Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Airsoft as a training aid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Airsoft as a training aid

I know that some of you read the title and got ready to blast me, but hear me out.

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the cheap plastic airsoft guns you buy at walmart, I'm talking about something like this:
KWA Full Metal M1911 Mark II PTP Airsoft Gun ( Desert ) by: KWA -
These kinds of guns have realistic weight, action, and functionality, some of them even have a pretty good hop when you shoot them.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, my co worker said the same thing to me the other day, "Real men train with real guns." While I agree with this, and do train often with real steal, I do have a point to bring up.

I love training with real steal, but I can only train with a real gun for so long(about 5 seconds) against a target that can move, think, react, and shoot back(a live person....but not for long), before one of us dose not want to play any more

I think you guys see my point. Training with a paper target is great, but it is very different from shooting at a human being.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #2

Dynamic Sim Training with airsoft is where you'll find out just where you're at with your gunfighting skills. It will help you establish a baseline, or reference point for further development and exploration of your individual abilities. Under expert guidance and instruction, combined with your own individual regimen, your skills will develop in leaps and bounds.

All that nonsense about lack of recoil is a load of crap. Your brain and body will make the necessary adjustments when needed without any conscious effort when it goes "live".

A lot of people look down on airsoft as a training aid because of it's lack of ballistic effect, recoil, and grown men dressing up in full kit and playing soldier.
Other's don't like it because it creates a 360 degree environment against living thinking adversaries and sometimes exposes flaws in there fighting techniques developed on the square range.

As long as the training is structured with definite goal in mind, it is a great tool for practicing drawing and firing in dynamic environments.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfctx View Post
Dynamic Sim Training with airsoft is where you'll find out just where you're at with your gunfighting skills. It will help you establish a baseline, or reference point for further development and exploration of your individual abilities. Under expert guidance and instruction, combined with your own individual regimen, your skills will develop in leaps and bounds.

All that nonsense about lack of recoil is a load of crap. Your brain and body will make the necessary adjustments when needed without any conscious effort when it goes "live".

A lot of people look down on airsoft as a training aid because of it's lack of ballistic effect, recoil, and grown men dressing up in full kit and playing soldier.
Other's don't like it because it creates a 360 degree environment against living thinking adversaries and sometimes exposes flaws in there fighting techniques developed on the square range.

As long as the training is structured with definite goal in mind, it is a great tool for practicing drawing and firing in dynamic environments.
I have to agree. +1
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

It's not MILES gear or Simunitions, but it is a cost effective alternative for civilians and those in the private training sector.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfctx View Post
It's not MILES gear or Simunitions, but it is a cost effective alternative for civilians and those in the private training sector.
We used simunitions, but that's overkill for civilian. If paintball guns were more realistic they would be great.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Many departments (especially small ones) are now using Airsoft for force on force training. It is far more cost effective than Simunitions.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #7

I've had a training class or two in which we used airsoft. One class focused on reaction time vs knife attacks and the other was class on handgun disarms. During the disarm class there was a big difference from learning the techniques using the plastic guns and then switching to Airsoft. You learned real quick wether or not you were clear of the muzzle.

Airsoft can deffinitaely be effective in certain training applications, especially when cost is a concern.