Airsoft Training - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Airsoft Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 03:43 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The problem is Airsoft will give the person false confidence in their abilities. I've seen tons of air-softers out there that really do believe they are the sh*t when it comes to tactical stuff.

Here's a little drill for the folks out here. Next time you are at the range take off your ear protection. Then fire off at least three rounds in fast succession. unless you are already somewhat deaf, the ear-splitting blast of your weapon going off will disorient you and leave you with a nice ringing in your ears.

Now imagine doing this in a confined area (i.e. your house), then add the muzzle flash, the muzzle blast, the smell, etc....

Now I ask: How can airsoft help you train for something like this without giving you the false sense of being fully capable in a combat/defense situation?

Answer: It can't. Defending your life is not a game played with toys. Training to defend your life shouldn't be treated like a game with toys either.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Always thought airsoft would be interesting. However, airsoft is illegal in australia...like so many other things That is why the firearms component of my self-defence classes is undertaken in Thailand, where there are pretty much NO rules...both airsoft & live weapons, no permits required..

Anything that fires a projectile is considered a firearm in this country. The rationale for banning airsoft is that they could be used for hold-ups, as the innocent party being robbed/threatened will not know it is not a 'real' firearm.

That, and they are capable of looking "black & scary" which is against the law for any firearm

In fact, to own a paintball marker you must have a regular firearms licence (which means you must belong to a club, compete in at least 4 competitive shoots a year to maintain legal membership)

And the only place you can shoot a paintball marker is at an approved commerical field...and I can't see many people going to that sort of trouble!

But yeah...I'd still like to try airsoft all the same. The closest I'd ever come to an AK, so it's a pity in that respect

Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Next time you are at the range take off your ear protection. Then fire off at least three rounds in fast succession.
SGT-MILLER, I understand your point, but that is bad advice.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Why is that bad advice?

How can you expect to truly know your firearm unless you know how loud it's going to be?

I'm not saying you should make it a habit, because you shouldn't (I like my hearing too), but it helps to know first hand how firing a weapon in defense is going to affect your hearing (which can possibly have negative consequences on your effectiveness).

If you are training to use a firearm in self defense, you need to study every aspect of that firearm. That includes sound. You need to mentally prepare yourself for the fact that if you fire that weapon in a defense situation, you will immediately cause ringing in your ears, which causes temporary hearing loss, which in some people can affect their balance, situational awareness, etc...

Old 06-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #25
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SGT made a valid point, You need to expereince the event at least once to understand how it will be if you are in that situation. Hearing loss is normally due tro prolonged exposure to loud noises. A three - four round burst from your potection firearm with out hearing protection will not effect your hearing long term but it will have a short term effect and something you should expereince to understand it in your time of need.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
A three - four round burst from your potection firearm with out hearing protection will not effect your hearing long term but it will have a short term effect and something you should expereince to understand it in your time of need.
Not sure where you get your information but that right there is a big pile of bull cheet if I have ever heard it.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #27

[[sigh]] airsoft? really? you guys gunna go to pizza hut afterwards?

a teacher at my school spent 400 bucks on an airsoft gun that he refers to as his "SAW" after i asked what kind of model it was um ..copied after he said "i told you its a SAW"

personally i cant stand people from the airsoft crowd they seem to think they know alot about guns because they spray eachother w/ plastic bbs while they wear gillie suits. i think the only use airsoft might have would be with close combat handgun training and even then simunition would be better cause that leaves a welt to remember and the more somthing hurts the more realistic its gunna be.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #28

WOW! That is some of the most back and forth discussion over something that definately has some middle ground and can go either way.

Do I like airsoft? No, not really. Especially when it comes to the function of the firearm. Does it have it's place in training? Absolutely it does.

Here are my thoughts:

If you are training on firearm manipulation and the basic fundamentals, I would definately not recommend airsoft. Now, if you are working on tactics and movements, that can be done on the range with little to no compromise of safety using a real firearm.

Where I believe in the use of airsoft and SIMS are in force on force (SIMS over airsoft). There is no substitute for this or the stress inoculation of the hunter possibly being the hunted. It provides instant feedback of mistakes in a tactical environment when an operator or student gets hit due to not effectively using cover.

This is just from personal experience and thought I would throw it out there. As I am sure most of you on here are, I am open minded and always looking for a better way.

jpaletta@stonecobratactical.com

"Train like your life depends on it"

Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #29

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I do not do much airsoft. I have done it a couple of times with my brother and my son. I am an avid paintballer. I go with a bunch of cops and x military. However it is still just a game. It does teach you that you dont want to get shot. We have learned how to communicate as a team.

Perhaps it would be good to think about the diference between 38 special and 357 magnum. People used to train with 38 special and carry 357 mag. Police departments were finding that officers were not ready for the difference in recoil and often did not hit their target. If that is a fact then I believe that airsoft training is fun as a game. But like paintball it is not a real aid in learning to shoot. Airsoft and paintball are ok for learning tactics. But I wouldn't say much beyond that. In the real world I wouldn't try to use a couple of bushes for cover!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #30

It looks like we are both on the same page. When I talk about tactics, I talk about the use of cover as well as over penetrating a room and exposing your self to unidentified threats. You will only do this a few times after getting lit up by SIMS.

jpaletta@stonecobratactical.com

"Train like your life depends on it"