Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > 7 year old boy dies after being accidently shot by father.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19603 Times on 11127 Posts
Likes Given: 49355

Rickster, thank you for bringing this to our attention and very good points you made about safety. sometimes the more we handle firearms, the chances for complacency become more possible.

very, very sad the loss of this child and the guilt the father will have to live with is much worse than any penalty anyone else can incur upon him for his actions.

and it bears repeating, that we need to remain very vigilant about gun safety at all times and pass it on, and remind ourselves and others.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #12

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

This is why I ALWAYS triple check my firearms before handling or dry firing them.
Even if I KNOW the cylinder or chamber is empty, I check again, to make sure.
And keeping them pointed in a safe direction is just as important.
Accidents can and do happen.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3624

Yep. I check. then check again. If you put it down. Check it again when ya pick it up.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7248

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I can understand why some may not want to watch the newscast about the incident but I think it is important for some, not all, to recognize the responsibility of being a firearm owner and how careful we must be at all times. I always handle my guns as if they are loaded, regardless of how certain I may think they are not.

I never place my finger on the trigger unless I intend to discharge the weapon. I never point it at anyone and/or allow the muzzle to be pointed at anyone unless my life is threatened by that person.

I never allow my weapons to be in anyone's hands whom may not have weapons experience.

I've had friends, or acquaintances, get upset at me for not letting them handle my guns but for me safety comes first. I've also

When my little girls are around me, my gun is either holstered or stored.

In my opinion, I can never be too safe. Call me foolish. Call me extremist. If ever one of my loved ones is injured due to my negligence or lack of safety, I could not live with myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
This is why I ALWAYS triple check my firearms before handling or dry firing them.
Even if I KNOW the cylinder or chamber is empty, I check again, to make sure.
And keeping them pointed in a safe direction is just as important.
Accidents can and do happen.
The loss of a child, regardless of age, is a tragic thing. This is all the more true when the death of that child could have been prevented. This is why I am the same way about firearms safety as the above quoted members. The rule that is forever emblazened into my mind is this:

EVERY GUN IS A LOADED GUN! No excuses, no exceptions. Being a responsible gun owner means that you must have 100% dilligence when it comes to muzzle awareness and clearing the gun. As I said above, no excuses, no exceptions.

I will never forget the first and only time I saw a man get shot. I was 15 when it happened, and I can still tell you what color his eyes and hair were, what haircut he had, the color of the buttons on his shirt, the color of the stone in his class ring, as if it was happening right in front of me now. Not a pleasant memory, and not the only reason I am so stringent when it comes to firearms safety, even when surrounded by people I do trust with my life. The guy who shot him had just "cleared" his pistol when it happened.

One "Oh SH!T" erases 10,000 ata boys. The father in this case, I don't need to see the vido or read the story, I remember the boy's name from when it was originally on the news. This is a tragic accident, and I am positive that the father is being harder on himself than anyone else could ever dream of being. My deepest sympathy and prayers are with him and his in their time of loss and mourning for their son, grandson, and nephew, but I do not sympathize when it comes to his negligence. Thsat is entirely on him, and no one else. He will have to live with this for the rest of his life, and it is something that I wish on no one.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7683 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

As I recall the father had brought the gun into the gun store in hopes of selling it. He was getting back into his truck to leave when the accident happened. I imagine that the gun had been handled inside the store by store employees if he was looking to sell it there. Why didn't the gun store employees check the chamber if when they were looking at it?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Accidents do not happen with firearms. A China dish falling and hitting the ground, breaking is an accident, maybe.

A unintentionally discharged firearm is called a negligent discharge, always, not an accident.

..........Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction.

..........Always keep finger off trigger until ready to shoot.

..........Always keep gun unloaded until ready to fire.

There are over 100,000 NRA firearms safety instructors in the USA, yet people die from unsafe handeling of firearms. Thousands of free videos on the internet on gun safety, yet people kill their children out of ignorance of gun safety.

Crying Shame.

All three rules of gun safety were broken for the father to have shot his child in this story. Any one of these rules would have saved this child. Had all the three rules of gun safety been followed, this child would have never been endangered, let alone killed.

The young Turks you tube channel wants all if us to loose our 2nd Ammendment Rights. If all fathers are as stupid as this father, I would agree with that idea. Thank God, all fathers are not that stupid, and most guns are owned by responsible gun owners that follow safe gun handeling practices.

Last edited by AR10; 06-09-2013 at 09:01 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
Accidents do not happen with firearms. A China dish falling and hitting the ground, breaking is an accident, maybe.

A unintentionally discharged firearm is called a negligent discharge, always, not an accident.

There are over 100,000 NRA firearms safety instructors in the USA, yet people die from unsafe handeling of firearms. Thousands of free videos on the internet on gun safety, yet people kill their children out of ignorance of gun safety.

Crying Shame.

All three rules of gun safety were broken for the father to have shot his child in this story. Any one of these rules would have saved this child. Had all the three rules of gun safety been followed, this child would have never been endangered, let alone killed.

The young Turks you tube channel wants all if us to loose our 2nd Ammendment Rights. If all fathers are as stupid as this father, I would agree with that idea. Thank God, all fathers are not that stupid, and most guns are owned by responsible gun owners that follow safe gun handeling practices.
He pointed the gun at his son...
That alone should be a reason for him to never own firearms.

Last edited by Gizord1; 06-09-2013 at 11:30 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10

Crying Shame.

The young turds have irritated me with some of their videos. Not just the anti-gun ones

Old 06-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7683 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 9903

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

Crying Shame.

It is a matter of semantics. All negligent discharges are accidental. To argue otherwise is simply ignorant of the English language.

It was a negligent discharge, it was an accident, it was ignorance, it was (and is) a tragedy. It is also a tragedy that this horrifying event is being turned into a political football by both the antis and us.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #20

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2084

This may not be PC but the real tragedy here is the fact that this idiot was allowed to breed in the first place. 1. he was unaware his weapon was loaded. 2. he pointed it in an unsafe direction. 3. he had his finger on the trigger. All adds up to a defective gene pool. Frankly his boy is better off in the hands of God rather than being raised by this fool.