Ability to fight if on medications. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ability to fight if on medications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3401 Times on 1949 Posts
Likes Given: 1468

Under medication, you still will do what you are trained to do if you are conscious.

Maybe not as good as normal, but still be able to.

But if you do not train.......

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 596 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 3113

I don't take anything stronger than asprin. I had a steel plate and some scews removed from my ankle about 2006 and I took one vicodin the first night before I fell to sleep, and nothing else after that. I didn't feel any pain so I didn't feel the need. The ankle and foot were numb for 5 days.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10424 Times on 4495 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

No, I do not train to fight while medicated. I also do not set self on fire to train how to fight while combusting.

I would contend that it is not possible to do so in a meaningful way. The number of possible variations in your physical and mental conditions are so great as to be impossible to relate to real world circumstances.

I can train to shoot and operate a firearm with strong hand/ weak hand not working- I can train to fight/fire from a recumbent position. However, I really do not feel that your original inquiry is reasonable.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6672 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 502

This is why lamoe's will always kick off first... A lamoe is LAst Man On Earth or known as survivalist. You cant do it all yourself. Pronounced lame-oh

There are times when ive been so sick or on prescription meds ive handed my gun to the wife and said "your it".

Best way to deal with it is get a wingman you can trust. You cant go through life as a lamoe...

Survival is a team sport. This applies to surviving the world on day to day basis. Only a suicidal fool goes it alone
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 03-20-2014 at 01:04 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #15

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Adrenaline is one of the most powerful medications on earth. Adrenaline is free and your body will release it when you are truly threatened. I would not be concerned with medication affecting your ability to defend yourself.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 736 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Not being American, I find it a strange way of thinking. I am not having a go, I am trying to understand the thinking. I very rarely think what way I am going to defend myself on or off medication. If I was in a dangerous situation I would then think the best way to get out of it. On the scale of concerns and things to think or worry about its well down my list.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22251 Times on 12465 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Not being American, I find it a strange way of thinking. I am not having a go, I am trying to understand the thinking. I very rarely think what way I am going to defend myself on or off medication. If I was in a dangerous situation I would then think the best way to get out of it. On the scale of concerns and things to think or worry about its well down my list.
in my way of thinking, it's just so remote of a possiblity in the grand scheme of things in life of it ever happening. and seriously, how would someone safely train for such a scenario to begin with?

in the unlikely event it were to ever arise and i wasn't able to defend the fortress due to medication, the BG still has my wife to worry about. she wouldn't in the least hesitate in shooting any more than i would.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #18

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

My view of things is that as you go through life, there are MANY things throughout EVERY day that you cannot control. To some extent, your life is governed by luck, fate, whatever you want to call it. You simply cannot control it, so to even think of trying is silly, it'll drive you nuts. Sounds to me that even if there is a very definite event coming up, what is the likelihood that anything bad will happen, even in a month.

As I've said before, if you feel that worried or insecure about your surroundings, you need to MOVE!
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting question! I do enjoy inebriation and fairly frequently; when I do so, all firearms are out of reach, so I guess my first reaction would be to throw a beer bottle or liquor bottle at the assailant. I'm not saying I wouldn't grab a firearm for defense due to my own inebriation, but I am saying that it probably wouldn't be the first thing I would attempt to bash the buzzkill with.

Last edited by orangello; 03-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #20
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2188 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 12196

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I take medication to prevent me from acting on my evil thoughts. Without medication,
Now medicated for YOUR safety.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
People Like This