Ammunition question?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ammunition question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ammunition question?

I have about 10 rounds of .380 ACP that I cycle tested through one of my mags just to check function. A couple of the rounds look as though the bullets got pushed down a bit in the casing and one of them has a small dent in the side. Would you think these would still be OK to fire without having my hand or pistol blow up? The pistol is a Russian Makarov.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #2

Don't shoot it!
When the bullets are press back down into the case as you said, not enough crimp was used and its dangerous to fire them.
An increase in pressure.
As they hit the ramp going into the barrel, not enough force was exerted crimping the bullet to the caseand this causes the push back.
If these are doing that, the ones you tested, the remainer of the box/lot will do it as well as you shoot them.
If you've ever seen an old ARMY issue .45 ACP round, many had a SEVERE crimp at the point where the bullet was seated into the case.
This was to prevent what you have happening with the .380.
I hope these were reloads, factory normally does NOT have this issue.
Good luck...

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They're CCI Blazer rounds. I ran them a few times and it looks as if only a few had that happen maybe 3/10, but I'll set aside the dented one and the pushed in ones just to be safe. Hate to pay $15/box for range ammo and not get to use some of it. Guess I shouldn't have been messing with it.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2623 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

TA

Do not shoot any round where the bullet has been forced and recessed down from normal position. No matter 380, 5.56/223 or what ever caliber. Shooting them can cause excessive chamber pressure causing the weapon to have what is called a catastrophic event in the industry. "BLOW UP!" For example if the weapon had for example a normal pressure of 56,000 psi. chamber pressure when the round is fired. These rounds for example could cause the psi to exceed 76,000 psi. Therefore a major problem "Blow Up" and certainly not worth the risk of tearing up a perfectly good weapon.
That has happened to the AR-15 rifle more than I care to mention.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

alright, well I will definitely leave those alone then. On a side note, seeing as the Makarov was designed to fire 9x18 Makarov and I could easily re-barrel it and use 9x18 (though I probably wont) I assume it would be perfectly safe for me to fire .380 Auto +P out of said pistol?