Ability to fight if on medications. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Ability to fight if on medications.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #21
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,240
Liked 6792 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Not being American, I find it a strange way of thinking. I am not having a go, I am trying to understand the thinking. I very rarely think what way I am going to defend myself on or off medication. If I was in a dangerous situation I would then think the best way to get out of it. On the scale of concerns and things to think or worry about its well down my list.
We here are very well aware that police are many minutes away IF your able to make a call when seconds are ticking by...

The elderly children infirm or outnumbered are at the whims of whatever brute squad comes along to rape murder and rob without firearms.

When I was an mp the base itself was very small and we were very good at getting to calls fast, even so it was often 5 minutes before we could get there. It takes about 20-30 seconds to beat someone unconcious and another 30 to get clothing off for a good old fashioned firearm free raping. That of course if the closest car isn't already busy. Wait times are usually longer.

Anyway reality is there is evil in the world and restricting the ability of good people to protect themselves has zero affect on stopping evil from happening.

Not everyone is bruce lee able to beat a dozen grown men to death with a broom handle...
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is online now  
kfox75 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WonderingMind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 292
Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

I have trained with my blood pressure pills and off of them just because I am bit shaky without them and I wanted to know that I could compensate for it if I have to.
WonderingMind is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
orangello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,154
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default

In thinking about this thread, I wondered to myself "how loud would the local 911 people laugh at me if I called in to report a home invader and a level of inebriation that was too high to allow me to defend myself?". I know some of those people, grew up with them; they would send help and laugh afterwards, assuming I lived to be laughed at.
__________________
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
orangello is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,479
Liked 2305 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1240

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
Does anyone train for the occurance that they could be on medication at that critical moment you have to defend yourself? Does anyone ever think about the mental or physical handicaps you will have to work against?
Some do because I have been training them to do so for about 25 years now!!!
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
czfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 51
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
We here are very well aware that police are many minutes away IF your able to make a call when seconds are ticking by...

The elderly children infirm or outnumbered are at the whims of whatever brute squad comes along to rape murder and rob without firearms.

When I was an mp the base itself was very small and we were very good at getting to calls fast, even so it was often 5 minutes before we could get there. It takes about 20-30 seconds to beat someone unconcious and another 30 to get clothing off for a good old fashioned firearm free raping. That of course if the closest car isn't already busy. Wait times are usually longer.

Anyway reality is there is evil in the world and restricting the ability of good people to protect themselves has zero affect on stopping evil from happening.

Not everyone is bruce lee able to beat a dozen grown men to death with a broom handle...
Even bruce lee would have difficulty fighting multiple opponents in close quarters. In hand to hand combat 2 on 1 you have a very slim chance of defeating them. 3 on 1 or more your chances are almost none. With the proper training though you can withstand a lot of abuse to your body and keep going. In my own opinion one of the biggest downfalls of gun owners is the mentality that the gun is the most important aspect of their self defense. I am far more proficient in unarmed combat than i am with a weapon, and even still i am more proficient with a blunt or edged weapon than i am a firearm. I have looked at my self defense as building blocks, i had a good unarmed defense so add a stick or knife. Had a good base with that so then came the gun. My reason for this thread is being a martial artist for so long i train medicated, puking my guts out, concussed, have even had times with select friends that we would train slightly inibriated. There is literally no situation i would not train un armed. So it tends to transfer to my weapons training.
czfreak is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
Even bruce lee would have difficulty fighting multiple opponents in close quarters. In hand to hand combat 2 on 1 you have a very slim chance of defeating them. 3 on 1 or more your chances are almost none. With the proper training though you can withstand a lot of abuse to your body and keep going. In my own opinion one of the biggest downfalls of gun owners is the mentality that the gun is the most important aspect of their self defense. I am far more proficient in unarmed combat than i am with a weapon, and even still i am more proficient with a blunt or edged weapon than i am a firearm. I have looked at my self defense as building blocks, i had a good unarmed defense so add a stick or knife. Had a good base with that so then came the gun. My reason for this thread is being a martial artist for so long i train medicated, puking my guts out, concussed, have even had times with select friends that we would train slightly inibriated. There is literally no situation i would not train un armed. So it tends to transfer to my weapons training.
trying or actually training in such types of condition with bare hands or sticks is one thing, but to try and do so with a fireams and live ammo is IMO foolish and dangerous. for yourself and anyone around you.

