Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Airsoft Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #11
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've shot some high end air soft and will say there is no honest training value offered. No/little recoil and little noise. My rub with these toys is many look like real firearms so now LOE's have to wonder if it's real or airsoft? I expect it has already happened where a LEO shot someone using these toys while conducting a criminal act. Toy firearms should be just that and look like toys. There is no value to these toys with the exception they look like real firearms and give the person who can't own a real firearm a toy that looks real. If you want the expereince with out the cost of shooting a real firearm try paint ball....then again those guns don't look like real firearms. There is no one that can say with a straight face an air soft AR or AK gives the feel of the real thing. It's a BB gun shooting plasic bb's dressed up to look like a real firearm.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Train as you fight.

Think of it this way. When a person wants to run a 5K, does he train by running or walking?

If you want to become more proficient with real firearms, you MUST practice with a real firearm. Practicing with an Airsoft will only give you false confidence in your skills.

These days some firearms are cheaper than higher end Airsoft BB guns anyway.

If you can, train with a real firearm. Along with that, get professional instruction if possible.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Train as you fight.

Think of it this way. When a person wants to run a 5K, does he train by running or walking?

If you want to become more proficient with real firearms, you MUST practice with a real firearm. Practicing with an Airsoft will only give you false confidence in your skills.

If you can, train with a real firearm. Along with that, get professional instruction if possible.
You guys use MILES much?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah. We are finally using the new stuff that is alot tougher, and less prone to f**ing up in the field.

I remember some of the older gear, you could get to "fire" off by just hitting the butt of your rifle with enough force (instant silent kills...lol).

Old 05-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Yeah. We are finally using the new stuff that is alot tougher, and less prone to f**ing up in the field.

I remember some of the older gear, you could get to "fire" off by just hitting the butt of your rifle with enough force (instant silent kills...lol).
I did Eagle Flag up at Ft Dix and one of the guys from my squadron brought his Nintendo DS with him and the wireless signal kept getting him killed. Funny stuff.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

We used to crank the sensitivity of the fire sensor way down, then just bump it with our fingers.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Train as you fight.

Got a "go" here, ain't nothing like the real thing and trigger pull is much different with Airsoft. Hell, you just as well put a laser site on your gun and site target with it. Poor man's Miles.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Here's a good training setup:

One of my on-duty tools.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #19

Default RE:Airsoft Training

If you want the ultimate realistic experiece get a full sized 1:1 scale metal gas blowback shell ejection rifle/pistol.You can even get airsoft shotguns(spreadshot) and rocket/missile launchers.

Me and my close freinds always spend then weekend simulating warfare with airsoft weapons.CTF,Patrol,offence,defence,ambushes,wilder ness survival,escape etc.Learn good skills and install good mindsets.But if you mix it will actuall firearms training just as intense against fake targets you get the best of both world.But you must always have a marshal in airsoft because people always cheat.My old trick was no armour,so people actually felt it and it hurts with 450fps or more.Plus airsoft splatter grenades are fun too.So instead of surrendering and going to safe spot you lie there calling for a medic who can also be hit.Always simulate medical care(real) as well could come in handy.Adding karts,hovercrafts,motorbikes,vehicles and even helicopters/plance/aircraft would make it more realistic and fun,but expensive.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

well, maybe for squad and tactical maneuvers airsoft can be beneficial. If you use the 30 round mags instead of the 600 round mags that would be even more helpful. Don't drop hundreds on a gun, anyone will do. Sure, a gun with blanks and a judge like a reenactment would be even more helpful, but also more expensive and harder to do in say, a more suburban area.

For actual shooting and tactical shooting drills, real firearms are good. Airsoft will only help with some tactics