Adrenaline Training - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Adrenaline Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This is one of the more enlightening threads I've come across. Thanks everyone for participating.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #22

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockStar View Post
A post about the affects of adrenaline in another thread led me to create this topic. Bare with me, as it might not be as put together as I would have liked.

Basically, anytime your life is in danger, be it a fist fight or a gun fight, adrenaline takes over. Now for our LEO's and Soldiers, this isn't much of a problem. Considering that they have spent a large portion of their adult lives training for just this reason. They fall back on good training and solid repetitions which usually serves them well in chaos.

Where does that leave the rest of us? My girlfriend for example, she has no problems at the range when it comes to clearing malfunctions, changing mags, or any of the other simple tasks that go along with operating a firearm. Kick her door in and she would most likely be frazzled to the point where she is nowhere near as effective with that firearm as she really is. Forgetting one simple step could be the difference between life and death.

I guess what I hope to achieve by this is as follows: Does anyone know of any legit ways to trigger adrenaline or at least simulate it? I do not feel comfortable yelling at her like a Drill Sargent and I do not believe she is going to handle her firearm nearly enough to make it an extension of her hand.

That being said, do you feel a once a week shooter is going to have the skill set to fall back on when adrenaline takes over and you are no longer "conscious" of every action you make so to speak?
"Kick my door in", and I'm already going to be pissed, because

you just wrecked my door. I don't know about training, but if you

damage my house after I just got it back together, you better

have some training to back up that move, and my less than kind

response to it...

Everybody trains a little differently. IMO, you need to visualize and

practice for as many scenarios as you can,

but it's an anomaly of probability that disasters and emergencies

rarely play out along statistical guidelines or predictable patterns.

Training which embraces the unlikely as well as the predictable is good.

Allow me to share with you the story about the guy who went

ice fishing with his new Jeep, his friend, his dog, some dynamite,

and a shotgun.

They parked on a frozen lake. Dug a hole in the ice, planted the dynamite,

lit the fuse, then backed off. The dog, a Retriever, decided at that moment

to retrieve the lit stick of dyno. The two guys, in an effort

to stop the dog from running up them, fired the shotgun,

with a birdshot load a little off center of the dog. The dog,

feeling the sting, then ran under the truck, where he felt safe.

Ka-BOOM! The new Jeep sank into the ice. For some reason the

insurance company didn't want to pay for the Jeep...

Last edited by therewolf; 09-23-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #23

as trip286 said at range training was sparse. less than once a month for me.But you must consider the hours and hours of taking the rifle down and clearing stoppages and misfires before we ever even saw a range. Got out in 1991 ,but can still completely strip an m-16 blindfolded, and the handling of misfires is ingrained and automatic. serious repetition is the key. how many interviews have you seen with military and police where they say" I dont know , my training just took over"

Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #24

There are ways to induce flight fight response for tactical firefight applications. My current unit does the standard military training and twice a yr provides tactical training through an outside source: LMS Defense. They provide training to you under as safe a condition a possible. The training is conducted under stressful situations to ensure you develop proper muscle memory and react adequately under pressure - this is meant to simulate fight or flight mode.
---There are other organizations out there that might be just as good. I have no experience with any other company. My units preference to use this particular company and I am not trying to endorse them.---
All instructors are prior military, SWAT, police, etc and have used these techniques during real situations.
OUR Training through LMS Defense is tailored to OUR needs. I am not sure if you can receive the same extent of training through them that we do. YOUR needs will differ. The course we take is two weeks long and 8 - 12 hrs long per day.
Some of what our course entails:
--FULL Battle Rattle during course--
Body armor and kevlar helmet the whole time (sucks but is a necessity for us).
-Tactical Carbine
-Pistol
-Night fire
-Firing while on the move
-Bounding and maneuvering drills
-Firing from a vehicle
-Dismounting from a vehicle and then firing weapons
-Rifle: reload and charge weapon with one hand (might have been shot in other arm)
-Pistol: reload and operate slide with one hand by getting into kneeling position, placing sights on back of boot, and shoving down (This can be deemed DANGEROUS and I don't recommend trying this just because I typed it here)
-etc, etc, etc.
As stated above the training provided to us will differ from what you would receive based on your needs.
Obviously, you wouldn't need to be running around in full battle rattle, eating while reloading your mags and getting back into the "firefight", etc.
Trust me when I state they will put stress on you and you will learn to perform.
Once again:
---There are other organizations out there that might be just as good. I have no experience with any other company. My units preference to use this particular company and I am not trying to endorse them.---
If you are interested in finding information on courses provided by this company or a company like them I suggest doing a google search.

One thing that I do is know both my service and personal weapons in and out. That way I am prepared no matter where I am and what the circumstances are.
When it comes to home defense practicing scenarios within your home is paramount. Learn basic movement drills and clear your house with a broom stick, an unloaded weapon, or with dummy rounds so you can cycle the action. When it comes to your life it is never inconvenient to look silly if you opt to practice with a broom stick.

Last edited by genconex; 10-05-2011 at 11:59 PM.