Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidents and injuries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Nope. I just continued fueling the car. It was during a pit stop in the 24 Hours of Daytona back in 1989. I was the fuel man, the fuel port was located directly over the red hot exhaust outlet, the 3" fuel hose puked about a half gallon on me when I put it in the car, then it dripped down the car onto the exhaust and "WOOF!" I was on fire. If I had pulled out it might have gotten worse. There were 2 guys with fire extinguishers trained on me and they put it out pretty quick while I finished filling the car. I got some 2nd degree burns on my neck where the firesuit didn't cover me (I should have had a balaclava on, but didn't).

Didn't have one in 1989.
Damn man, that sucks... Glad you were wearing a suit and the guys hopped in quick with the fire extinguishers and most of all you didn't panic and pull out too soon!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #22

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1
Too many to count!

As far as firearms go:

Been hit by a ricochet .22, but thankfully it was an aguila and I was wearing jeans, so it didn't penetrate but it sure did sting like hell.

ALMOST got hit by another .22 ricochet, and this one would've done some serious damage. I heard it hit the metal silhouette target, then I heard it zip right past my head, and hit my shed behind me.

Had a 209 primer explode in my face. Not fun. No injuries, but it took a couple days to regain hearing.

I've cut my hand multiple times on my FIE .22, until I took a dremel to that thing.

I've also caught on fire, pyrotechnic wise. X3

I've also accidentally stabbed myself multiple times. Not too deep. Deepest was about a half inch.
I stabbed myself in the knee on accident drunk! 2 inches deep.... The nerves are still trying to heal

Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #23

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Only gun related one was a shaved jacket in the hand from an out of time revolver.

Herniated disk in my spine that hit the nerve to my left leg while running an obstacle course and landing wrong. Paralyzed the leg for a few minutes but had pain for years before having surgery. Still get occasional phantom pains in the leg and foot at random intervals.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #24

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I had meant to ask mostly about gun related injuries but I guess in my drunken state I hadn't specified lol! But I'm glad I didn't because the injuries you guys have been through are pretty intense.

Thanks for sharing guys

I broke my arm skateboarding when I was younger. I was holding on to my friends moms car... Fell, broke my left arm, smacked head and front flipped into standing back up.

I was drinking White Russians and stabbed myself in the knee as I said lol..

Those are the two most violent ones I've had, plenty more dumb stuff...

When I was a kid my aunts goat horned me right in the ribs and took my little ass out.... Hard

Old 04-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 5366

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
ALL of my injuries have been accidental. Did not plan for any of them.
Looking back I could say the same. None of mine were planned by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The worst accidental injury I have suffered was grabbing a pit viper from the wrong end. Several days of ICU followed.
that is scary on a level I don't even want to think about. Almost got bit by a copperhead while out hunting in NC. Still VERY D@MN GLAD I was wearing shake chaps and boots. Glad you pulled through Chainfire.

Quote:
Garand thumb.
Never heard of that one. Let me guess, it has something to do with inserting the en-block clip, and the bolt hold releasing while your thumb is still in the action?

Quote:
Caught on fire once while fueling a car. That was exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Stop. Drop. Roll. Scream like little girl.
Viking. good thing those guys were at the ready with those extinguishers, and that you didn't panic. This place wouldn't be as much fun without you. KYtowboater, that sounds about right. At least it's what the gas pumper I used to work with did when he caught on fire filling a can on the back of someone's pick up. No time to get to the extinguishers, had to use 2 2 liters of pepsi to put him out. One of the other pumpers took care of the can on the truck. To this day, we still call that guy Torchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildwonder View Post
I was drinking White Russians and..............

When I was a kid my aunts goat horned me right in the ribs and took my little ass out.... Hard
You have no idea how many of my stories stat the same way.......

One of my friend's mothers is still miffed at me for hog tying one of her goats, that used to chase tho other neighborhood kids down the road, when I was 12. She decided it was time to fix the fence and the gate to her back yard when she came out and found her hog tied on the back porch.

Firearms wise, aside from the previously mentioned hit in the leg, and an AD with a Jennings J22 discussed in another thread, had 3 slugs hit the stump I was leaning against, and had one fly right by my head while stalking a buck. Both tomes, I was wearing a blaze orange jacket. The first one I responded with 2 rounds, an inch apart, into a tree a foot away from the guy who shot the stump. He was informed that the second shot was to show him that the first was not an accident. At that point, my dad walked over and told the guy to get off our property. He decided that dicresion is the better part of valor, and left. Immediately.

The second one, I hit the ground and called out. The guy who almost hit me is a pretty close friend who forgot to check the area behind his target, and thankfully, he missed the doe and me. No harm, no foul.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 04-30-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7399 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9513

Kkox75,
Yes, Garand thumb is when you get your (usually left) thumb slammed by the bolt closing when you insert the Enbloc clip into the magazine well. It hurts like Hell. To properly load the Garand magazine you do it with the heel of your right hand holding the bolt back while simultaneously pushing the Enblock clip home with your right thumb. You have to have a strong hand to do it right.

There was another guy I knew back then who we called Smoke. He got the name from when he was working the pits in a Desert Off Road race in Mexico. He was the fuel man and while fueling the trophy truck he dumped some fuel on himself and got lit on fire, so he turned and ran down the pits until somebody on another team tackled him and put him out. He was wearing a full Nomex fire suit with the balaclava and helmet so he didn't get hurt, or at least nothing too bad.

Later that evening when everybody was sitting around the paddock drinking Margaritas and cervesas and he was sitting there in his singed uniform, everybody got silent for a bit and he broke the silence by saying "You know, when you're on fire, people get outta your way!"

Well no sh!t!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #27

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
Caught on fire once while fueling a car. That was exciting.
Is this you?

Name:  image-2625231851.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  22.1 KB

http://m.videobash.com/video/show/id/46555

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
What the Hell is that??

Strangely enough though, I do have an Early Bronco.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
Trez Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #29

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

What the Hell is that??

Strangely enough though, I do have an Early Bronco.
Hahahaha it's a movie called Zoolander.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
Hahahaha it's a movie called Zoolander.
Too strange.

Quote: