Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Ability to fight if on medications. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/ability-fight-if-medications-105254/)

czfreak 03-19-2014 10:57 PM

Ability to fight if on medications.

Does anyone train for the occurance that they could be on medication at that critical moment you have to defend yourself? Does anyone ever think about the mental or physical handicaps you will have to work against?

kfox75 03-20-2014 01:00 AM

Interesting thought. Never crossed my mind before. Do I myself train for it, no. Drugs\alcohol and firearms do not mix, so IMHO there is no safe way to train for this contingency. The safest bet would be to make sure that you have someone to watch your 6 while you are on meds, or get a dog.

If ever put in that type of situation, I am pretty sure I would sober up enough to defend myself in a hurry. Not a major concern to me now, as I don't get phantom pain as often as I used to.

Ez2b 03-20-2014 01:03 AM

This is a hard question because I have never not been in control

EZ

czfreak 03-20-2014 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ez2b (Post 1534543)
This is a hard question because I have never not been in control

EZ

You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.

Axxe55 03-20-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czfreak (Post 1534604)
You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.

realistically, i doubt anyone with any common sense is going to train for such an obscure and highly improbable thing such as this.

how would a person even begin to safely train for such a scenario? seriously, who would want to intentionally put themselves in that condition, or who would want to be around someone in that condition? i'll have to answer no o both.

i'm sorry, IMO, this is one of those things that just goes even beyond being silly, almost to the point of being rather stupid.

bluez 03-20-2014 02:30 AM

One way to train is to force yourself when you are feeling nauseous to do difficult things.
I have a feeling in a true emergency adrenaline would kick in and get you focused.

czfreak 03-20-2014 02:39 AM

Probably true. I get this mentality of training from my uears of martial arts training. I'm not saying go take some xanex and play with a gun. I've done things such as purposefully knocking the wind out of myself then dry firing to see the differences in how i move and manipulate the weapon as opposed to when i am at 100%.

MisterMcCool 03-20-2014 02:43 AM

I take medication to prevent me from acting on my evil thoughts. Without medication, :eek:

Ez2b 03-20-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czfreak (Post 1534604)

Nope not yet I'm not counting a couple times I've been in the hospital incapacitated that's a completely different story.
But medicines alcohol or anything like that no.
100 percent in control.

Not saying I can't see it happening but it hasn't yet and I wouldn't feel I would have to prepare for it.

EZ

Ez2b 03-20-2014 02:55 AM

[quote=czfreak;1534604]You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.[/quot

Duplicate I don't know how that happened

EZ