Accidental Discharge - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Criminy !
I'm tired of the safety rules made up by each person ( Check it twice, rack it three times, etc. ) .
Pulling the trigger without the muzzle pointed at a safe backstop ( box of phone books, body armor, sand barrel etc. ) violates Rule #1 and Rule #2 of Cooper's Rules ---Period !

To unload, with finger up on frame off the trigger, remove the mag, rack the slide twice and lock it open, visually and physically check the chamber and the rest of the interior of the gun for any rounds stuck inside .

To store the gun, let the slide forward, finger still off the trigger . Point it at a safe backstop and pull the trigger if you want to . If it leaves your hands, re-check it before dry snapping .

To hand a gun to someone else, hand it over open and empty and pointed in a safe direction .

Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #42

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
OMFG!!! Just sprayed coke out my nose! It burns!!
Trip : I see where you got your nickname . As expensive as coke is, you cannot afford to let it spray out of your nose ( negligent discharge ), unless you are Paris Hilton . Proper procedure : Use a quality steel coke spoon of the right size and never a straw and " line " . Clear your sinuses before snorting . Hope this helps because accidents like yours give the sport of drug abuse a bad name LOL .

Notice to slow learners : This was a joke . Call the DEA back and let them know too .

Last edited by Rentacop; 11-10-2013 at 03:01 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2015, 04:18 AM   #43

Negligent discharge happened to my neighbor today with me in the room and my back turned towards him so I could not see what he was doing. I heard him rack it and BANG. Threw a .45 slug into his work bench. Now the question is, how do I continue my friendship with this guy who obviously has issues with guns and clearing them? Should I call a spade a spade and ditch the friendship we have over this what could have been tragic negligent discharge or??? Any good words of advice? Thank you.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:24 AM   #44
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8737 Times on 4709 Posts
Likes Given: 18468

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsitworthtou View Post
Any good words of advice?
If your friendship only revolves around firearms, (see what I did there?) it may have ended. If your relationship is more broad, maybe you can continue doing those other things together.
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #45

Liked 236 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Everyone there was lucky the gun was pointed in a safe direction.

Any time a round is chambered in an auto, it can fire - rare but possible.

A high primer can cause a discharge when the slide closes.

If the ejector is bent or broken, it can act like a firing pin when the slide closes or opens.

The firing pin can become wedged in it's channel & stuck in the forward position due to dirt, carbon, dried lube, or even a particle of brass or other object. In that case it acts like a full-auto & slam-fires the cartridge when the slide closes. If you own a Glock, you'll find this information in the manual. One of the safety checks is to remove the slide, hold in that firing pin safety button with your thumb & shake the slide front & back. You should hear & see the firing pin rattle in its channel.

Some military rifles like the SKS have a free-floating firing pin with no firing pin safety or block like modern pistols have. When the bolt closes, the firing pin actually hits the primer of the chambered round due to inertia; you can see the light dent in the primer. That's why military rifles are designed for military ammo - which has harder primers.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #46
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7909 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 9065

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsitworthtou View Post
Negligent discharge happened to my neighbor today with me in the room and my back turned towards him so I could not see what he was doing. I heard him rack it and BANG. Threw a .45 slug into his work bench. Now the question is, how do I continue my friendship with this guy who obviously has issues with guns and clearing them? Should I call a spade a spade and ditch the friendship we have over this what could have been tragic negligent discharge or??? Any good words of advice? Thank you.
The answers to that are many and few, if he's a real friend, youve got some work on your hands and a real friend will be ready to eat what your about to feed him. A real friend will accept the ass chewing they are about to receive and thank you for it. They wont give you an excuse for their bad actions, they will promise and fulfill that promise by showing they have grasped the absolute depth of their "Mistake" and will never ever do it again. They also wont be mad when you remind them a few hundred times about it over the next 30 years or so.

If he's not a "Real Friend" because he isnt concerned about you both living a long life to enjoy that friendship, it is prolly time to find another who is real and safe and you can live long and prosper near and dear without fear.
artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 01-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3824 Times on 2611 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

This is an odd Dear Abby question, especially coming from a stranger to the forum.
People Like This 
Old 01-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #48
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7909 Times on 4059 Posts
Likes Given: 9065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
This is an odd Dear Abby question, especially coming from a stranger to the forum.
True but I guess this is as good a place (maybe better) than any other to ask. Many peoples would say they they feel uncomfortable around firearms period and they might not be the best peoples to ask about this case.

Its even hard here to answer, there is always allot more to the story than you can get from a short description. It was a very bad mistake but falls short of tragedy for the obvious fact nobody was actually harmed. The tragedy could come in if the author of the OP and the AD'er don't gain and maintain great wisdom in retrospect given the multitude of possible outcomes that didnt happen that day.

For those of us that believe anything like this could never happen to you or me, please dont tempt fate that way. Bad things happen to good people even with the best training and greatest intentions. Ive repaired too many windows in my very own glass house thinking otherwise in my past to start pitching stones today.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3274 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Your "friend" has a lot to learn. It is incumbent upon you to educate him. If he does not accept the lesson, he is not a friend. I have few friends and many aquaintances. Friends are for life. Aquaintances drift in and out of our lives.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #50

Liked 398 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I still remember the time around 18-19 years ago we ( my son, high school age, a neighbor, my age 50s, his friend, 30s)were hunting moose in my vehicle (Blazer S10). We saw a moose on a slope 30 yards from the edge of the road at the closest, we got out Mickey (the neighbor ) handed me my gun, I chambered a round, took it off safe, and examined the animal he was iffy on legality ( 50" or 3 tines), we decided to let him go and went back to load up. I put the safety back on, handed it to Dan( Mickey's friend), who was sitting behind the drivers seat, he set the rifle butt down on the hump and it went off. My son was in the front seat and Mickey was just about to enter behind him, that was the loudest 30-06 I ever heard! After checking our underware, and our hearing, we discussed the event, and causes, what went right ,( position of muzzle, etc.) and what went wrong, ( relying on the safety instead of emptying the chamber. To this day I use this as an example ( and my son still talks about the CB antenna hole in the Blazer). Accidental Discharge? Yes. Preventable ? Yes. Teachable moment ? Most definately, and still teaching. Am I emberrased? With a shinning red face.