Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRifle View Post
Just re-read the story, he was trying to trade that gun in. Who brings a loaded weapon to trade in the first place? Any when he asked for a trade in value why didn't the dealer rack the slide or check the chamber? There may be more than one ignorant person in this story.
But you don't understand . . . He didn't think it was loaded! . See?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #42
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

A sad story. As Trip said earlier, if it was my child, they would find 2 bodies.

To me, it was a simple lack of critical thinking. Rule 1 is keep your finger off the bang switch, rule 2 is always assume that the gun is loaded. Even if you know that it is empty, check and make sure it is, then check again. Rule 3 is even more basic than the first 2, never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy. Simple rules that will prevent a tragedy everytime, and yet there are so many that do not follow them.

The father will have to live with this for the rest of his life. So will the rest of this boy's family, and their friends. This is why I passed on the tradition of knowing the NRA's ten rules of gun safety to my wife and my daughter. It was taught to me by my mother and father before I even handled my first firearm, and as of today, I have only had one AD. That was due to my father and I not knowing that the firing pin on a Jennings J22 protrudes into the chamber when the gun is on "safe". Due to the fact that the rules of safety were followed, all that happened was we both almost needed a change of underwear.

I will not pass judgement on the father, I can assure you that, right now, he is doing enough of that on his own. My ex-wife and her second husband lost a son in a very tragic fashion that I will not go into here. This was 3 years ago, and they are both still living with the consequences and guilt of the events of that day. I still miss their son, and I have seen, first hand what this kind of loss does to a person. No amount of finger pointing and blame will ever bring either of these boys back.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #43

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Default accidental death of a seven year old.

Fist off my heart and prayers are with the the family. Now the meat and potatoes. Yesterday my local news program aired a report about the accidental death of a seven year old outside of a local gun shop. Apparently the father had ejected the mag and placed his 9mm pistol on the dashboard without clearing the chamber. Somehow the gun slide and went off hitting the child in the chest. But instead of showing the police or what not they decided to show walls and walls of guns in the gun shop. Just kind of pissed me off. /rant

Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 678

links at all??

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #45

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

We already have a full thread going on it. I can't link from my phone though. Look at something along the lines of "incident and lack of training."

Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #46

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

people without LOTS of ability/nerve control with guns should stick to knives and clubs, actually. then they are lots less likely to mess up so badly. I;ve seen mere match stress make guys fire ND's, so i'd trust VERY few men around me to have a gun out and in hand, under combat stresses.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #47

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

No matter where you live you must always be prepared even if the threat comes from a rogue pine tree! Lol

Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #48
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Guns, like cars come with owner's manuals. Very few read either. Both accidentally kill people regularly.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

police have a much higher incidence of negligent discharge per capita than the private citizens in the usa do...

you cant say training has any effect on ND. stupid is stupid. mix stupid with anything from beach balls to aircraft carriers and folks are going to get hurt.

http://youtu.be/TzzyxZ-UzMY

http://youtu.be/unXNdrtf2_g

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-16-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #50

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I think that a few people misread the story the father was trying to sell a rifle and his pistol and the sales clerk told him that they don't buy guns coming in off the street.(Not a direct quote from the story but dang close).So where some of you have also pit blame on the store clerk, sorry incorrect.It's definitely a tragedy and something this man will never be able to forget.I can only imagine the nightmares yet to come.It's unbelievable that this guy did not check his guns at home before he brought them to be sold.However there is only one person here to blame and right now he's going through a world of pain.