Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Another Sad Incident of Lack of Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I have sympathy for the mother, and the kid, but the father deserves none. There is no excuses for his negligence and he should be prosecuted for manslaughter and jailed.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #12

Liked 838 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1735

The father claimed he had the magazine out but “didn’t realize there was another round still in the chamber…” (????)… Did this **** NOT understand how the weapon operates?? Did he just buy it at the store… therefore the basic operation should have been explained in detail by the gun store staff (…and thus legally should fall on their shoulders as well!!)… Did the weapon NOT have a safety ??? Every weapon I carry on a daily basis does… and I will personally not carry one that doesn’t have that feature (BTW… my old Radom pistol has the “mag out safety” feature as well).

Either way…. An innocent boy is dead… and he can’t come back because of carelessness. I’m printing the story off and (for a while at least) putting it up in the door of my gun cabinet to reinforce my own good habits and to remind my son to practice his.
PS- If this **** has a carry/conceal permit issued by the great state of Pennsylvania... maybe they should yank it. He's obviously a danger to the public... to say the least.

Last edited by NC1760; 12-09-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

If it was in a case when not in a holster prolly never happen even if loaded and cocked.

I dont start from a stand point of assuming our membership here on the forums are irresponsible morons who dont know what they are doing. Thats how we end up with government running our lives and telling us what church we have to go to and what food we cant eat and whether we can smoke or not.

If you go back and look at postings where the op states they have no gun experience the first thing most people here tell em is seek some proffessional training in firearms safety and handling

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #14

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1345

I cant imagine what the father must be going through. I am sure he feels guilty enough without the gun community dog piling on him.

I carry my guns to and from the range in a range bag. And they are in storage boxes in the bag. If I am carrying a gun it is in a holster that fully covers the trigger even if it is in my pocket. I visually check the chamber of a gun I think is empty every time I pick it up.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Keep your finger off the trigger. And never point it at something you don't wish to destroy. It's that simple. Bad things happen in result of even the most simple mistakes.
All guns are loaded at all times. Even when you go to academy or bass pro and look at a gun treat it as if it was loaded.
Important rules you should never forget. How many times have you seen a person at a gun shop/bass pro wave a empty piece around aiming and pointing everywhere around the counter. I have seen it all to offen, and it just reminds me how easy it is to get a gun. I feel for everyone in this story, even the father. He's has to live with this, and knowing his ignorance killed his son. What a shame, in another few years we could have been sharing this forum with that young man that lost his life.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #16

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
You should have a pistol loaded somewhere within 5 feet for home defense. What would you do if someone broke in to harm your family?
"Hold on Mr. Criminal. I have to load my pistol/shotgun/rifle."

Good luck with that. . . . .etc.
My son's in college. I live alone. The violent crime rate where I live is zero. Here is a picture of where I live:
adirondacks_winter_weekend_getaway.jpg  

Last edited by Vincine; 12-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #17

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
My son's in college. I live alone. Here is a picture of where I live:
I am so jealous of you

Old 12-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
If you go back and look at postings where the op states they have no gun experience the first thing most people here tell em is seek some proffessional training in firearms safety and handling
VERY true sir. I realize not everyone has the advantage of growing up in a gun owner or law enforcement household (like I had the benefit of...). That's why I have always extended my hand to help newbies and always listened to the experience of others as well. The long term effect could overt a tragedy... like in this case. Poor little guy.....

Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #19

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1345

He may have pulled the trigger. I am not saying he didn't. I wasn't there. But I am wondering if there were other things in the console that could have hit the trigger. That I why I transport guns that are not being used for SD in their proper boxes.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I cant imagine what the father must be going through. I am sure he feels guilty enough without the gun community dog piling on him.
Don't count on it. He's 44 years old and still this stupid ?? I stand by my previous statement about yanking his carry permit if he has one. But as for him doing prison time over this... no. In the end, he's got to live with himself and sleep at night. Good luck with that fella.