so many times we preach about guns and alcohol and how they shouldn't ever be used together. so IMO trying to do so under any medication that could leave a person in the similiar condition as being intoxicated is no less irresponsible.

i have had my say, and i think what i have said is rather apparent in the way i feel about this, but i hope that if you continue down this path, i sincerely hope you don't end up getting hurt or hurting someone else.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Interesting question! I do enjoy inebriation and fairly frequently; when I do so, all firearms are out of reach, so I guess my first reaction would be to throw a beer bottle or liquor bottle at the assailant. I'm not saying I wouldn't grab a firearm for defense due to my own inebriation, but I am saying that it probably wouldn't be the first thing I would attempt to bash the buzzkill with.
The last thing I would do is lose my bottle. One I don't believe in alcohol abuse. Throwing a bottle of liquor is certainly alcohol abuse. Second if I am going to abuse alcohol I am going to make the most of it. Have you ever seen the wound a broken bottle makes?

If I had to choose between being stabbed with a knife or a broken bottle I would choose the knife every time. A local bad ass was stabbed by a broken bottle. He went to the emergency room holding a plastic bag on his belly to keep everything inside.
John_Deer is offline  
orangello Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Does anyone ever think about the mental or physical handicaps you will have to work against?
Every day of my life for the last 18 years. That's when they replaced the veins in my heart with the ones from my leg. It was called a triple by-pass. You want to talk about pain, have a surgeon cut open your chest from just below your vocal cord to your belly button and then split open your ribs, apply forceps to spread your chest open then talk to me. Not being able to bend over to tie your shoes or getting shooting pains every time you try to sit up.

So yes, I have lived with taking meds for my high blood pressure, age onset diabetes, going blind (I have 20/20 vision now), treatment for cancer (3 years ago) and about a dozen other aches and pains (yesterday it was my back and I needed a cane to walk). And those do not even count my intestinal problems (diverticulitis).

And yes I still shoot, I even participate in IDPA matches, and I am a decent shot, if I say so myself, generally zero points down on each stage. (It means, I don't hit the hostages and do get the bad guy targets dead center.) I may not be the fastest gun on the range, but then I don't try to be.

I think you are going to find that a lot of older folks are on medications for one thing or another, but that they can handle themselves well no matter what.

I don't drink, so that is not an issue for me, and you will find that most on medication do not drink liqueur either.

Stay well and shoot straight.
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 03-23-2014 at 05:09 AM.
bigjim is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
czfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 51
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
trying or actually training in such types of condition with bare hands or sticks is one thing, but to try and do so with a fireams and live ammo is IMO foolish and dangerous. for yourself and anyone around you.

so many times we preach about guns and alcohol and how they shouldn't ever be used together. so IMO trying to do so under any medication that could leave a person in the similiar condition as being intoxicated is no less irresponsible.

i have had my say, and i think what i have said is rather apparent in the way i feel about this, but i hope that if you continue down this path, i sincerely hope you don't end up getting hurt or hurting someone else.
I am not saying i woyld try this with live ammunition. I do think it would be beneficial to use simunition and try a force on force situation using those circumstances. If a drink is in my hand my loaded gun won't be and vice versa. I pass up many opportunities to shoot hecause i know some of the people involved to not share my opinion on keeping alcohol and firearms as separate pleasures.
czfreak is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:53 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
I am not saying i woyld try this with live ammunition. I do think it would be beneficial to use simunition and try a force on force situation using those circumstances. If a drink is in my hand my loaded gun won't be and vice versa. I pass up many opportunities to shoot hecause i know some of the people involved to not share my opinion on keeping alcohol and firearms as separate pleasures.
i have stated my opinions and feelings clearly and apparently, so i have nothing futher to add. so make your own choices as to what you do or don't do. i have made mine. enough said.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
concealed carry and medications doomrus26 General Handgun Discussion 29 01-31-2013 01:53 AM
Medications factor in mass murderers? Overkill0084 Politics, Religion and Controversy 0 01-07-2013 03:10 PM
Ability to shoot Cain Competition Shooting 15 10-18-2011 02:50 AM
Fight! Fight! Pick the Winner!! ScottG The Club House 20 02-08-2009 08:27 PM



Newest Threads