Aiming and double vision
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Aiming and double vision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Aiming and double vision

Hi Guys,

just a question.

Whenever I try to have both eyes open when I aim, I have double vision. I know my right eye is the dominant one, so I choose the right target.
But this needs a very large amount of concentration and could cause to loose the ceoncentration on the shooting part.

Is there a way to loose the double vision or how do you guys aim?
Both eyes open or one eye shut or something stuck on the glasses to partially cover your nondominant pupil to be able to keep both eyes open?

Ken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ken,

You may want to visit an optomologist. You really shouldn't be seeing double no matter what. Some people shoot with one eye closed, some don't. I shoot with both open. I tend to shoot predominantly left handed & left eye, however I have trained myself to shoot right handed & right eye if needed.

You may also consider using a holoscope. They are very user friendly allowing you to focus on your target with both eyes then put the laser holo in your field of view.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

The thing is, when I aim through the sights, my eyes have two different pictures, since the gun is not centered infrom of my face. So I have one eye looking at the target whith a gunsight between the eye and the target and the other eye only has the target to look at. So that gives a kind of a double vision with two defferent pictures.

Isn`t this sort of the problem that the Apache helicopter pilots have.
Trying to see and process two different pictures?
One coming from the electronic miniscreen on the one eye and the other looking at the cockpit.

Similar to what I mean.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Are you absolutely SURE your right eye is the dominant one? Just for giggles
try aiming with the left eye. I shoot right handed and aim with my left eye.
If I try to aim right eyed I get the double image.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #5

I`ll give it a try, but I am sure my ruight one is the dominant one.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

For those unsure which eye is dominant- with both eyes open, look at an object 20 ft away. Keeping both eyes open, raise your extended arm, with your thumb up (like hitchhiking). Position your thumb so it blocks the item you are looking at. Without moving your hand, close one eye. Open it, close the other. The eye that when open does NOT move the object side to side is your dominant eye.

Most folks have troubles trying to focus on rear sight, front sight, target- they are at 3 different focal lengths. Try focusing on rear, THEN front, THEN target. Target will be sharp, front a bit fuzzy, rear real fuzzy.

If your double vision problem is TOO distracting, get an inexpensive pair of shooting glasses (yellow lens safety glasses, Home Depot) and cover the non-dominant lens with tape or carboard.

But DO try to focus on the target, both eyes. Of course, scopes are a different matter.

Think Doc Holiday had a different solution in Tombstone, tho.....

Old 12-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

These are all really good ideas.

I would recommend that whatever you do, you keep the "train like you fight" attitude.

Since you would probably not be wearing any range glasses in the event of a defense situation, I would stay away from aids like range glasses and whatnot.

It depends on what you are aiming (no pun intended) to do. Everybody's anatomy is a little different, so practice at your home and see what stance/view works best for you.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

you could be straining your eye which in turn can cause a bluurry or double vision. try starting out with one eye closed and then open the other eye. it could be that your eyes are crossing, hence the double vision. thats all i can think of at the moment. ill keep thinking about it though

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've never been able to shoot with both eyes open unless I'm using a holosight or 0x scope of some type. I've always just trained to close my left eye as I pick up my front sight.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #10

Hi gusy,

thank`s for all these answers.
Since I am back to the office today and up to my eyeballs in work, I didn`t have mch time to go through alle the answers yet. But as soon as I have the time, this week, I will and see, what methods I can adapt.

Ken