Accidental Discharge - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Trap shooting with my 1100 on a farm, gun malfunctioned, went to clear the chamber, muzzle in the air and buttstock on my thigh, dropped the bolt pulling it back, gun slam fired. Firing pin was fouled up I guess. Broke it down and cleaned it. Didn't happen again. Was 300 rounds into it that day. Scared the crap out of me.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #12

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Mad props to y'all for owning mistakes...

Mine was at age 11, though not completely my fault...

Scout Jamboree, going for my marksmanship merit badge...(ya, I know, what's that?)...I sit at the bench behind some old azz blackpowder something or other...it was a long time ago...thing was longer than I was tall, I shoulder it, align my sights, go for the trigger and BOOM...not ready, knocked my 80 pound azz clear off the bench...

The RO and my d**kface stepdad were in hysterics, (apparently seeing a kid in pain was amusing to them somehow and I'm here to tell ya THAT SH*T HURT)...

Come to find out the joke was on me as they never bothered to tell me about the 'hair trigger', they wanted to see what would happen...ha ha, very funny motherfu**ers...

Wasn't my first time shooting but I made sure it was my last for a LONG time...(sans the Crossman BB gun I bought myself with my paper route money at age 13...best investment I EVER made)...not that I was afraid to shoot anymore, I didn't trust anyone not to pull that sadistic sh*t on me again...

I've heard stories like this about people playing 'tricks' on new shooters and every time I do, I want to punch the jokers right in the nards, just ain't cool...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #13

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
I had one once with my 870. I was at the range and had the chamber open, barrel was down range. I loaded the one shell into the chamber and slammed the pump forward... Immediately BANG. Scared the crap outa me. Saw the dust cloud at the ground of the 25 yd target. I almost stopped shooting but told myself it happens and I needed to sight the shotgun in so I stayed and rattled off 19 more slugs.
This happend to me hunting with my Mossberg 500 loaded the gun went to put one in the pipe and bang almost pooped my self lol I think my friend pissed him self lol we walked off the other way

Old 08-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8106

I learned the hard way that the safety on a Jennings J-22 locks the firing pin forward (into the chamber) when I was 14.

Dad and I were shooting in the back yard, when he decided to train me on the new gun he picked up for mom. He handed it to me, had me drop the mag, clear the chambr, and put the safety on. We both forgot to take the safety off whe I put in the magazine and racked the slide. BANG! Thank god it was pointed in a safe direction.

In dad's defense, he bought the pistol used in a pawn shop with no owner's manual, so even he did not have a chance to read the warnings. The owner's manual warns of this problem, but we were still waiting on it to arive. As a result, I am now a manual and make sure that weapon is clear nazi.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
We both forgot to take the safety off whe I put in the magazine and racked the slide. BANG! Thank god it was pointed in a safe direction.
I don't understand this. What does the safety being off have to do with the gun firing when the slide is racked. Remember......I still have a lot to learn.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

I don't understand this. What does the safety being off have to do with the gun firing when the slide is racked. Remember......I still have a lot to learn.
In that gun when the safety is on it blocks or keeps the firing pin protruding into the chamber as if he was firing. When he racked it the pin hit the rim of the cartridge being loaded and it went bang.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #17

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I was 16 ... she was 15 ... she said not to get any in her hair but ... Shazaam!!!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

vincent Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Lol thats wrong

Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Umm rofl....

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #20

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i was about 13 or so, and my uncle and i were duck huntin in the edge of flooded timber. we both had model 1100s, but his was 12 ga and mine was 20 ga.

well, @ that time, lead was still in use, and the mallard drake was about 40 or 50 yards out....too far for the lil 20, so he hands me the 12 with nitro magnum loads in it.

i eased up next to him and he handed me the shotgun, took aim, and BLOOM, it went off. lead flew towards the drake and i flew away from him. my boots had taken suction in the gumbo mud and tripped me up. as i went down, my uncle was moving forward to see about the mallard, but unbeknownst to him, i was turned around backwards, almost laying in the water, with the 12 ga layin 1/2 under it (the water).

long story short, my trigger finger was still inside the guard and as i was tryin to get control of the shotty, it went off again, into a HUGE oak tree that was about 2 - 3 feet behind my uncle.

needless to say that it scared the $hit outta he and i both. i will never forget that good lesson in firearms handlin, and never forget the luck that was with us that day.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me