??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes"
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Default ??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes"

I was hoping to hear people's top 3 things that they feel are keys to consistent and accurate shooting. It may be something in the mechanics, equipment, or mental approach. I would assume there would be things mentioned that could help all experience level shooters' to gain knowledge or reaffirm knowledge. I personally look forward to apply some things into my own target practice/hunting. Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter View Post
I was hoping to hear people's top 3 things that they feel are keys to consistent and accurate shooting. It may be something in the mechanics, equipment, or mental approach. I would assume there would be things mentioned that could help all experience level shooters' to gain knowledge or reaffirm knowledge. I personally look forward to apply some things into my own target practice/hunting. Thanks!
consistency would be IMO the most important thing. consistent rifle, optics, ammo and the shooter. when you can repeat everything, each and everytime, accuracy will increase.

of course, natural ability doesn't hurt. some people are just gifted when it comes to shooting. it's taken me many years to get to the same level with a rifle as my father is, but i am much better with pistols than he is. i am also better with a shotgun than my father, simply because i have done much more shooting with shotguns.

time spent sending rounds down range builds consistency. IMO, there is just no substitute for putting rounds down range. practice and more practice, and then practice some more.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #3

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Most problems regarding competition shooting is poor shooting disciplines. These are linked to bad advise to young shooters or self learned techniques. Take an NRA Handgun shooting class. That will bring out your shooting talents.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

I would say trigger control is up close to the top. I like to dry fire my guns when I first get them. It helps me to know when the trigger will break. I like to quickly bring the trigger to the point just before it fires. Then slowly squeeze the last millimeter or so.

To be good with any gun you must practice with it. I can pick up any gun and defend myself with it. But to use a gun for competition I must be intimately familiar with the trigger.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #5

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm with Rick on this. Trigger control. Trigger control. Trigger control.

Stance is a close second.

And then consistency. Have to do it all the same, every time.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I'm with Rick on this. Trigger control. Trigger control. Trigger control. Stance is a close second. And then consistency. Have to do it all the same, every time.
Agree with all of this. Esp. On the ammo.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I have to agree with Axxe55. Consistency is the most important factor, even over a high end trigger. And as he said consistency comes after familiarity with your firearms which takes lots of practice and rounds down range.

High end triggers are great but only after a shooter has reached a certain level. We've all seen a good shooter with a marginal gun easily outshoot a guy with a superior gun.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
I have to agree with Axxe55. Consistency is the most important factor, even over a high end trigger. And as he said consistency comes after familiarity with your firearms which takes lots of practice and rounds down range. High end triggers are great but only after a shooter has reached a certain level. We've all seen a good shooter with a marginal gun easily outshoot a guy with a superior gun.
Edit :

And even the worst trigger can be adjusted enough to be "good" enough. Try telling that to the fresh faced 22 y.o. ROTC(Rotsie) who knows as much as my Dog..( Naah,..even Gator is smarter then some Rotsie's)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 11-15-2013 at 05:09 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have to agree with Axxe55. Consistency is the most important factor, even over a high end trigger. And as he said consistency comes after familiarity with your firearms which takes lots of practice and rounds down range.

High end triggers are great but only after a shooter has reached a certain level. We've all seen a good shooter with a marginal gun easily outshoot a guy with a superior gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Edit :

And even the worst trigger can be adjusted enough to be "good" enough. Try telling that to the fresh faced 22 y.o. ROTC(Rotsie) who knows as much as my Dog..( Naah,..even Gator is smarter then some Rotsie's)
IMO, consistency covers all aspects of shooting. trigger pull, stance, sight picture, grip, ect.,,,,,,, when shooting pistols. i like to liken it to all the stars being in perfect alignment!

even a bad trigger can be compensated for if the shooter is consistent when he shoot it. on the subject of triggers, i much prefer a smooth trigger over one that's light. i have had a gunsmith friend of mine do trigger jobs for me on pistols before, where he merely smoothed them up but didn't make any changes in the pull weight. when done they felt like they hada lighter pull, but when measured, the pull weight had changed only very slightly.
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Consistency, practice, and patience. Getting good at anything doesn't happen overnight and can sometimes be frustrating. But, if you can be patient with yourself, the results will begin to show after time.
People Like This