Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > AirSoft due to high cost of ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AirSoft due to high cost of ammo

I have heard on some shooting shows about training with a realistic AirSoft gun that is close to the one that you generally carry. Realistic in weight and with blow-back action for a real recoil. I carry an SR9c and really like it. I can reload 9mm rounds, but individual parts costs are up if you can get them. What do you think about this training. I haven't found one that is the replica of my Ruger, so I'm still looking.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've been debating picking up a px4 airsoft gun Walmart has for $17, just to find a good cc spot for me until I buy the gun.

Honestly though, for shooting, they don't have anywhere near the recoil of even a 9mm. If you shot 22, maybe, but the low recoil would not do well for practice. Also, the round pellets work a lot like a musket ball, point at the barn and hope you hit.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #3

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika
I've been debating picking up a px4 airsoft gun Walmart has for $17, just to find a good cc spot for me until I buy the gun.

Honestly though, for shooting, they don't have anywhere near the recoil of even a 9mm. If you shot 22, maybe, but the low recoil would not do well for practice. Also, the round pellets work a lot like a musket ball, point at the barn and hope you hit.
Believe it or not, airsoft guns are actually fairly accurate. They obviously aren't the greatest, but they can shoot a decent group. With mine I can get an inch or so at 25 yards. When you think that most "engagements" are only about the 50-75 yards, that isn't to bad. They also sting like hell when you get hit with, so it actually give you reason to not want to take a shot. Haha

As far as recoil, I can really defend that one. I also haven't shot any gas blowback (GBB) version though, so can't speak on their behalf.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Believe it or not, airsoft guns are actually fairly accurate. They obviously aren't the greatest, but they can shoot a decent group. With mine I can get an inch or so at 25 yards. When you think that most "engagements" are only about the 50-75 yards, that isn't to bad. They also sting like hell when you get hit with, so it actually give you reason to not want to take a shot. Haha

As far as recoil, I can really defend that one. I also haven't shot any gas blowback (GBB) version though, so can't speak on their behalf.
Huh when I was messing with them like 5-6 years ago you got lucky if you hit your target past 15 feet or so.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have to practice indoor with my Airsoft and BB/pellet guns.I bought a bb/pellet trap for indoor use.Airsofts and bb/pellet guns are illegal to shoot in city limits (blah!)

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesaika

Huh when I was messing with them like 5-6 years ago you got lucky if you hit your target past 15 feet or so.
We might not be talking about the same thing then. I'm referring to the higher end ones used for simulations and such. Mine cost 460.xxish a couple moths ago. I used it in an actual game maybe a week ago for the first time. I've been hit with a BB from a 25 yards and winced. Both me an a friend I went with both walked out of there with a good sized welt/cut on out heads that game....was a good time. Haha

Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2191 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I've been part of training exercises with the high end air soft guns before. They had all the bells and whistles. They were alright. Definitely pretty accurate at close range. The recoil wasn't as sharp, and there was obviously no boom. It was a poor comparison to the real thing, but better than nothing I guess. We use simunitions now. Its a plastic paintball with primer and powder behind it. We fire them from specially set up Glock 19s and it actually comes very close to the real thing. Its a small powder charge so the recoil isn't quite as strong as with duty ammo, but its definitely there. Hurts way worse than an airsoft bb though when you get hit.

Here's a pic.

image-2310189186.jpg

In my opinion practicing with airsoft guns, even nice ones might help a little with basic marksmanship techniques, but not much else. Recoil management and shot anticipation is where a lot of people struggle. And that takes putting lots of real rounds down range and getting used to the way your gun sounds and feels when it's fired by you. Even when practicing basic marksmanship principles there's a lot of adjusting grip, stance, trigger pull and other small things that go on with live rounds that would feel totally different from practicing with a soft air gun in your living room with a bb trap.

They're fun toys and fun to shoot, but they don't do justice to live rounds. Unless like kaido said you're shooting .22LR.

I still might buy a cheap one to play with when I'm bored and can't go to the range though.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-28-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
We might not be talking about the same thing then. I'm referring to the higher end ones used for simulations and such. Mine cost 460.xxish a couple moths ago. I used it in an actual game maybe a week ago for the first time. I've been hit with a BB from a 25 yards and winced. Both me an a friend I went with both walked out of there with a good sized welt/cut on out heads that game....was a good time. Haha
Ya I'm talking about cheaper ones lol.

That begs the question though... Even if you are good with recoil and such or just want aiming practice, is it really more economical to spend that much money on an airsoft gun?

At $460 you could buy or save a little for a regular gun.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #9

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Paintball guns can have a bit of recoil but nothing much. They are also pretty loud. Paintball is also a good way to practice your tactics. After getting hit a lot, it's easy to find out what's good and bad to do. Most paintballers nowadays (at the PB field I go to) are using guns that shoot up to 20-30 balls per second.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Get a .22. Not as much recoil as a 9mm, but its there if you need it.

You can get decent deals on .22 if you're diligent. Just bought a bulk box of thunderbolt for $.04 a round and 5 boxes of CCW mini mags for $.10 a round.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56