??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes" - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > ??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Handguns:
grip, trigger control, sight picture

Rifles:
breathing, trigger control, posture

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
so this will show how new i am to rifles but posture?
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

Stevens 320 Security 12ga

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #32

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
so this will show how new i am to rifles but posture?

How you hold it when you are standing, crouching, prone.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
jeffkaiser1989 Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #33

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter View Post
I was hoping to hear people's top 3 things that they feel are keys to consistent and accurate shooting. It may be something in the mechanics, equipment, or mental approach. I would assume there would be things mentioned that could help all experience level shooters' to gain knowledge or reaffirm knowledge. I personally look forward to apply some things into my own target practice/hunting. Thanks!
First and foremost is practice. The only thing that makes you better at any skill is practice. In this instance, lead down range equals increased accuracy.

Breathing, self control, and steady trigger pull. That said, my primary experience shooting is 3 position competitions, hunting, and plinking.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #34
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2100 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 11829

With all of the other things posted, I almost chose not to chime in. If I may add a couple things, keep in mind that I also use bows in addition to firearms.

1. During practice, or range time, if the person you are with is better with the weapon you are using (long gun, hand gun, etc.) have them watch you shoot, and watch them shoot. They will pick up on minor mistakes or issues you are having, which can lead to you finding a possible cause for that flyer every 5 shots or so. Don't take advice given as an insult. It can help you improve speed and accuracy over time.

2. cosistancy is good, but don't be afraid to try new things from time to time. My arrow groups shrank by nearly an inch at 30 yards just by adding a kisser button to my bowstring. I shot well without one for 20 years, but I still tried it out on a friend's bow when the chance came up. All it did was add an anchor point, but it helped immensely. Switching over to L\H shooting with long guns after 20+ years of shooting R\H had a major effect on my off hand group sizes. firing weak hand, and using my strong side to support the rifle took me from 2 inch groups at 100 yards down to 1.25 inch groups at the same yardage. Just because you didn't do it before doesn't mean don't try it out down the road. It just might pay off in the long run. stay consistant with the basics, but don't be afraid of trying something new every now and then.

3. Relax. Tension leads to shakiness, which creates a miss. It may be the most important shot of your life, but stressing out about it will not make the shot any easier. Add a previous miss to the mix, and most shooters will foul up at that point. i have the ability to slow down my breathing and my heartbeat at will which has helped me out on many long shots i have taken over the years. this is something my dad and my grandfather also could do. Just staying calm, and telling yourself that this shot is no more important than the last one was will help with placing an accurate shot most of the time. As to the pedigree of the 2 men who told me this, one was a sharpshooter who competed for Troop A of the NYSP, the other is a retired Marine who used to fire a 3 round burst from his M-16 at the target during qualification, then he would spend the rest of the time on target popping out the plugs in the target with the weapon on semi-auto. If either one said something to me about chooting, I listened.

With so much great information in this thread, i have added what I can. Good thread, and i will be checking in on it to see what else I can pick up from your posts. thank you all for what you have posted so far. Good job all.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
TheGunDude Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
1. During practice, or range time, if the person you are with is better with the weapon you are using (long gun, hand gun, etc.) have them watch you shoot, and watch them shoot. They will pick up on minor mistakes or issues you are having, which can lead to you finding a possible cause for that flyer every 5 shots or so. Don't take advice given as an insult. It can help you improve speed and accuracy over time.
Even a novice can help in this regard if they have been properly taught, especially if it was by another instructor. Never ignore the new shooter when they ask you why you do something a certain way. It could be the reason your target resembles a connect the dot puzzle.

You know the people that really bug me? It's the ones that have the attitude that they have been _____* all their life, and they have forgotten more than you'll ever know about it. Then you look at their results and realize part of what they forgot must have been something important.

* You can insert any skill you want to in the blank.
People Like This 
Old 03-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Synergy.

This transcends technical aspects into what I refer to as the Zen between shooter and firearm. It's more than comfort and compatibility...you won't know you've got it until you get there.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Even a novice can help in this regard if they have been properly taught, especially if it was by another instructor. Never ignore the new shooter when they ask you why you do something a certain way. It could be the reason your target resembles a connect the dot puzzle.

You know the people that really bug me? It's the ones that have the attitude that they have been _____* all their life, and they have forgotten more than you'll ever know about it. Then you look at their results and realize part of what they forgot must have been something important.

* You can insert any skill you want to in the blank.

How about "the cat's ass" ?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Synergy.

This transcends technical aspects into what I refer to as the Zen between shooter and firearm. It's more than comfort and compatibility...you won't know you've got it until you get there.
Man, isn't that the truth. Over a span of more than 40 years I've had that with two different handguns.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #39

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Breathing is one of the most forgotten part of shooting. It doesn't matter what type of shooting you do breathing matters. If you breath properly your way ahead of most of the world before you fire a shot.
Now this is the best advise I've read so far. I have always emphasized this oft-neglected aspect in shooting. I have learned this at a very early age. Integrating proper breathing into a regular and methodical dry-firing regimen does wonders for trigger control and repeatability of form. But good fundamentals and basics are still the foundation for everything to go right. This bodes true for both competition and combat shooting. Much improvement comes from muscle memory, and breathing is very much a part of it.

My absolute "musts" : breathing, regular dry-fire practice, solid fundamentals.

After these comes the mental training of any martial discipline and it is all summed up in two words: Situational awareness. But that's another thread.