Advice for training brother inlaw - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Advice for training brother inlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Yes I would have no problem leaving him there , He plays every sport under the sun so I know he can learn. The main thing I have taught him so far is to keep your finger off the dang trigger until your ready, all my guns stay loaded , never point at anyone you dont intend to shoot. But he can some how shoot a berreta 9mm and make it not cycle ?????? I have yet to figure that one out lmao
Can he buy a gun on his own? If he can't, you may want to consider a tazer for him. Last thing you want is to have him shoot someone with your gun, even in self defense. Then it comes down to how big a phallus a prosecutor wants to be, and then you and your BIL are drug though the mud.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #12

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Yes I would have no problem leaving him there , He plays every sport under the sun so I know he can learn. The main thing I have taught him so far is to keep your finger off the dang trigger until your ready, all my guns stay loaded , never point at anyone you dont intend to shoot. But he can some how shoot a berreta 9mm and make it not cycle ?????? I have yet to figure that one out lmao
Maybe he's limpwristing it?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Maybe he's limpwristing it?
Bad as it sounds, I think you're right. Got his hand too far down on the grip, and it's screwing up the cycling.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

MobileMarine, as far as his competence, I think a quick call to his doctor with his permission or his guardian's permission would allay everyone's fears and it would completely remove any liability on your part in the future should there be some sort of accident. It would do you well to have a letter from his doctor saying there are no conditions in his mental damage that would prevent him from owning or using a gun. This isn't meant to be insulting or intrusive, just good common sense for the whole family!

As for your shooting questions, I believe any snubbie, no matter how downloaded, is a poor choice for a new or inexperienced shooter. The reason is that the recoil and controlability issues are much harder and most rounds have powder still burning when the bullet exits the snubbie, causing extra flash and noise. Snubbies seem to have all of the problems with none of the benefits, other than concealability. As far as the 9mm, I believe I can add my vote to limpwristing, as any deficiency in the gun that would cause that problem should also happen when you fire it if it is a mechanical failure. If it only happens when he shoots, that is the most likely problem.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #15

Liked 1084 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Not to be an arse , and honestly I really dont think there would be a legal issue and 2nd I live in a very relaxed , gun friendly county , and the sd office is under review by the sbi , my OP was asking for pointers not legal issues , if it comes down to protecting him or his mom I dont think I or him would not shoot b/c I was wondering if I would get into trouble. They live 100ft but I want him to have one and I want him to learn to take care of it and how to use it . The gun will last forever , that playstation wont

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #16

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Not to be an arse , and honestly I really dont think there would be a legal issue and 2nd I live in a very relaxed , gun friendly county , and the sd office is under review by the sbi , my OP was asking for pointers not legal issues , if it comes down to protecting him or his mom I dont think I or him would not shoot b/c I was wondering if I would get into trouble. They live 100ft but I want him to have one and I want him to learn to take care of it and how to use it . The gun will last forever , that playstation wont

Problem found.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Then...based on the premise that all the legal issues are not a problem, and we're discussing this hypothetically, if he's better with the 9, other than the cycling problem, check his grip. Sounds like he isn't holding it firmly.
Secondly, try a .380 or a 9mm.
Worse comes to worse, get him a .22. Yeah, it's a plinker, but, if a shotty is out of the question, then get something is comfortable with. A .22 that hits is more dangerous than a .357 that misses, after all.
Last thing? How does the MIL feel about you getting a gun in his hands, and having one in her house?
The PS3 comment doesn't worry me. My son's have one each, and so do I. Great for blue rays and dvd's.
Find something he is comfortable with, that he can reliably hit the target with. Be VERY aware, as I know you already are, that in a situation where he needs that gun, his reactions are going to be significantly different than shooting at a range in a controlled environment, and you are making a call on his ability to stay calmer in such a situation, and not make a bad decision.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #18

Well when he was using the snubbie with the laser grip , the laser is low and right if your iron sights are bulls eye . Knowing this myself i told him to keep the laser on so i could see more or less where he was aiming . I repeatedly asked him if the sights were target centered '' yes'' are you sure ? '' yes '' OK the why is the laser @ the top right hand corner ? My shooting skills are up to par but my teaching skills suck . By the end of the day he had my K frame .22 '' most accurate hand gun I own '' and he was still off target . Maybe somthing with a scope would help out . I can get a ruger mk3 with scope for 300.00 but its not too much cheaper than than a new one . BUt just to give him some credit we were shooting wad cutters and balls in the 38 .

BTW And im going to duck on this question .. what is limpwristing ? and how would that cause it not to cycle ? I gave thought to it being a semi dud round IE
not enough power to cycle but just enough to make it down range

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Well when he was using the snubbie with the laser grip , the laser is low and right if your iron sights are bulls eye . Knowing this myself i told him to keep the laser on so i could see more or less where he was aiming . I repeatedly asked him if the sights were target centered '' yes'' are you sure ? '' yes '' OK the why is the laser @ the top right hand corner ? My shooting skills are up to par but my teaching skills suck . By the end of the day he had my K frame .22 '' most accurate hand gun I own '' and he was still off target . Maybe somthing with a scope would help out . I can get a ruger mk3 with scope for 300.00 but its not too much cheaper than than a new one . BUt just to give him some credit we were shooting wad cutters and balls in the 38 .

BTW And im going to duck on this question .. what is limpwristing ? and how would that cause it not to cycle ? I gave thought to it being a semi dud round IE
not enough power to cycle but just enough to make it down range
Limpwristing is not having a firm grip, up high, on the firearm. By letting your hand slip on the grip, it lets the handgun kick up more, and this can screw up the cycling, as that resistance actually helps it cycle.
To give you an example, next time you go to the range, fire normally. Then, lower your grip about a quarter inch, and do NOT fight the recoil. Let it go up all the way, and you'll fail to cycle properly.
A lot of FTE's are more due to improper grip than to gun malfunction.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #20

Makes sense , Ill have to try it next time