Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > AirSoft due to high cost of ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika

Ya I'm talking about cheaper ones lol.

That begs the question though... Even if you are good with recoil and such or just want aiming practice, is it really more economical to spend that much money on an airsoft gun?

At $460 you could buy or save a little for a regular gun.

I see where you're coming from, but me and a friend both bought at the same time, during the winter. I would of loved to of dropped the money on a Rem 700 or even a Savage, but it was basically an impulse buy. I also figured that we'd be going airsofting a lot more then we have.

As far as being cheaper, it defiantly is. The one I have (Project Beta AK-47) runs off of a stick type battery and is shooting around 420ish FPS. The BBs are fairly cheap too, I think I paid around $20.xx-$30.xx for 5,000 of them suckers. I haven't even gone through a quarter of them yet.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
I've been part of training exercises with the high end air soft guns before. They had all the bells and whistles. They were alright. Definitely pretty accurate at close range. The recoil wasn't as sharp, and there was obviously no boom. It was a poor comparison to the real thing, but better than nothing I guess. We use simunitions now. Its a plastic paintball with primer and powder behind it. We fire them from specially set up Glock 19s and it actually comes very close to the real thing. Its a small powder charge so the recoil isn't quite as strong as with duty ammo, but its definitely there. Hurts way worse than an airsoft bb though when you get hit.

Here's a pic.

In my opinion practicing with airsoft guns, even nice ones might help a little with basic marksmanship techniques, but not much else. Recoil management and shot anticipation is where a lot of people struggle. And that takes putting lots of real rounds down range and getting used to the way your gun sounds and feels when it's fired by you. Even when practicing basic marksmanship principles there's a lot of adjusting grip, stance, trigger pull and other small things that go on with live rounds that would feel totally different from practicing with a soft air gun in your living room with a bb trap.

They're fun toys and fun to shoot, but they don't do justice to live rounds. Unless like kaido said you're shooting .22LR.

I still might buy a cheap one to play with when I'm bored and can't go to the range though.

Brain fart, should of done a multi-quote.

How'd you find a place for the sim-unition? I've looked around my area and haven't found anything except for places that give you a certificate to basically say you know what you're doing with the stuff. I haven't found anywhere that offers actual classes and scenarios with it.

It might be because I'm in Canada and we don't technically allow people to carry a firearm for the purpose of self defence, so they feel the classes wouldn't be worth it.....but I'm hoping that isn't that case at all.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido

Brain fart, should of done a multi-quote.

How'd you find a place for the sim-unition? I've looked around my area and haven't found anything except for places that give you a certificate to basically say you know what you're doing with the stuff. I haven't found anywhere that offers actual classes and scenarios with it.

It might be because I'm in Canada and we don't technically allow people to carry a firearm for the purpose of self defence, so they feel the classes wouldn't be worth it.....but I'm hoping that isn't that case at all.
I used them in one of the police academies I attended and at in-service trainings at work. If you're interested, check in to local law-enforcement and see if they'll let you volunteer as a reserve if there's such a thing in Canada. (Only certain law enforcement agencies in the US have real reserve programs.) Some reserves do simunitions in their academies and sometimes they have simunitions in-service training too.

I don't know if you can just *buy* simunitions without attending a class. But if you go through the class you can get certified as an instructor and buy the gear.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Plus you DO need a specific firearm in order to use the simunition, am I correct?

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe
Plus you DO need a specific firearm in order to use the simunition, am I correct?
I dont think so, just a barrel adaptor. We had designated Glock 19s (and .38 revolvers for the few that still carry those) that were spray painted blue, but it was our understanding that it was just a safety precaution to keep us from mixing a live round in on accident in one of our duty weapons or magazines.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #16
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When it comes to training/practicing with an airsoft gun or a 22lr it has it's places but it is very limited in my opinion. You can use it for presentation and getting your first shot off, transitions, drive the gun out from a ready/safe position and firing a shot, shooting from retention and working on close quarter ttp's, and very little more. While they may have blow back they are not the same when dumping multiple rounds with an an edc.

As also mentioned they can be used in FOF. I've used both air soft and simuntions in FOF classes and I prefer simunitions. While they don't always leave a mark, quite often they do and you can see where you shot someone else versus an air soft pellet that bounce off and you sometims see. In addition, I've found sim guns to be a little more painful when hit. While being an opfor it's not great but when thrown into a scenario if I make a bad decision I should pay for my mistake.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #17

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Airsoft does have a very limited training area I agree depending on the gun there good for practicing drills and manipulating the features and sight pictures of the gun. But as far as trigger pull, accuracy there usually a world apart from the real thing.

I use to play airsoft a lot as had me a AK AEG with an under fold stock, and it got me use to running an ak but once I started firing an actual ak with the recoil and added weight of a full 30 round mag I had to modify my technique a bit but airsoft guns can get use to a gun but still can never replace live fire drills with the real steel.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #18

I was going to make a whole new thread, but then I remembered about this one, so thought I'd come post here. Just picked up a "P226" for airsofting, so far I'm loving it. It came with one 25rd double stack magazine that holds a .12gram Co2 canister. I was able to get a magazine and a half out of a single canister, which is pretty good for one of these.

I've gotta fix the "hop-up" to get it hitting where I'm aiming since it's hitting about a half inch or so low. It still shoots pretty good though, the one group was from about 7', it's about as far as I could get in my house with out shooting through one room and into the other. The blow back on it is probably between a .22LR and a 9mm pending on how new the Co2 canister is.

image-3286570718.jpg   image-1328281009.jpg   image-1214305775.jpg   image-1430594992.jpg   image-1548515924.jpg  

image-650934136.jpg   image-3198216990.jpg   image-808476779.jpg   image-544572823.jpg   image-3677786013.jpg  

Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Believe it or not, airsoft guns are actually fairly accurate. They obviously aren't the greatest, but they can shoot a decent group. With mine I can get an inch or so at 25 yards. When you think that most "engagements" are only about the 50-75 yards, that isn't to bad. They also sting like hell when you get hit with, so it actually give you reason to not want to take a shot. Haha

As far as recoil, I can really defend that one. I also haven't shot any gas blowback (GBB) version though, so can't speak on their behalf.
I could consistently hit a milk jug at 50 yards with my Thompson I had a few years ago.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I could consistently hit a milk jug at 50 yards with my Thompson I had a few years ago.
With the AK I've got, I'm able to do the same thing. I think my greatest shot while in a game was hitting the shire of a guys boot while he was hiding behind a pallet with an industrial barrel (think it's a 50gallon drum) in front of it. I've also only played in doors so the longest shot I could take is maybe 100 yards or so.