Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   ??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/all-shooters-your-3-absolutes-100356/)

Okie_6Shooter 11-15-2013 03:26 AM

??? For All Shooters - "Your 3 Absolutes"

I was hoping to hear people's top 3 things that they feel are keys to consistent and accurate shooting. It may be something in the mechanics, equipment, or mental approach. I would assume there would be things mentioned that could help all experience level shooters' to gain knowledge or reaffirm knowledge. I personally look forward to apply some things into my own target practice/hunting. Thanks!

Axxe55 11-15-2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_6Shooter (Post 1431965)
I was hoping to hear people's top 3 things that they feel are keys to consistent and accurate shooting. It may be something in the mechanics, equipment, or mental approach. I would assume there would be things mentioned that could help all experience level shooters' to gain knowledge or reaffirm knowledge. I personally look forward to apply some things into my own target practice/hunting. Thanks!

consistency would be IMO the most important thing. consistent rifle, optics, ammo and the shooter. when you can repeat everything, each and everytime, accuracy will increase.

of course, natural ability doesn't hurt. some people are just gifted when it comes to shooting. it's taken me many years to get to the same level with a rifle as my father is, but i am much better with pistols than he is. i am also better with a shotgun than my father, simply because i have done much more shooting with shotguns.

time spent sending rounds down range builds consistency. IMO, there is just no substitute for putting rounds down range. practice and more practice, and then practice some more.

nitestalker 11-15-2013 03:48 AM

Most problems regarding competition shooting is poor shooting disciplines. These are linked to bad advise to young shooters or self learned techniques. Take an NRA Handgun shooting class. That will bring out your shooting talents.:)

Rick1967 11-15-2013 03:49 AM

I would say trigger control is up close to the top. I like to dry fire my guns when I first get them. It helps me to know when the trigger will break. I like to quickly bring the trigger to the point just before it fires. Then slowly squeeze the last millimeter or so.

To be good with any gun you must practice with it. I can pick up any gun and defend myself with it. But to use a gun for competition I must be intimately familiar with the trigger.

trip286 11-15-2013 03:51 AM

I'm with Rick on this. Trigger control. Trigger control. Trigger control.

Stance is a close second.

And then consistency. Have to do it all the same, every time.

DrFootball 11-15-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I'm with Rick on this. Trigger control. Trigger control. Trigger control. Stance is a close second. And then consistency. Have to do it all the same, every time.

Agree with all of this. Esp. On the ammo.

Quentin 11-15-2013 05:01 AM

I have to agree with Axxe55. Consistency is the most important factor, even over a high end trigger. And as he said consistency comes after familiarity with your firearms which takes lots of practice and rounds down range.

High end triggers are great but only after a shooter has reached a certain level. We've all seen a good shooter with a marginal gun easily outshoot a guy with a superior gun.

DrFootball 11-15-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
I have to agree with Axxe55. Consistency is the most important factor, even over a high end trigger. And as he said consistency comes after familiarity with your firearms which takes lots of practice and rounds down range. High end triggers are great but only after a shooter has reached a certain level. We've all seen a good shooter with a marginal gun easily outshoot a guy with a superior gun.

Edit :

And even the worst trigger can be adjusted enough to be "good" enough. Try telling that to the fresh faced 22 y.o. ROTC(Rotsie) who knows as much as my Dog..( Naah,..even Gator is smarter then some Rotsie's)

Axxe55 11-15-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1432063)
I have to agree with Axxe55. Consistency is the most important factor, even over a high end trigger. And as he said consistency comes after familiarity with your firearms which takes lots of practice and rounds down range.

High end triggers are great but only after a shooter has reached a certain level. We've all seen a good shooter with a marginal gun easily outshoot a guy with a superior gun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1432066)
Edit :

And even the worst trigger can be adjusted enough to be "good" enough. Try telling that to the fresh faced 22 y.o. ROTC(Rotsie) who knows as much as my Dog..( Naah,..even Gator is smarter then some Rotsie's)

IMO, consistency covers all aspects of shooting. trigger pull, stance, sight picture, grip, ect.,,,,,,, when shooting pistols. i like to liken it to all the stars being in perfect alignment!

even a bad trigger can be compensated for if the shooter is consistent when he shoot it. on the subject of triggers, i much prefer a smooth trigger over one that's light. i have had a gunsmith friend of mine do trigger jobs for me on pistols before, where he merely smoothed them up but didn't make any changes in the pull weight. when done they felt like they hada lighter pull, but when measured, the pull weight had changed only very slightly.

karateguy28 11-15-2013 05:42 AM

Consistency, practice, and patience. Getting good at anything doesn't happen overnight and can sometimes be frustrating. But, if you can be patient with yourself, the results will begin to show after time.