Another Snap Cap Thread
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Another Snap Cap Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2360 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

Default Another Snap Cap Thread

This isn't about whether to use snap caps or not. Some do, some don't. But for those that do, I have a question. How long do these things last?

I was doing some dry fire with snap caps. I racked a little too far and wound up with a jam. I locked the slide back and ejected the magazine, but the snap cap would not come out of the chamber. The extractor had failed to pull the cap out. I couldn't shake it out, I couldn't tap it out. Finally had to push it out with a cleaning rod.

The edge of the snap cap feels a little rough. Some of the enamel on the outside is also roughed up. The body is just aluminum, so it gets eaten up by the steel parts in the pistol. Any idea how many cycles they're good for?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Man, I don't think there would be like an average to go off of here. I think this is one of those things that you just use until it's worn out and then you just throw away. Keep a few extra on hand.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #3

Probably right. I got the snap caps about 6-9 months ago, but I haven't been using them that much (at least I thought I hadn't). I used them for a while randomly mixed in to magazines, maybe 2 snaps with 5 live rounds. I also used them off and on for dry fire practice. Mostly chasing the damn things around was too much hassle and went with empty dry fire.

Edit: For a while I was alternating 5 live and 5 snap. That way I could practice a dry fire between live rounds. About 4-5 weeks of that actually helped break me of jerking the trigger.

Lately I've been using them to practice magazine changes including racking the slide to reload from slide lock. But I didn't think I'd used them that much. Actually the ones that look like they've been used the most are not the one that jammed. But its edge seems the most abraded.

Guess I'm just being stupid cheap. Drop the next $15 on new caps. If they last 6 months it's just $30 per year. But the $15 is another box of practice ammo. Eh, never mind me whining. Got any good suggestions for where to get snap caps for less?

NM. Found on Amazon for about $11.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Last edited by Balota; 10-22-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't use them myself. I used to, but ran into the exact thing you're running into now.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3095 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Be very careful with snap caps.

There are two very loud noises with snap caps:
1. One is when the firearm goes "click" when it should go "BANG" (think self-defense),
2. One is when the firearm goes "BANG" when it should go "click" (think when checking a firearm out in the kitchen).

If I don't use them, I avoid those noises.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9754

I would imagine once they stop ejecting, it's time to buy new ones.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I would imagine once they stop ejecting, it's time to buy new ones.
Yes, mom!

Balota

Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Yes, mom!
*mumbles something profane under my breath*

Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #9

Someone on a different forum had a YouTube link showing how to disassemble and clean the striker chamber and its contents on an XDm. As I was watching the disassembly process, I noticed that the striker has a long slot that keeps the striker from rotating. The retaining pin goes through that slot. Apparently, when you don't use snap caps, the striker hits the retaining pin. That is the impact that causes the pin failure. From now on, I'm committed to using snap caps for dry fire practice.

Balota

Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9507 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Just buy Remington ammo.

You will get anough dud rounds to let you practice your "5 live, 2 dead" routine.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.