Almost a nightmare at the range
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Almost a nightmare at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Default Almost a nightmare at the range

On Saturday 1/24/2015 after lunch, I got my gear and headed over to the local outdoor shooting range to practice with my 45ACP. When I got there, several stations were open, so I chose the one that was open the furthest to the left, on the pistol side, which is closest to the range master's booth. It seems to me that it is safer at one of the two ends than stuck somewhere in the middle.

During the next ceasefire, I posted my target as usual, noticing that the next two targets on my right were free.

After a short while of practice, a male shooter in his 30's arrive with two female shooters in their 20's -- a blonde and a brunette. He was apparently showing them how to shoot, which they had never done before. They took the position directly to my right.

The brunette was pretty good, instinctively doing everything right and paying attention. She shot about 5 times, had good form, and did everything the guy told her to do. No problems.

When it was the blonde's turn, she gripped the pistol in the two handed position like the brunette had done, and aimed at the target. But then she for some reason turned around to her left, and looked behind her, at the guy who had brought her, and started talking to him, which swung the muzzle of the pistol she was holding right at me as she turned.

I immediately noticed the hazard, so I ducked backwards and dodged out of her line of fire, shouting "Jesus!" as I did so.

She then looked at me, which swung the muzzle even more to her left, now pointing it directly at the guy to my left, who did not notice it because he was engrossed with shooting his 22LR AR-15 left handed -- so she was now pointing the pistol at his back.

Everyone in our section of the range was shocked, and all the shooting stopped, while we all backed away from the stations and away from her. Finally the guy who brought her, who had been paying attention to the brunette and not to her at the moment, turned back to her and saw what was happening. Then he jumped forward and grabbed both her hands and turned her back towards downrange, and told her, "No, no, no -- you need to keep the gun pointed downrange always."

She then said, "Oh." Then she commenced firing, so obviously there were rounds in the chamber and magazine, and her finger had been on the trigger the whole while.

The guy later came over to me and apologized. I did not say anything. I just shook my head. But I waited for them to finish, before I advanced back to my station.

Fortunately, they left soon afterwards, to move over to the rifle section with their encased long gun (which looked like an AR from a distance), when the guy's name was finally called for an open station on the rifle side. After they left the pistol side, I resumed practicing.

The guy who did not notice she had pointed the pistol at his back came over to me and asked me about it. I replied to him that, yah, although he had not noticed, she had pointed her pistol first at me, then at him, squarely at his back, and her pistol was loaded and chambered, and her finger was on the trigger. It unnerved him, and he packed his gear and left all upset.

This experience illustrates that everyone at the range must always be aware of everyone else there and of what everyone else is doing. The guy on my left could have been shot dead, and he would never have known what hit him.

This experience also illustrates that it is never safe to bring two inexperienced guests to a shooting range with you. Bringing one is borderline, if you are not a certified instructor. Bringing two beauties like that and ignoring the one who was starting to shoot for the first time in her life while he was flirting with the other one was hazardous and could have been fatal for someone at the range.

The sensation that I got while her muzzle was pointed right at me from less than 2 feet way was like someone swinging at me with their fist. That's why I ducked and dodged backwards instinctively the instant I saw it happening.

Then that little voice inside of us all told me there was no way that I dared go back up to my shooting station while she was standing there holding a gun. I fully expected her to kill someone at the range before very long.

I don't know what it is about some blondes. But this is why there are so many jokes about them. Even so, negligent manslaughter at the shooting range would NOT have been a joke.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-26-2015 at 11:17 AM.
People Like This 

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
Liked 380 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Glad everyone is ok. I can't say I have a lot of experience at ranges as I have land to shoot on at home. I have used our local range for popping clays with a shotgun, and I can say that everyone I was with seemed to be aware of their surrounding and very safe in their practices. That said, as I read your post, I halfway expected you to write that they responded rudely. I have heard of jokers muzzelsweeping and behaving stupidly and then being too thick headed or ignorant to realize how serious handling a firearm is. Might have been a good idea to inform the range officer.
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 01-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Liked 1155 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Another reason I rarely go to any ranges , unless its just to muddy here or the weather only permits us to shoot indoors.
Took both boys out Saturday, 12 and 16 for some 100 yard shooting at 4"x6" ar500 plates using a 1-4 scope . I think they did pretty well . This is the furthest they have shot out to . I usually have them shoot at 50 yards but its time to open it up a bit .

Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 01-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Liked 2391 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

I am truly blessed. I have a 'range' 30 feet from my back door!!!
Their is a 'public' range just a few miles away and I have built a FOP Range just up the road so I, and those who live here, are very blessed in this regard.
Sorry to hear about the 'problem' but keep up the 'instruction' and 'education' of EVERYONE you can, especially the young people of all genders and races!!!
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
People Like This 
Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Liked 3607 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 1588

And this is from the President of our range:
Had a report to the Range Safety Officer that Saturday, 24 January 2015, between 3:30 and 4 pm, a hunter north of ERGC's range had several bullets go by him while he was in his tree stand.
ERGC's land ends at the north berm and sometimes, there are people in those woods north of the club so it is very important that we all make a special effort to ensure all rounds stay inside the range, hitting the berm.
Bullets hitting the sand will ricochet and need to impact a berm.
Please check your target placement to ensure all rounds, even those that hit the ground, stay inside the range.

Jeff Clites
President, ERGC"
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
tonydewar Likes This 
Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Liked 856 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Public ranges Suck! Its bad enough the idiots are among us to begin with.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 01-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Liked 692 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I love my private range. I pay good money for the privledge of being a member. When I see something like that I get right in the offender's face. It's my life, my safety and I'm not going to let someone's ignorance ruin my time at the range.
You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

When the yahoos show up, the only smart thing to do is leave.

Shooting with two inexperienced shooters can be done safely. You just have one shooting station. Have the one watch while you coach the other.

If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Liked 362 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 146

A new shooter requires completely undivided attention. I also did the world's fastest duck when a guy next to me was showing his girlfriend where the safety was on the pistol, so he turned the gun sideways while she was still holding it to point to the safety lever.

Even more stupid: At an indoor range, a guy was with his granddaughter, about 9 years old. While she was shooting, he went to chat with his buddies at another lane. When the girl wanted to ask him a question, she turned with the gun, sweeping everyone at the range to see where he was.
Shoobee Likes This 
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Liked 1172 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
I love my private range. I pay good money for the privledge of being a member. When I see something like that I get right in the offender's face. It's my life, my safety and I'm not going to let someone's ignorance ruin my time at the range.

I agree! On a private range now...self patrolled and ID required.

Was sighting an Eotech at 100yds a few years back at a range just South of Ft Worth with my wife when she screamed and broke my concentration...2 idiots had made it about halfway to the targets with new paper and stapler in hand...😳

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It
gr8oldguy Likes This