accidental firing of gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > accidental firing of gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

This one-
victory-model.jpg

This variant of the Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver was known as the Victory model. Made for military use, it can be picked out by the lanyard loop on the butt, and most had a serial number beginning with the letter V. They were made in caliber .38 S&W, and later in .38 Special (you folks called it the .38/200) It was not until well after WW 2 that S&W started numbering their models- but when they did, that would become a model 10.

Only a few oddball European revolvers HAD a safety- they do not need one- the safety lies in the large movement of the trigger needed to fire one. So please do not write about the antagonist "Clicking the safety off on his revolver..."

If you were cocking a revolver, finger OFF the trigger, and hammer slipped, not likely to discharge (anything is possible- I mean, hell, Diana married Charles...)

BUT- if you had a gun that had been cocked, and you were trying to lower the hammer, if you held hammer with thumb, pulled trigger to release, were easing hammer down to rest position when it slipped out from under a thumb (covered in blood or the grease from a Yorkshire pudding)- you get a UB.

Many folks speak of an AD- Accidental Discharge. Here on this forum we use ND- NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE. Also called being stupid in public.

A broken automatic pistol that fires when the safety is released (with no trigger pull) might properly be an AD. Putting your finger inside the trigger guard before you are ready to shoot (and sneezing) was negligent.

Your character may have chosen a British revolver, such as the Webley.
webley.jpg.

Like the S&W, some of the Webleys shot the same cartridge, a nasty little .38 with a very big bullet. Due to the very long bullet, had a habit of turning sideways when it hit you, making a rather impressive hole.
webley-38-ammo.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

BTW, the S&W M&P revolver did not have a transfer bar set up. Firing pin is attached directly to hammer. However, there IS a block on the hammer when in the rest position.

People Like This 
Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Unloading- and emptying fired cartridge cases-

S&W- see that checked latch just behind the cylinder (round thing that holds cartridges?). Press that towards the muzzle, and the cylinder can be swung out to the side. When the ejector rod (thin metal rod sticking out of the cylinder) is pushed, cartridges in the cylinder are pushed out.

Webley- latch at the top rear of cylinder. Push latch, revolver breaks open (rather like a double barreled shotgun breaks open) As it opens, a cam catches the ejector, pushes it back, automatically emptying the cylinder. Watch movie Zulu for illustration of reloading.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-30-2013 at 01:21 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #24

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

Thanks guys, nice thread good history

Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

This is a newer version of the Victory model, but same design- shows operation of the revolver-

pipegold Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #26

Likes Given: 17

Wow! c3shooter, thank you so much for all of that - so informative and seriously helpful. I really appreciate you lending me your time and expertise. Thanks.

That video makes me want one.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

You are welcome. Make it over to this side of the pond, any number of us would be happy to take you shooting with us.

People Like This 
Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

and nobody has to respond to any thread either. don't like the subject of the thread, move to another or make up one of your own.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
and nobody has to respond to any thread either. don't like the subject of the thread, move to another or make up one of your own.
Please forgive me, just stuck my last nerve today... thank you, onward I move................
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #30

Likes Given: 17

I was just composing a response, when it came to posting I saw that some posts were removed, wisely I guess. So I'll take some of the wind blowing and try and assuage some concerns I wasn't expecting. More succinct than I would wish for obvious reasons:

I'm a British libertarian. I woke up about 7 yrs ago. The story is libertarian. We in Britain are disarmed. Stories, when they can be heard, can be something that helps in that situation. Whether armed or not, we are brothers.