??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes" - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateguy28 View Post
Consistency, practice, and patience. Getting good at anything doesn't happen overnight and can sometimes be frustrating. But, if you can be patient with yourself, the results will begin to show after time.
and people will show different rates of improvement as well.

like my father and i. my father uses a shotgun to run off stray dogs or to kill a snake every once in awhile. he keeps a shotgun for SD/HD purposes. i shot sporting clays years ago for a few years. if i had to guess, i am probably a much better shot with a shotgun than he is, simply because i have shot way many more rounds than he has. i also shoot many more pistols rounds than he does. my father is not a bad shot with a pistol, and has an old Dan Wesson with an 8.5" barrel and target sights that he shoots quite well, but i am a more consistent shooter with a much broader range of pistols at close range. the difference is that his pistol is a target pistol and he shoots much longer distances than i do. up close, is where i use pistols though. clearly a difference in pistol usage.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3472 Times on 1989 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Professional training can overcome some bad habits. But if not done correctly, can introduce some new bad habits.

I've seen a couple of guys who attended a "name" school. After graduating, they went to shoot in a competition. Both got disqualified after the first string. They "swept" their non-dominant they used to locate holster while putting the gun in.

1. Know the rules and safety procedures, and adapt. A rule book will give information on what is not allowed.
2. Know how to apply the basics of shooting to what you are doing. I can normally outshoot people using their firearms when I concentrate on the basics.
3. Practice is good if it does not introduce bad habits. Evaluate what you are doing and see if there is a better (and maybe safer) way.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #13

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Breathing is one of the most forgotten part of shooting. It doesn't matter what type of shooting you do breathing matters. If you breath properly your way ahead of most of the world before you fire a shot.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #14

Liked 187 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 191

1. focus on the front sight
2. Squeeze the trigger in a way that surprises you when the gun goes off
3. Practice, practice and more practice

Those would be my top three...if you do those, your shooting will improve

Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #15

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

1-good ammo

2-a quiet mind

3-a firm grip

Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I would say trigger control is up close to the top. I like to dry fire my guns when I first get them. It helps me to know when the trigger will break. I like to quickly bring the trigger to the point just before it fires. Then slowly squeeze the last millimeter or so. To be good with any gun you must practice with it. I can pick up any gun and defend myself with it. But to use a gun for competition I must be intimately familiar with the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I'm with Rick on this. Trigger control. Trigger control. Trigger control. Stance is a close second. And then consistency. Have to do it all the same, every time.
I would agree trigger control is top in my book.

1 - Trigger Control
2 - Consistency (doing everything the same each time)
3 - Can I say trigger control again? No? Well then I'll say "Mental Relaxation."

Regarding breathing, I agree that "proper" breathing is very important on rifle shooting. I've found that proper breathing doesn't do much for me for handgun shooting, though. Of course, I'm not really a precision shooter, but I find bad trigger control to be much more detrimental to my shooting than improper breathing, when handgunning.
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #17

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 200

1: Practice safe loading and discharging of the firearm in question
2: Get to know your trigger use dry firing if you can or invest in dummy rounds.
3: Hit the range and work at your stance follow through and proper sight picture. In short spend a few weeks getting to the range as much as possible.
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

Stevens 320 Security 12ga

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #18

Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

1: don't point the muzzle at anything you do not intend to shoot.

2: don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

3: don't load your gun until you are ready to use it.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #19

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

For practical handgun accuracy, id say my list goes

Trigger control,I learned this early as a young shooter how far this would take you,mastered it and quickly started out shooting my dad and family

Proper stance/presentation,since I've started shooting IDPA doing my nightly dry fire practice I've noticed that I had a tendency to form a weaver-esque stance with elbows bent after the draw,but when I force myself to push the gun out to an isosceles stance and lock my elbows I get a much more consistent sight picture when trying to get the gun on target quick as I can.

Patience/muscle memory,I've learned to have patience with a new gun in order to tap my own accuracy potential,until I've got enough rounds down range with a particular gun that I have the muscle memory built with it to shoot it fast. There really is no substitute for being intimately familiar with a particular gun.

Last edited by Jstrong; 11-16-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
3: don't load your gun until you are ready to use it.
Does a shotgun sitting in a home for defensive purposes count as using it?

Does a CCW gun on the hip count as being used?

"Ready to use it" sounds to me like ready to fire it.