Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 789 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
(I store all guns in the safe unloaded and without a magazine),
All my guns are always loaded. Much easier that way.

I was impressed with my brother in law last week when he looked at my new rifle. I completely cleared the rifle in front of him, he took it from me and completely cleared it again. I yelled at him for apologizing for it tho... no apology necessary, safety requires no apology.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i reloaded my side by side double barrel shotgun one time closed it with the safety off bang huge hole in the ground less then a foot in front of me

Last edited by Rtyauch; 09-08-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #33

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Got my first pistol when I turned 21. It was a hi point. One day my lab came into heat and a bunch of mutts were hanging around her so I stuck my pistol out my upstairs window and fired a shot ( not aiming at the mutts just hoping that the sound of a 45 would run them off) and it worked. Put the safety on and pulled my hand inside the window and thought where a good place to discharge is. Just then gun went off with safety still on put hole in my floor. Scared the **** outta me and my wife. Since then it would double and triple fire. Had to get rid of it.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7841 Times on 4527 Posts
Likes Given: 10100

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
All my guns are always loaded. Much easier that way.

I was impressed with my brother in law last week when he looked at my new rifle. I completely cleared the rifle in front of him, he took it from me and completely cleared it again. I yelled at him for apologizing for it tho... no apology necessary, safety requires no apology.

Let me clarify, all of the guns that are in storage in the safe are unloaded. All guns that are in use are kept loaded. I make a clear distinction between the guns I have for defense that are in various places and those that are in storage. I see no reason to have my M1 Garand, my trap gun, or any other of my various range and hunting guns loaded at all times when I have specific guns that for that purpose. It is much safer that way, especially since I do have kids and there are other kids around at times.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Mine wasn't actually mine. It was my uncle's. Him, my cousin, father, brother, and me were unloading our respective weapons after a day of hunting, and my uncle's (sporterized Springfield) went off. The bullet litteraly flew inches away from my cousin's chest. Needless to say it scared the ever living f@ck out of us. We spent the next hour and a half looking for the bullet. We found it about 25yds away with a 2 and a 1/2 foot long gouge in the ground. After getting home and inpecting the gun the fireing pin was worn and that led to the ad. Since then i have checked, double checked, and triple check all weapons when i handel them. Hopefully that event will stop me from ever having to experience an ad.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7841 Times on 4527 Posts
Likes Given: 10100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben91 View Post
Mine wasn't actually mine. It was my uncle's. Him, my cousin, father, brother, and me were unloading our respective weapons after a day of hunting, and my uncle's (sporterized Springfield) went off. The bullet litteraly flew inches away from my cousin's chest. Needless to say it scared the ever living f@ck out of us. We spent the next hour and a half looking for the bullet. We found it about 25yds away with a 2 and a 1/2 foot long gouge in the ground. After getting home and inpecting the gun the fireing pin was worn and that led to the ad. Since then i have checked, double checked, and triple check all weapons when i handel them. Hopefully that event will stop me from ever having to experience an ad.
Always keeping a firearm pointed in a safe direction should take care of the problem that your uncle experienced. had the rifle been pointed away from your cousin it would have been very alarming, but not a near-death experience.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #37

Winchester 94 and a cold numb thumb. Need I say anymore? I had the gun pointed safely at the ground, just in case, as I always do. It still scared the crap out of me.

I'd do more fishing if I could use a gun!