Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Accidental Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriffoconee View Post
at my age, I am having more and more accidental discharges......

oh...uhh, you mean with a FIREARM????? No, never with a firearm.....
Sheriff, you out of Depends again?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
All of my centerfire semi-auto handguns have decocking levers. I always carry with a chambered round, but I leave the decocker in position. This prevents the gun from being discharged even if the trigger is pulled. Prior to being able to fire a round, the decocker must be flipped up, like a safety. This requires a conscious effort on the part of the shooter, and is also another lifesaving precaution in the unlikely event that I am forcibly disarmed since it would buy extra time before the gun can be brought into battery. I learned very early on through the use of BP revolvers to always carry with an empty chamber under the hammer.
Quoted for Truth. This is exactly why I chose a pistol with a decocker/safety. I never dry-fire my pistol unless: either have a mag with only snap caps (verified by emptying the mag and loading it again), or by checking the chamber and dry-firing without the magazine in (my PX4 will fire without a mag).

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The 2 worst sounds in this world:
A 'BANG' when it was supposed to be a click and a 'CLICK' when it was supposed to be a bang.

All rights reserved. All wrongs revenged.

People Like This 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 AM   #24

Default If you let the slide forward with a mag in, YOU"VE CHAMBERED A ROUND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P. View Post
I was exposed to an accidental discharge today. I didn't know this guy very well, but he had a concealed carry license and wanted to "show me his gun", because he knew that I was into firearms. I guess this guy like to carry the weapon with th magazine in and the chamber empty. He gave me the gun properly, with the slide locked back and magazine out. I looked at it and gave it back. He then inserted the magazine, sent the slide forward, pointed the gun at the pavement(we were in the middle of town) and then he pulled the trigger. BOOM! The gun went off. It wasn't expecting him to pull the trigger and he wasn't expecting a round to be in the chamber.
Surely you CANNOT be serious right now? Do you or your friend know anything about guns AT ALL?!! When you have a magazine inserted and the slide goes forward that's the same thing as chambering a round. Why? Because as the bolt slides to the forward position, you have a round being pushed up in the chamber by the magazine spring. So it is not an accidental/negligent discharge if you're unintelligent and know nothing about guns. Before you carry a lethal weapon or play with it because it's "COOL" do your homework.

WHY?!?!? would you press the trigger if 1) you have a mag in; and 2) the slide was to the rear before you put the mag in, then you let the bolt go forward (which again, CHAMBERS a round)? To release the tension? Are you kidding me dude? What tension? If its a hammer gun you carry it in the "cocked and locked" position with a round chambered, hammer back, and safety ON. Which means it is READY TO FIRE!!!! once you disengage the safety. You're supposed to have tension. That's what I don't get about people criticizing guns or saying they're dangerous. No, they;re dangerous in the hands of fools only....

Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #25

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

There is no such thing as an Accidental Discharge, ONLY Negligent Discharges!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
rjleal Likes This 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #26

Default Are you sure you train people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguns911 View Post
In the original post the friend said he always pulls the trigger after putting the mag in, but the slid is forward when he does it. I believe what took place in this case was change of behavior. He most likely does not hand his gun over to others often and there for this was a change in behavior for him. His mind was on taking about his gun and not thinking about being safe. This is why when I train people on dry fire and such I tell them to triple check the chamber for clear. One time is not enuf, two times is getting there three times you have it set in my mind, have pulled the slid back three times and know the gun is good to go. I also tell them to use a safe back stop, remove all live ammo from the training area and tell them selves this is dry fire three times.

A person needs to stay focused on what they are doing while handling a gun, day dreaming and guns are not a god thing. If you are going to pull the trigger, like with a Glock, check it three times. Stay safe
I'm sorry but a "Change in behavior" has nothing to do with why the gun fired. If you train people, I strongly advise training yourself first. If you place a magazine in a handgun with the slide locked to the rear, then let the slide forward, you have just CHAMBERED a round. Nobody on this thread seems to understand that or basic fundamentals of handguns.

This is how it works. You place a magazine in. The mag spring pushes a round in the chamber. If the bolt is forward, the round can't go anywhere. When the bolt slides back, the round is pushed up in the cavity of the chamber. Now, when the bolt slides forward again, it catches and "strips" the round from the magazine and loads it into the barrel, ready to fire. When you fire, the hammer hits the pin, which hits the primer on the bullet, igniting the cartridge. The gas pushes the bolt to the rear, ejecting the cartridge, and cycling in another round, thus repeating the process.

Again - BOLT FORWARD with a mag already IN means you have +1 in the chamber, so when the guy squeezed the trigger to "release the tension or something," which doesn't even make sense even if you don't know anything about guns, the gun will fire, as it so clearly did. Nothing "behavioral" about it.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Can people please stop saying that, it makes no sense. A weapon will only fire if you make it to. No such thing as accidental or negligent. The example given, the guy had a mag in. Letting the bolt forward chambers a round. Soo...when he pressed the trigger, the weapon did exactly what it was supposed to - go BANG!! Since he didn't know what he was doing, that's called something that starts in stu and ends with idity. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Did everyone miss this part but me? There was nothing accidental about this! Pure stupidity IMO. Please excuse the tone of this posting but I waded through all of the posts and did not see where anyone had noticed that the fella chambered a round before pulling the triigger.

Slide back... insert loaded magazine... send slide forward (thereby chambering a round).. pull trigger... BOOM.. Gun did exactly what it was made to do.

You were damn lucky there young man. I know plenty of folks in this forum who would never trust to be around that fella again. All it takes is one time. If you are going to release the slide, do it "before" you put the loaded magazine back in!
Thank goodness man, I thought I was the only one LOL!! Just posted like 3 posts about this I joined specifically to point this out I didn't see any posts noting this except yours. Knowing your stuff when it comes to lethal weapons is whatsup; nobody should play with them because they're "cool." They're not, they're tools for a dark purpose and you have to know how to use them during business hour.

Grats on beating me to pointing out what appears to have been missed by almost everyone. It's part of the normal operating cycle of a gun - mag in, bolt forward, fire, eject cartridge, bolt forward chambers another round, fire..

Old 03-07-2011, 04:11 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Homecounty,

Welcome to the forum. Why don't you stop by the Introductions forum and tell us about yourself.

While you're at it why don't you ponder the fact that you joined this site just to 'teach' all of us idiots how a gun works. Did youever consider the fact that no one mentioned how the cartridge got chambered because it is such a basic opperation that it went without saying? I guarantee you we all picked up on just how and why the round got into the chamber and was fired.

The discussion was about the shooters NEGLIGENCE (YES as in a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE) in his responsibility to handle the firearm safely. And this is exactly what a ND is. No one here ever thought that a ND refered to any kind of malfunction, or anything other than the shooters negligence.

I normaly would not bother pointing out someones poor manners, but you sir have made nothing but arrogant and rude posts as of yet. So why don't you go introduce yourself, make some friends, and try to learn something from this site.

If nothing else some manners.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+1000 , this was the way I was taught and still see it.

"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead" Johnny Carson