Ability to fight if on medications.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ability to fight if on medications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Ability to fight if on medications.

Does anyone train for the occurance that they could be on medication at that critical moment you have to defend yourself? Does anyone ever think about the mental or physical handicaps you will have to work against?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 9562

Interesting thought. Never crossed my mind before. Do I myself train for it, no. Drugs\alcohol and firearms do not mix, so IMHO there is no safe way to train for this contingency. The safest bet would be to make sure that you have someone to watch your 6 while you are on meds, or get a dog.

If ever put in that type of situation, I am pretty sure I would sober up enough to defend myself in a hurry. Not a major concern to me now, as I don't get phantom pain as often as I used to.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #3

Liked 547 Times on 370 Posts

This is a hard question because I have never not been in control

EZ

Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
This is a hard question because I have never not been in control

EZ
You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.
realistically, i doubt anyone with any common sense is going to train for such an obscure and highly improbable thing such as this.

how would a person even begin to safely train for such a scenario? seriously, who would want to intentionally put themselves in that condition, or who would want to be around someone in that condition? i'll have to answer no o both.

i'm sorry, IMO, this is one of those things that just goes even beyond being silly, almost to the point of being rather stupid.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:30 AM   #6

Liked 400 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

One way to train is to force yourself when you are feeling nauseous to do difficult things.
I have a feeling in a true emergency adrenaline would kick in and get you focused.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Probably true. I get this mentality of training from my uears of martial arts training. I'm not saying go take some xanex and play with a gun. I've done things such as purposefully knocking the wind out of myself then dry firing to see the differences in how i move and manipulate the weapon as opposed to when i am at 100%.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7768 Times on 4213 Posts
Likes Given: 16424

I take medication to prevent me from acting on my evil thoughts. Without medication,

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
Nope not yet I'm not counting a couple times I've been in the hospital incapacitated that's a completely different story.
But medicines alcohol or anything like that no.
100 percent in control.

Not saying I can't see it happening but it hasn't yet and I wouldn't feel I would have to prepare for it.

EZ
Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 AM   #10

[quote=czfreak;1534604]You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.[/quot

Duplicate I don't know how that happened

EZ