I could recommend....

JD

matt g 07-23-2008 03:16 PM

I can't really suggest any books, but the more magazines that you put through your new gun, the better off you'll be.

I'm not sure what you're looking to shoot, but Massad Ayoob's work was a valuable asset when I first picked up my 1911. Col. Jeff Cooper is also one of the greats when it comes to firearms. Really though, the only thing that is going to really help you shoot better is to burn ammo. Reading is a good way to gain knowledge, but that knowledge is useless unless it has 'real world' application.

ranger_sxt 07-23-2008 06:59 PM

My core books consist of:

Green Eyes, Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb
The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford
No Second Place Winner by Bill Jordan

tallguy130 07-23-2008 07:39 PM

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm learning a lot from this forum and all the help is really getting me on my way.

Its an addictive sport! I'm already looking for my next purchase!

G21.45 07-24-2008 12:25 AM

:) Check this link out -

NRA Education

Now, here's two of the most useful internet firearms links you're ever going to find -

Bullseye Pistol Encyclopedia

Army Marksmanship Unit

Good luck to you!