Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > 7 year old boy dies after being accidently shot by father.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #51
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1541 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 7843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Gentlemen :
I consider it a mistake to advise checking a gun once, twice or three times to make sure it isn't loaded . I consider it dangerous to distinguish between "loaded" and "unloaded" guns . I consider it wrong to make unloading a part of gun safety . See Jeff Cooper's Rule #1 . If you follow Rule #1, there is no need to worry about whether a gun is loaded ( For the purposes of gun safety, it is always loaded ) . If you dry snap, use a suitable bullet stop .
Exceptions : If you clean it, clear it first and keep it broken open for cleaning and inspection . If you hand it to someone, clear it and hand it over open . Store it empty but handle it as a loaded gun .
If you teach a classroom session, make sure it is unloaded and no live rounds are in the classroom --but don't use this as an excuse for unsafe practices . Any training involving paint ball guns , " Red Guns " , toy guns, or disabled guns must be conducted so that no real gun can accidentally come into play .
No exceptions for SWAT cops, special forces, Marine Recon or even NSA !
Good post, and some very sound advice Rentacop. before I even started shooting, the first thing my dad taught me was that there is no such thing as an unloaded firearm. handle it as if it is loaded every time you handle one. That is the only way ensure the safety of yourself and those around you. If the father in the article had followed rule 1, he would still have his son. Truely a sad story. The saddest part is that it could have easily been prevented.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #52
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 910 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand your reasoning. Having another child will not bring back and/or replace the deceased one. That person is gone. Furthermore, what does the guy with 22 or so children have anything to do with this thread?

I agree that the father ignored the most common rules of safety. With regards to the gun store, he was not inside the store but getting into his vehicle in the parking lot. This incident is no ones fault but the fathers.
It is not my reasoning, it is the way so many fathers sire children in this country. They have no responsibility in their reasoning. Women no longer call men husband's or fathers, they call them their child's daddy. Men change women like I change socks.

We blame gov for our problems, when often times, it is our decisions that cause us so many problems.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #53

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Very sad! I can't even begin to imagine the pain those parents are goin thru!

About 8 years ago my 3rd cousin's little 5 year old girl was accidentally shot by her 3 year old brother. They were in their parents bedroom & he found the gun under a pillow on the bed. My cousin had put it there the night before b/c she was staying by herself(husband was out of town working) She had forgotten that she had put the gun there.