Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Any good books?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any good books?

Greetings everyone,
I'm a beginner in the fire arms community and wish to learn. I've taken a short class but wish to learn more. Are there any books that anyone could suggest that would aide me in my education of fire arms? I currently own a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm and am very happy with. But I would like to understand more about it and firearms in general. I would like to purchase a shotgun and rifle. I am very interested in a M1a and a M1 garand (garand is a dream rifle).
Please inform me in where is a good place to purchase and what I should be knowledgeable about.
Thank you
Adam

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

Liked 6103 Times on 3695 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

I was gifted with a 6 set DVD called Cold Steel Never Unarmed. I learned a LOT from those DVD's. But my best learning came from going shooting with others who are way more experienced than I am.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #3

Liked 7548 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Howdy, and welcome to the forum. Good folks here.

Books. Egad. My hobby turned to buying bookCASES. There are 8 in my office now. Firearms is SUCH a broad field- sort of like asking for one book on cars.

Here is a start- http://www.amazon.com/M1-GARAND-Classic-American-Firepower/dp/0974838934/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319545550&sr=1-3 And DO take note of the USED book prices.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

I don't have much on the way of firearms related reading material, but I do have a few close quarters defense books. One of the better ones I have read is Combatives for Street Survival by Kelly McCann.

If you are a talker, look into the "Verbal Judo" technique. There are a bunch of books, tapes/CDs and lecture materials out there. The way you converse with the contacts you make will almost always determine the outcome of your situation. I have been through the training, and it certainly helps.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For US Martial Arms books, Scott Duff Publications & Historic Martial Arms: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, Krag, M1911A1, Scott Duff, has a great selection, including definitive books on the M1 Garand and M14/M1A.

[Shameless Plug] He also publishes and sells my six books . [/End Shameless Plug]

Regards,

Walt

Author, NEW! The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide, The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
Certified Glock Armorer