Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > 7 year old boy dies after being accidently shot by father.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1650 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
When I started this thread it was with the purpose of emphasizing the importance of gun safety. True, the father shooting the young son was an accident, but an avoidable one. You can't avoid a drunk driver crashing into you on the way to work but you can avoid shooting your 7 year old son in the chest by checking to make sure the gun is unloaded and always, always and always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction even when your sure the gun is empty.

True many children die or get killed by other means and/or accidents and probably many of those could also have been avoided but this incident is directly related to us who defend the second amendment. It hurts us and what we defend when people mishandle guns and end up hurting someone, specially a child. We know its going to get blown way out of proportion. Lets not give the YoungTurds more reasons to talk about.

I say again, lets go beyond the call of duty and practice safety. Please.
There is no 'beyond the call of duty' when it comes to safety.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20016 Times on 11380 Posts
Likes Given: 50499

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Jim, i think his reference was for those who play the game and forget or fail to understand the true destructive power of firearms and that real guns are not toys or a game and need their due respect.

there is younger generation coming along or has been for several years now that their only exposure to guns is through video games or movies and tv. many of them have no realistic concept of the true power of firearms or how deadly they can be when not used safey and properly. many people haven't been brought up around guns and have no one to show them how to safely handle them.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #43

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
JimRau. What I meant is "if you think your being as careful or safe as you have to be, it's not enough. Be safer."

Last edited by rickster; 06-12-2013 at 04:45 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
JimRau. What I meant is "if you think your being as careful or safe as you have to be, it's not enough. Be safer."
True. I see it all the time. Familiarity breeds complacency! I have been guilty of this as we all are at times. The truly dangerous equipment like power tools, and motor vehicles are the worst. I don't consider firearms even close in the dangerous category when compared to the above. Just ask an emergency room doctor who does not have an anti-gun agenda and they will agree.
My complaint is we have allowed the progressives to indoctrinate people to believe firearms are EXTREMELY dangerous and thus evil, which they are not. We MUST be very careful not to assist them in their agenda while still teaching safety and respect for firearms. We must be very careful not to be pulled into this 'sencecionalize and exaggerate' mentality.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7823 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 10063

Quote:
True. I see it all the time. Familiarity breeds complacency! I have been guilty of this as we all are at times. The truly dangerous equipment like power tools, and motor vehicles are the worst. I don't consider firearms even close in the dangerous category when compared to the above. Just ask an emergency room doctor who does not have an anti-gun agenda and they will agree.
My complaint is we have allowed the progressives to indoctrinate people to believe firearms are EXTREMELY dangerous and thus evil, which they are not. We MUST be very careful not to assist them in their agenda while still teaching safety and respect for firearms. We must be very careful not to be pulled into this 'sencecionalize and exaggerate' mentality.
I think you mean "contempt" (or at least that is the common saying).

One member here said that when they were a kid their dad was cleaning a gun and he asked "Hey dad, if you are sure that it is not loaded then why won't you look down the barrel?" and his dad replied "I don't even trust myself that much!!"

I have stolen this.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Had the guy shot his finger off, it would be gone forever. In the case of children, this guy and billions of fathers like him, will just turn around and make more. Sounds cold, but this planet is full of offspring. One dad in the news right now has twenty two kids with fourteen moms. He can't make his child support payments on two of his kids, let alone the football team he has sired.

None of us know the father, or know what relationship he has (had) with his family, but we do know guns, and the three NRA gun safety rules would have saved this child's life.

The gun store this guy was at at the time of the shooting, do they have gun safety rules clearly posted for everyone to see? Do they stress safety? I could bet a dollar they do not.

Last edited by AR10; 06-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #47

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
Had the guy shot his finger off, it would be gone forever. In the case of children, this guy and billions of fathers like him, will just turn around and make more. Sounds cold, but this planet is full of offspring. One dad in the news right now has twenty two kids with fourteen moms. He can't make his child support payments on two of his kids, let alone the football team he has sired.

None of us know the father, or know what relationship he has (had) with his family, but we do know guns, and the three NRA gun safety rules would have saved this child's life.

The gun store this guy was at at the time of the shooting, do they have gun safety rules clearly posted for everyone to see? Do they stress safety? I could bet a dollar they do not.
I'm sorry but I don't understand your reasoning. Having another child will not bring back and/or replace the deceased one. That person is gone. Furthermore, what does the guy with 22 or so children have anything to do with this thread?

I agree that the father ignored the most common rules of safety. With regards to the gun store, he was not inside the store but getting into his vehicle in the parking lot. This incident is no ones fault but the fathers.

Last edited by rickster; 06-12-2013 at 06:41 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

One member here said that when they were a kid their dad was cleaning a gun and he asked "Hey dad, if you are sure that it is not loaded then why won't you look down the barrel?" and his dad replied "I don't even trust myself that much!!"

I have stolen this.
I don't know about the common saying. Mine is what I have observed over the years. We humans have a tendency to get complacent once we are 'comfortable' with our equipment and surroundings. I use to build substations and transmission lines and would forget I was 30 to 100 feet off the ground and just be going about my business like I was on the ground and someone to yell at me to 'safety off'.
I have seen it many times with guns as I have been around guns as 'tools' for 40+ years. It is something we MUST all be aware of and point out to others as stated above. I would prefer to hurt someone's feeling than to see some hurt but unsafe behavior. But lets keep the reality of actual hazards in prospective and not give others the impression that guns are inherently unsafe, because they are not unsafe when compared to other 'tools' in our box!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #49
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1491 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 7365

Quote:
My complaint is we have allowed the progressives to indoctrinate people to believe firearms are EXTREMELY dangerous and thus evil, which they are not.(
The firearm it's self is not extremely dangerous, nor evil, nor deadly. It is the experience or lack thereof of the operator. However, after getting to the point where handling has become second nature, or muscle memory, that the individual behind the trigger can become just as dangerous (or deadly) as the untrained. I have been muzzle swept by far more lifers than newbs over the last 25 years. Either way, it still scares the sh!t out of me when it happens. We ALL need to pay attention while handling tools, firearms, and while driving. As I said before, "One "Oh Sh!t" erases a thousand "Attaboy"s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

I have stolen this.
I trust myself enough to look down the barrel, but only from the chamber end while the weapon is broken down. Don't hate on me for using weapon instead of gun. I was raised in a military household. Guns are mounted on vehicles. or on your person.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #50

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gentlemen :
I consider it a mistake to advise checking a gun once, twice or three times to make sure it isn't loaded . I consider it dangerous to distinguish between "loaded" and "unloaded" guns . I consider it wrong to make unloading a part of gun safety . See Jeff Cooper's Rule #1 . If you follow Rule #1, there is no need to worry about whether a gun is loaded ( For the purposes of gun safety, it is always loaded ) . If you dry snap, use a suitable bullet stop .
Exceptions : If you clean it, clear it first and keep it broken open for cleaning and inspection . If you hand it to someone, clear it and hand it over open . Store it empty but handle it as a loaded gun .
If you teach a classroom session, make sure it is unloaded and no live rounds are in the classroom --but don't use this as an excuse for unsafe practices . Any training involving paint ball guns , " Red Guns " , toy guns, or disabled guns must be conducted so that no real gun can accidentally come into play .
No exceptions for SWAT cops, special forces, Marine Recon or even NSA !