Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   All guns are loaded guns! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/all-guns-loaded-guns-55052/)

downsouth 01-08-2012 09:58 PM

All guns are loaded guns!

1 Attachment(s)
After a day of shooting yesterday, I'm cleaning my guns. I get the 590a1 out of the sleeve. Out of habit I work the action and out pops a shell, 4 in total. I say to myself, I did'nt put that thing up loaded. Wait I did'nt put it away at all. I went to grill lunch and some of the fellows sleeved it and walked it back. That's not the point. My gun, my responsability. I should have checked it myself before we loaded in the truck.

On a side note. Rem oil over spray does not improve the taste of coffee.

Attachment 37180

trip286 01-08-2012 10:06 PM

Not sure which one of us did that, but you have my sincerest apologies, and I promise it WILL NOT happen again. I'm not sure if I sleeved any of them, but I know I handled all of them while they were being packed up.

There is no excuse, one of us should have caught that, especially since we actually did check several of them. Even the Marlin 60 got checked and it wasn't even fired!

Sniper03 01-08-2012 10:11 PM

Downsouth,

Despite the fact of a freak oversight and the circumstances surrounding it. The point is made by you very well! That is, each time we handle weapons we should complete the exact safety drill you performed in this thread. All Firearms are loaded until varified otherwise! I will admit in all the years that I have been around weapons I am not naive enough to not think that inadvertent things do happen from time to time with firearms. We are only human unfortunately and things can slip by us due to circumstances as you described in this incident. But if we perform the safety procedures without fail we remain safe and we catch those things that otherwise could be an utter disaster. Great Job for following good gun safety and handling techniques.:)

unclebear 01-08-2012 11:12 PM

I agree ever since the accident when I was younger it's almost like breathing, if I grab a gun or if I'm handed one I check it three times to make sure I never take someones word on it. Although I do keep a loaded gun in the house and on my person I know for a fact that it's loaded 24/7 just for safe reasons.

downsouth 01-08-2012 11:19 PM

Trip, this was'nt about you or anybody needing to appologize. I almost did'nt post it because of that. I posted it because no matter how many times we handle a firearm safe and proper it only takes once.

Things happen and thats why we all need to handle firearms with extreme cauton. With freedoms come responsibilities. My gun my responsibility.

gwk4667 01-09-2012 12:38 AM

I'm glad you posted as we all need a refresher constantly!

About 30 years ago one of my friends handed me a 410 ga single shot shotgun he had "just cleaned" as he was having problems getting the stock back on.

I laid the barrel trigger up and was sliding the stock on when the gun fired and took out a window about 2' from my wife!

I did not check as I "assumed" it was empty if it had been taken down and cleaned. I don't think I have ever made that mistake again. Check, check, check!

firedawg60 01-09-2012 12:41 AM

Good reminder for everyone south. And for the coffee, just try a little more cream or sugar!!

Jeepergeo 01-09-2012 12:46 AM

Good to hear it ended without an accident.

Treat it as your Big Break, and enjoy many years of safe shooting.

Mjclemm 01-09-2012 09:34 AM

I can tell you out of experience I will say that to everyone I know, have been for 30+ years now...I was SHOT in the gut when I was 17 years old by a friend of mine working with me at a convenience store in Cleveland Ohio. She picked up the gun from behind the counter (for protection) had no clue it was loaded (as they all are) pointed at me while I was leaning on a deli counter eating Capt Crunch (I couldn't say something quicker because I had the cereal in my mouth) but tried to yell, to late, happened that fast. She pulled the trigger on the infamous "Unloaded gun" and BANG ! Got me in the side gut, the bullet had hit my bottom rib and parts of the bullet ricocheted of the rib so the major part of the bullet is in me and some fragments came out from the ricochet. I grabbed my side (had no clue I was hit) and yelled "YOU GOT ME" , I was trying to scare her by teaching her a lesson about gun safety, lifted my hand up to say "I'm only joking" because she was freaking out, and to my utter surprise... Blood dripping off my hand, well THEN I clearly knew something hit me, then it started to hurt, bad. And the story goes.. "ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED, PERIOD" I'm sure everyone in this forum at one time has had that "I can't believe the thing was loaded" (even if was to yourself) like you started the thread off with. You just never know who may have touched it last, even if you were the one that put it away and locked it up. Someone else MAY have took the gun out for a number of reasons and put it back loaded.. Finding out a gun "WAS" loaded after it discharges can be costly in many different ways., thanks.. Mjclemm...

Can't remember if I fired 5 or 6, well, what'll it be punk?

winds-of-change 01-09-2012 10:22 AM

Holy crap, MJClemm. I hope you are enjoying your second chance on life.