all weather training

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > all weather training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default all weather training

Something I wanted people to think about is training in different kinds of weather and stress levels. Not every day can be sunny, and calm sky’s so I believe it is very important to shoot in different kinds of weather and environments such as rain, snow, , and dark. Also wanted to wanted to talk about shooting under stress, and some of the effects on the body and how maybe you can re create these in a safe atmosphere to practice.

Now I know for military, law enforcement, and even some armed security (aka mall ninja’s) work in all weathers and environments so being able to shoot in them is a must. Well even if your just a plain ccw holder and carry for protection its just as important.

Rain can effect vision, hearing, smell, grip on your hand gun because hands are wet and slippery, your clothes or jacket could be wet and kind of heavy or you could be holding a umbrella. So taking some time learning to draw and shoot your weapon while it is raining would be a plus and easy to recreate just go to the range when its raining.

Snow can also effect your vision if its snowing, also it might be slippery on the ground, grip on the firearm, Are you wearing a big winter jacket, gloves. How you dress can be a big factor how you hold that gun or access that gun you have to train with winter gear to have some profincy.

Night shooting. Easy way to practice night shooting that I was taught was use some dark sun glasses. Also if you can go shoot while its dark can help too.

Stress is a big factor in miss shots in a shooting situation now you cant train for every situation you can train with your heart rate elevated enough to know what a small amount of what your body goes thorough when the chips are down. I have heard of plenty of situations and my own experiences that hearing goes out the door, you feel like every action takes a life time. But in reality its over in a few seconds. So when your practicing a couple of things you might try is get the heart rate up do some running, jumping jacks something to elevate the heart. Then draw and shoot. That’s why competition shootings great.

Well that’s just some stuff I had on my mind and some of the stuff I train for to make sure I have a good base of the shtf. Good luck and have fun.

Just saying

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2540 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

FatMan,

You are exactly correct! Other things to consider is the ability to draw a pistol when wearing a light jacket and also a heavy winter jacket.
Another issue long guns do not mount in the shoulder the same way they do in the summer when you have a light shirt on. In the winter with a heavy jacket the rifle or shogun mounts totally different. And will move your sights trigger and everything farther forward away from you. If you have a scope with a set for a specific eye relief it certainly can be effected. Not to mention your fingers getting cold and having no feeling regarding trigger pull. All good points you have mentioned and the training is important when it comes to self defense or even hunting for that matter!

It doesn't take much to prove to yourself what we are speaking of. Mount your favorite shotgun into your shoulder with a T-Shirt on. Then put on a thick winter coat! Put your CCW on and get it out from the heavy coat that is zipped up!
You be the judge!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

ya I agree, I go shooting all year around (I don't call it training, it sounds more fun this way). When I go hunting it isn't going to be all nice in warm everyday 90% of the weather is crap during deer season. Same with CnC you never know when your going to need to use it, there are a million variables that can change at any moment.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 372

unfortunately my outdoor range doesnt allow anything but paper targets which dont hang well in the rain but i shoot every weekend outdoors when the range is open. unfortunately last weekend and this are both hellidays so no rifle shooting till next weekend

tommorrow its indoor 22's

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Fatman everything your saying is exactly right! The only range near me is a state run range and they only allow stationary shooting on paper targets. But the really goid part about pa weather is nobody wants to shoot in the winter when its freezeing and snowing and like wise to our heavy rain! I love to get out there when the weather is bad becuase i have the range to myself and am free to 'bend' the rules a little if apsolutely nobody is there.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
in different kinds of weather
I take one shot every day so I know what to expect in all conditions.
Quote:
and stress levels
I'll run up my hill then take the shot/shots without rest... mostly because walking takes too long.
Here is my latest extreme weather shot... one shot that day.