Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Airsoft Training (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/airsoft-training-1211/)

SheridanB 07-12-2007 04:04 PM

Airsoft Training

Can you train with airsoft pistols and if so which is the best one to get?

BLS33 07-15-2007 08:39 PM

I wouldn't train with airsoft guns. It creates an unrealistic enviroment because the gun acts so much differently then an actual firearm. You have zero recoil as well as low noise and much different velocity which affects aiming.

SabreArms 07-31-2007 01:28 AM

I disagree BLS33. While waiting for my FFL I stumbled into the airsoft world thinking what the hell. I like many other firearms owners scoffed at the idea and absurdity of airsoft. But when I got my hands on a real one (not the cheap pieces of crap they sell in the minimarts, but a $200+ one) I was extremely impressed and let me tell you why:D

Example:
M4 (M16/AR15 etc..) Pick a model. Same weight, same size, same sights, same functions (for the most part). You do not charge it nor is the bolt release functional but other than that it is very similar. You have safe, single and full auto. As far as training goes it teaches you fire control and weapon location. Basically you are firing a live weapon minus the loud noise and recoil. You still have to switch mags when empty (if you use the thirty rounders) and still have to point the weapon in a safe direction. Standard velocity is around 330fps with .2g BB's and they have no problem shredding cans.

I use it to teach my daughter gun safety as well as firing techniques in my garage any time I want.

Did I mention the ammo is about $15 for 5000 rds?

Range is not that great (150ft) but it is not an issue for close quarters. I am more than happy to invite anyone interested to come on out and play a game. Find a local team and go watch them train or join in. Its the ultimate cowboys and indians.

Hope that brings a little light on the subject.

GhostWolf7017 03-03-2008 12:28 AM

They do make airsoft pistols with blow back, so the gun will give a recoil. These actually feel and weigh like the real thing. Of course the recoil is nothing close to what a ral handgun is, but the slide is forced back (hence blowback) to give a simulated recoil.

matt g 03-03-2008 12:40 AM

Simunitions is a much better training aide.

http://www.simunition.com/index_en.php

jeepcreep927 03-03-2008 01:41 AM

I see no difference in simmunitions and airsoft except cost. Provided the airsoft model is a quality one, I prefer them to simmunitions. More models available, much cheaper, and still offers the instant notification that you've been hit.

matt g 03-03-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 (Post 18015)
I see no difference in simmunitions and airsoft except cost. Provided the airsoft model is a quality one, I prefer them to simmunitions. More models available, much cheaper, and still offers the instant notification that you've been hit.

With Simunitions, you're using an actual firearm that functions as it should, which is a much better training aide than a toy that fires plastic BBs.

jeepcreep927 03-06-2008 06:43 AM

I know how they function, I have used both before. I am simply stating that airsoft models are available in model specific guns, as I am sure you know. If you're buying one for yourself, for whatever reason, as a training aid, I would absolutely buy the airsoft. Projectiles are cheaper and so is the gun (I don't mean the wal mart plastic ones however). I have used Sig 226's converted to fire simms and they were crap requiring manual cycling of the slide a majority of the time. The simmunition specific blue frame Glock firearms worked fine but they should for the money they cost. If an agency is footing the bill and you can get a model the same as your duty weapon, go for it. But for acceptable training aids, on your dime, airsoft works well. That's all I was getting at.

JuSteven 05-19-2009 01:59 AM

Hello!

Hey everyone, is there a specific section I can post about my site on here? I'd just like some opinions if the community has some time. Just wanted to ask before posting it. Thanks!

WDB 05-19-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuSteven (Post 107087)
Hey everyone, is there a specific section I can post about my site on here? I'd just like some opinions if the community has some time. Just wanted to ask before posting it. Thanks!

Start with the introduction/new members thread