All guns are loaded guns!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > All guns are loaded guns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Default All guns are loaded guns!

After a day of shooting yesterday, I'm cleaning my guns. I get the 590a1 out of the sleeve. Out of habit I work the action and out pops a shell, 4 in total. I say to myself, I did'nt put that thing up loaded. Wait I did'nt put it away at all. I went to grill lunch and some of the fellows sleeved it and walked it back. That's not the point. My gun, my responsability. I should have checked it myself before we loaded in the truck.

On a side note. Rem oil over spray does not improve the taste of coffee.

forumrunner_20120108_165829.jpg

NEVER FORGET

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Not sure which one of us did that, but you have my sincerest apologies, and I promise it WILL NOT happen again. I'm not sure if I sleeved any of them, but I know I handled all of them while they were being packed up.

There is no excuse, one of us should have caught that, especially since we actually did check several of them. Even the Marlin 60 got checked and it wasn't even fired!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2544 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Downsouth,

Despite the fact of a freak oversight and the circumstances surrounding it. The point is made by you very well! That is, each time we handle weapons we should complete the exact safety drill you performed in this thread. All Firearms are loaded until varified otherwise! I will admit in all the years that I have been around weapons I am not naive enough to not think that inadvertent things do happen from time to time with firearms. We are only human unfortunately and things can slip by us due to circumstances as you described in this incident. But if we perform the safety procedures without fail we remain safe and we catch those things that otherwise could be an utter disaster. Great Job for following good gun safety and handling techniques.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I agree ever since the accident when I was younger it's almost like breathing, if I grab a gun or if I'm handed one I check it three times to make sure I never take someones word on it. Although I do keep a loaded gun in the house and on my person I know for a fact that it's loaded 24/7 just for safe reasons.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Trip, this was'nt about you or anybody needing to appologize. I almost did'nt post it because of that. I posted it because no matter how many times we handle a firearm safe and proper it only takes once.

Things happen and thats why we all need to handle firearms with extreme cauton. With freedoms come responsibilities. My gun my responsibility.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 AM   #6

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm glad you posted as we all need a refresher constantly!

About 30 years ago one of my friends handed me a 410 ga single shot shotgun he had "just cleaned" as he was having problems getting the stock back on.

I laid the barrel trigger up and was sliding the stock on when the gun fired and took out a window about 2' from my wife!

I did not check as I "assumed" it was empty if it had been taken down and cleaned. I don't think I have ever made that mistake again. Check, check, check!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Good reminder for everyone south. And for the coffee, just try a little more cream or sugar!!

Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good to hear it ended without an accident.

Treat it as your Big Break, and enjoy many years of safe shooting.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

I can tell you out of experience I will say that to everyone I know, have been for 30+ years now...I was SHOT in the gut when I was 17 years old by a friend of mine working with me at a convenience store in Cleveland Ohio. She picked up the gun from behind the counter (for protection) had no clue it was loaded (as they all are) pointed at me while I was leaning on a deli counter eating Capt Crunch (I couldn't say something quicker because I had the cereal in my mouth) but tried to yell, to late, happened that fast. She pulled the trigger on the infamous "Unloaded gun" and BANG ! Got me in the side gut, the bullet had hit my bottom rib and parts of the bullet ricocheted of the rib so the major part of the bullet is in me and some fragments came out from the ricochet. I grabbed my side (had no clue I was hit) and yelled "YOU GOT ME" , I was trying to scare her by teaching her a lesson about gun safety, lifted my hand up to say "I'm only joking" because she was freaking out, and to my utter surprise... Blood dripping off my hand, well THEN I clearly knew something hit me, then it started to hurt, bad. And the story goes.. "ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED, PERIOD" I'm sure everyone in this forum at one time has had that "I can't believe the thing was loaded" (even if was to yourself) like you started the thread off with. You just never know who may have touched it last, even if you were the one that put it away and locked it up. Someone else MAY have took the gun out for a number of reasons and put it back loaded.. Finding out a gun "WAS" loaded after it discharges can be costly in many different ways., thanks.. Mjclemm...

Can't remember if I fired 5 or 6, well, what'll it be punk?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8596

Holy crap, MJClemm. I hope you are enjoying your second chance on life.