Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2497 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2403

Training won't fix stupid. 44 years old and doesn't know dangerous things come out the end of a firearm? Not smart enough to check it or carry it properly. Not smart enough to not point it at someone you love. Sounds like a complete lack of common sense, no amount of training will fix that. If we get started on this training nonsense next thing you know we will have the government telling us where and how much training we need and you know the cost will be stupid high if it's a government run program.

Blaming anyone else for this is ridiculous too. There is only one person responsible for this and that's the guy who was handling the weapon. Don't make me and other gun owners pay for this guy's or anyone elses mistakes.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #32

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Training won't fix stupid. 44 years old and doesn't know dangerous things come out the end of a firearm? Not smart enough to check it or carry it properly. Not smart enough to not point it at someone you love. Sounds like a complete lack of common sense, no amount of training will fix that. If we get started on this training nonsense next thing you know we will have the government telling us where and how much training we need and you know the cost will be stupid high if it's a government run program.

Blaming anyone else for this is ridiculous too. There is only one person responsible for this and that's the guy who was handling the weapon. Don't make me and other gun owners pay for this guy's or anyone elses mistakes.
I get your point, but why the hell should he be allowed to carry in the first place if he is stupid ? at least if you want to drive a car you have to pass a Test, display some level of competency. It's about minimizing the risk, otherwise it's like giving a bunch of kids a whole load of 9mm's and say go and play. I know how you guys value your 2A rights and I am totally supportive /envious of that, but there must be a way without infringing on those rights. That bullet may have not stopped with that child.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
Not legal no. But the process of probation in clubs I think is a good one because you get to know an individuals character before He's unleashed onto the world with a firearm. It gives them the opportunity to learn how to be safe around others and have good gun discipline. As I originally stated there are exceptions to obtaining ownership but in England most people have to be affiliate with a club. I was merely using this as an example of a way training and responsible ownership can be given /learnt..there may well be a better way. I would never suggest legislating due to the individual, we've lost too much ownership rights in this country already though this. You will always have a nutjob who slips through the net. But if there is a way of ensuring all gun owners get some basic safety training it would reduce many tragic incidents such as this. We can't rely on people reading a manual, and why should anyone else be put at risk just because a guy is a dumb ass?

Firearms training is not something i am dismissing. I haven't made up my mind yet but i think we have already enough hoops to jump trough to get a firearm.
Taking a driving test for example doesn't stop people driving dangerously and having accidents.
Excepting that we are human and can be negligent is important. The people posting that they know everything and it will never happen to them are the ones you want to worry about.

Highly trained individuals have N/DS all the time police army special forces etc.

Last edited by manta; 12-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Humans make errors. Brain-fades happen.
I stress safety everytime I go shooting.
Does that mean that I will not have a ND? No.

I encourage everyone to read the users manual on everything. If you do not have one, then get one from the internet or manufacturer.

Every firearm has a users manual that comes with the basic rules. All one has to do is read and obey them.
A small booklet being read and adhered to would have saved the kid's life.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #35

That's all true. The problem is stupid people either won't read it or won't adhere to it. Making the rest of us jump through hoops to save the stupid people isn't the way to go. As far as a drivers test is concerned we all know that test is a joke and it doesn't save the stupid people either.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post

Firearms training is not something i am dismissing. I haven't made up my mind yet but i think we have already enough hoops to jump trough to get a firearm.
Taking a driving test for example doesn't stop people driving dangerously and having accidents.
Excepting that we are human and can be negligent is important. The people posting that they know everything and it will never happen to them are the ones you want to worry about.
Agreed, but if we can help ourselves in reducing the amount of 'own goals ' it would also be helpful to our sport/rights. We all know it only takes one incident or individual for a media frenzy or knee jerk reaction from the gov. In reducing what we can own.
Self regulation would be better but impossible if there's No affiliation. From our part of the world I certainly dont think there are anymore hoops we can jump through and I wouldn't suggest any more . I certainly Don't know enough about the background checks across the pond to have an optinion on whether they are enough. But I would certainly open it up to those guys whether the risks are acceptable or not. I would love to have their 2a but I would also like to be confident that the guy next to me knows what the hell he's doing with that big piece of metal strapped to his waist. It's a fine balance but I certainly dont have all the answer's I just hate to see a terrible waste of life which may have been avoided. Thoughts anyone?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
Agreed, but if we can help ourselves in reducing the amount of 'own goals ' it would also be helpful to our sport/rights. We all know it only takes one incident or individual for a media frenzy or knee jerk reaction from the gov. In reducing what we can own.
Self regulation would be better but impossible if there's No affiliation. From our part of the world I certainly dont think there are anymore hoops we can jump through and I wouldn't suggest any more . I certainly Don't know enough about the background checks across the pond to have an optinion on whether they are enough. But I would certainly open it up to those guys whether the risks are acceptable or not. I would love to have their 2a but I would also like to be confident that the guy next to me knows what the hell he's doing with that big piece of metal strapped to his waist. It's a fine balance but I certainly dont have all the answer's I just hate to see a terrible waste of life which may have been avoided. Thoughts anyone?

We all would like to be safe or feel safe but it's life there are risks. Far more people die in cars every year than are killed by gun related accidents. I feel safer at the range with strangers than I do on the highway getting to the range. Legislation is not the answer. Legislation has never saved anybody from their own stupidity. A great man once said "those that give up their liberty for safety deserve neither".

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #38
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I try (but don't always succeed) to give benefit of doubt.

Considering the number of "accidents" of autos versus firearms, we still have a good safety record in the US in the firearms field.
The reason for the quotes is that I believe there is more true negligence (drunk driving, texting, not paying attention, finger on the trigger, non-maintenance) that get people killed than a true accident.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post

We all would like to be safe or feel safe but it's life there are risks. Far more people die in cars every year than are killed by gun related accidents. I feel safer at the range with strangers than I do on the highway getting to the range. Legislation is not the answer. Legislation has never saved anybody from their own stupidity. A great man once said "those that give up their liberty for safety deserve neither".
Nicely put

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #40

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Just re-read the story, he was trying to trade that gun in. Who brings a loaded weapon to trade in the first place? Any when he asked for a trade in value why didn't the dealer rack the slide or check the chamber? There may be more than one ignorant person in this story.