Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #21
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6746 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
In that gun when the safety is on it blocks or keeps the firing pin protruding into the chamber as if he was firing. When he racked it the pin hit the rim of the cartridge being loaded and it went bang.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I was 16 ... she was 15 ... she said not to get any in her hair but ... Shazaam!!!
You are such a dog...........

Old 08-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #22

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Had a nd with a browning buckmark. I was looking at a friends gun, kicked out the mag, cleared the barrel, let the slide forward, released the firing pin (pulled the trigger). Of course i negligently put the mag in. 1 second of not thinking negligence and that thing went off into the floor. I have never been so sick and scared in my life. I had 3 people sitting around me. To this day I get nauseous thinking about it. Thank god I am always aware of where the barrel is pointed. The feeling you get is indescribable until you have been there. The only good comes from a very serious lesson learned.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7741 Times on 4472 Posts
Likes Given: 9991

I was showing a buddy of mine my modified 10/22, pulled it out of the safe, made sure there was no magazine in place (I store all guns in the safe unloaded and without a magazine), drew the bolt back and glanced in the chamber and handed it to him and told him to try the trigger. He took aim on a spot on the wall and pulled the trigger BANG!!!!!

There was a round in the chamber. The light was not good and I was just automatically going through the motions without actually visually confirming an empty chamber.

The round went through the wall and off into the canyon behind the house. No dwellings or people back there. But still. Scared the Hell out of everybody in the house. I still to this day and for the rest of my life will check and recheck guns so I never make the same mistake again.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #24
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1674 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Mad props to y'all for owning mistakes...

Mine was at age 11, though not completely my fault...

Scout Jamboree, going for my marksmanship merit badge...(ya, I know, what's that?)...I sit at the bench behind some old azz blackpowder something or other...it was a long time ago...thing was longer than I was tall, I shoulder it, align my sights, go for the trigger and BOOM...not ready, knocked my 80 pound azz clear off the bench...

The RO and my d**kface stepdad were in hysterics, (apparently seeing a kid in pain was amusing to them somehow and I'm here to tell ya THAT SH*T HURT)...

Come to find out the joke was on me as they never bothered to tell me about the 'hair trigger', they wanted to see what would happen...ha ha, very funny motherfu**ers...

Wasn't my first time shooting but I made sure it was my last for a LONG time...(sans the Crossman BB gun I bought myself with my paper route money at age 13...best investment I EVER made)...not that I was afraid to shoot anymore, I didn't trust anyone not to pull that sadistic sh*t on me again...

I've heard stories like this about people playing 'tricks' on new shooters and every time I do, I want to punch the jokers right in the nards, just ain't cool...
Real sorry to hear about a Scouter with an evil sense of humor like that. Sure hope you can blame the guy and not the program.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

vincent Likes This 
Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #25
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1674 Times on 1020 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I was showing a buddy of mine my modified 10/22, pulled it out of the safe, made sure there was no magazine in place (I store all guns in the safe unloaded and without a magazine), drew the bolt back and glanced in the chamber and handed it to him and told him to try the trigger. He took aim on a spot on the wall and pulled the trigger BANG!!!!!

There was a round in the chamber. The light was not good and I was just automatically going through the motions without actually visually confirming an empty chamber.

The round went through the wall and off into the canyon behind the house. No dwellings or people back there. But still. Scared the Hell out of everybody in the house. I still to this day and for the rest of my life will check and recheck guns so I never make the same mistake again.
It's too easy to do. You start with the right technique and follow it religiously, hell you even preach it. Then as time goes on you get so used to it that you wind up "going through the motions".

I've never understood the purpose of sticking your finger in the chamber to check for a round. Always sounded like overkill to me (any fool can see there's no round in there, right?). Not any more! Thanks for the lesson learned!

Eject the magazine, lock the slide back, look in the chamber, stick your finger in the chamber, look again, stick again, pretty soon you think there might not be a round in there. Then you remember the first rule: "Every gun is always loaded." and you look and stick again to make sure.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Just goes to show that extractors can skip off the rim of a cartridge or not fully engage and leave one in the pipe

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
It's too easy to do. You start with the right technique and follow it religiously, hell you even preach it. Then as time goes on you get so used to it that you wind up "going through the motions".

I've never understood the purpose of sticking your finger in the chamber to check for a round. Always sounded like overkill to me (any fool can see there's no round in there, right?). Not any more! Thanks for the lesson learned!

Eject the magazine, lock the slide back, look in the chamber, stick your finger in the chamber, look again, stick again, pretty soon you think there might not be a round in there. Then you remember the first rule: "Every gun is always loaded." and you look and stick again to make sure.
I don't stick my finger in the chamber (impossible for me to do with a .22 anyhow) but I do make sure there is sufficient light available to be able to see clearly. That was one of the contributing factors in my AD. My gun safe is in the bedroom hall where there is poor lighting.

If there is one good thing in what happened it is that my friend didn't take aim at one of my wife's handmade needlepoints hanging on that same wall!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #28
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I don't stick my finger in the chamber (impossible for me to do with a .22 anyhow) but I do make sure there is sufficient light available to be able to see clearly. That was one of the contributing factors in my AD. My gun safe is in the bedroom hall where there is poor lighting.

If there is one good thing in what happened it is that my friend didn't take aim at one of my wife's handmade needlepoints hanging on that same wall!
This is why I keep a flashlight and extra batteries in my safes. That way I can clear the chamber even if we're having one of our frequent blackouts. Currently, I have one of those glow stick flashlights that can be found in the wal mart sporting goods section in each one. $3 a light is cheaper than repairing a wall, or criminal charges.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
This is why I keep a flashlight and extra batteries in my safes. That way I can clear the chamber even if we're having one of our frequent blackouts. Currently, I have one of those glow stick flashlights that can be found in the wal mart sporting goods section in each one. $3 a light is cheaper than repairing a wall, or criminal charges.
Great idea. I have a whole case of those glow sticks. I have also thought of installing an LED light strip in my safe that comes on when I open the door, but there is no room. Seriously though, when I get another safe and can get some more room I am going to do it. Battery powered of course.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #30

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362