All guns are loaded guns! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > All guns are loaded guns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

your obvious problem is that you are not
brewing your coffee strong enough to start with.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drriley
your obvious problem is that you are not
brewing your coffee strong enough to start with.
Oh no, I love the taste of a strong cup. Have begun to buy the beans and grind them myself, french roast.
I put some honey in the first cup, the following cups are black. I made the statement to laugh at myself for overspraying the rem oil into the cup. It had a sheen to it much like oil in a puddle of water.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #13

Default I as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I agree ever since the accident when I was younger it's almost like breathing, if I grab a gun or if I'm handed one I check it three times to make sure I never take someones word on it. Although I do keep a loaded gun in the house and on my person I know for a fact that it's loaded 24/7 just for safe reasons.
I as well keep 1 fire arm loaded at all times 24/7 but everyone in the house knows it, knows where the key is and knows how to use it. I know I have always treated every gun as loaded, father was a 25 year Marine and thought us kids well on gun safety. But , it only takes 1 nano second of not thinking about a gun being loaded, and it is way to late to tell the bullet to return. It scares my to death sometimes watching people handle "unloaded guns" I believe they are called "statistics" ..Mjc...

Old 01-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OP, Thanks for sharing your experience.
Bad situations can be averted as your actions show.
Firearms are tools that have to be respected.

The Four Rules are So easy, yet can be overlooked in a moment of distraction.

Until Obama arms them, these Groundhogs don't stand a chance...

Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #15

Liked 243 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think the best idea is to have a bullet-catching barrier in your house and only dry snap at that barrier . Tape a target to it if you wish. If you really agree with rule #1, you won't dry snap at your T.V. , light switch screws or the floor ( ricochet possibility ) .
And that includes using that barrier when snapping a Glock to prepare it for disassembly .

"Throughout my life, I've continually had to lower my opinion
of the average man."

-Harry Binswanger-

Last edited by Rentacop; 04-24-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #16

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Good to hear it ended without an accident.

Treat it as your Big Break, and enjoy many years of safe shooting.
So true, glad it turned out to be just an eye opener.

A couple of years ago I was going to clean my SP-101, I hit the cylinder release and tipped it up to drop out the 5 rounds. I placed them is a plastic bin on the work bench, laid the gun down and got out the cleaning supplies. Now being ready to clean her up I looked again and saw 1 round still in the cylinder I then looked in the bin and counted 4 rounds. Although I did close the cylinder I did not pull the trigger as the hammer was not cocked, it still scared the crap out of me because I had just cleared the gun half A**ED.

Needless to say now when I clear a gun, I clear it 3 times before it is empty. And the SP-101 still likes to hang onto the round closest to the frame every now and then.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #17

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Trust but verify as I always say.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #18

Liked 243 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just in case anyone doesn't know--The best procedure for unloading a DA revolver is :
1) With finger off trigger and up on frame, release the cylinder .
2) Cradle the gun in your non-shooting hand with your middle two fingers through the frame.
3) Tip the muzzle up and work the ejector rod one smooth stroke, catching the rounds in your hand.
4) Count the rounds ( The number should normally match the number the gun can hold )
5) Make a final visual check of the cylinder .

Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #19

I do exactly that for my revolver, then place all 6 rounds back in the speed loader, and put a "wire tie" thru the cylinder so it can't be fired. I take it apart (cutting the wire tie at this time) clean the gun, then, reload. Trigger lock, and then put away. However, have it close by.. For that "Just in case". And hope to god I never have to pull the trigger!.. I've only got my gun out 2 times in 10 years for that "just in case" moment, but thank goodness, promptly put it back to sleep....

Can't remember if I fired 5 or 6, well, what'll it be punk?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good words, good sentiment. Definately words to live by, and I mean live. Unfortunately, with the Darwin Award candidates amongst us in what seems like increasing numbers, we're ultimately condemned to hear of the occassional incident.

I tend to reflect on the story told me by a fellow dealer last year. A guy walked into his shop looking to trade in a .22 pocket semi for something else more substantial. My friend asked the guy if the gun was unloaded which he responded absolutely to the affirmative, damn near swore to it. Being prudent as my friend is, he went to clear the .22 anyway, but with his big meat hooks, his hand slipped and the unloaded gun went off. The bullet travelled through the wall behind his counter, outside, and ended up in his carport just a couple inches from the fender of his Jeep. Thank God nobody was in the parking lot which was between the building and the carport. Pissed doesn't really describe him at this point. Greatful that no blood was shed, absolutely. About to kick somebody's ass, without a doubt. The bullet hole still remains as a reminder of sorts.