Accidental Discharge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default Accidental Discharge

There are only two kinds of computer users. Those that haven't crashed yet, and those that are about to. There are also two kinds of shooters. Those who have never had an AD, and those that are about to. Well let's hope not.

Would you be willing to humble yourself, swallow your pride, and share your dumbass, dufas, AD experience with others, in the hope that it may prevent a tragedy. I'll start, and willing accept all criticism, ridicule, and name calling. This happened 31 years ago, but I'll never forget it.

Back in the early 80's, I use to do a lot of IPSC shooting with a 44 Mag revolver. Back then, we just shot whatever we had in these matches. Now reloading a revolver quickly takes quite a bit of practice. So one day I'm standing in front of my big picture window in the living room and practicing my reloads with what I thought were my dummy rounds. You guessed it. BANG! The sound was deafening! I was shocked beyond belief. I sank to my knees like I had been shot. I swear my heart stopped beating as I had stopped breathing. My blood pressure went through the roof. I had just put a nice neat little round hole in my big picture window. My girlfriend and her kids and my kids were all in the kitchen right next to me. They all came running. I tried to get up but was to shaky. There were houses right across the street. Where did that round go? Try as I might, I could not determine. I could have gone there, or there, or there, or? I was waiting for ambulances to appear somewhere in the neighbor, along with a flood of squad cars. As the minutes passed, I felt worse and worse. Absolutely indescribable! Ten minutes passed, then 20, then 30, then 40, then 50. But all was quiet outside. An hour later, I walked outside to view the hole in the window, and looked across the street. Where did that round go? I never did find out. No ambulances or squads ever came. It was like nothing had happened. I didn't sleep all night. This incident put the fear of God in me concerning guns. It's only by His grace and mercy that I didn't end up in prison for taking an innocent life.

Glean from this what you will. I violated umpteen safety rules. We play with deadly stuff. While we say it all the time, it really has to sink in. BE SMART. BE ALERT. AND ALWAYS BE SAFE!

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 08-03-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I loaded and shot before the range officer said we could...

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Accidental or Negligent discharge.

I've had an accidental during a competition.
The RO gave the instruction "Load and make ready". On letting the slide go forward, the 1911 went full auto.

The firing pin broke on a previous run and enough stuck out (being held by the spring) that it would not retract.

Yeah, I got DQ'd.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #4

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

The RO gave the instruction "Load and make ready". On letting the slide go forward, the 1911 went full auto.

The firing pin broke on a previous run and enough stuck out (being held by the spring) that it would not retract.

Yeah, I got DQ'd.
That was a mechanical failure mine was negligent.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I offer up my tale.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68082

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1041 Times on 628 Posts

At my (former) club, a highly experienced shooter had a ND, the same night I had an AD. It really rattled me, but drove home with an explanation point the importance of safety.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Yeah, I got DQ'd.
Missouri state Idpa 2012. I was first shooter on our first stage.

Same story and ending ... but mine only went bang once.

Neither of us should've been DQ'd, the unsafe firearm should've been DQ'd... shooter uses backup gun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 170 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Never an AD but many times have done a safety check on which I thought was an empty weapon and found one in the pipe sends a cold chill down my spine every time.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Never had a AD but that is my worst nightmare. Two things that I take very seriously are driving and guns.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I had one once with my 870. I was at the range and had the chamber open, barrel was down range. I loaded the one shell into the chamber and slammed the pump forward... Immediately BANG. Scared the crap outa me. Saw the dust cloud at the ground of the 25 yd target. I almost stopped shooting but told myself it happens and I needed to sight the shotgun in so I stayed and rattled off 19 more slugs.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.