Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Training & Safety (
-   -   Any good books? (

MrAdamSK 10-25-2011 09:01 AM

Any good books?
Greetings everyone,
I'm a beginner in the fire arms community and wish to learn. I've taken a short class but wish to learn more. Are there any books that anyone could suggest that would aide me in my education of fire arms? I currently own a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm and am very happy with. But I would like to understand more about it and firearms in general. I would like to purchase a shotgun and rifle. I am very interested in a M1a and a M1 garand (garand is a dream rifle).
Please inform me in where is a good place to purchase and what I should be knowledgeable about.
Thank you

winds-of-change 10-25-2011 09:49 AM

I was gifted with a 6 set DVD called Cold Steel Never Unarmed. I learned a LOT from those DVD's. But my best learning came from going shooting with others who are way more experienced than I am.

c3shooter 10-25-2011 12:25 PM

Howdy, and welcome to the forum. Good folks here.

Books. Egad. My hobby turned to buying bookCASES. There are 8 in my office now. Firearms is SUCH a broad field- sort of like asking for one book on cars.

Here is a start- And DO take note of the USED book prices.

RecklessRegard 10-25-2011 01:44 PM

I don't have much on the way of firearms related reading material, but I do have a few close quarters defense books. One of the better ones I have read is Combatives for Street Survival by Kelly McCann.

If you are a talker, look into the "Verbal Judo" technique. There are a bunch of books, tapes/CDs and lecture materials out there. The way you converse with the contacts you make will almost always determine the outcome of your situation. I have been through the training, and it certainly helps.

wjkuleck 10-25-2011 09:55 PM

For US Martial Arms books, Scott Duff Publications & Historic Martial Arms: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903, Krag, M1911A1, Scott Duff, has a great selection, including definitive books on the M1 Garand and M14/M1A.

[Shameless Plug] He also publishes and sells my six books ;) . [/End Shameless Plug]