The .22LR - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > The .22LR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been telling folks pretty much the very same thing for years. If you hit 'em enough times, it don't matter what you hit 'em with. Plus, with that new segmented hollow point that CCI offers, one shot would leave 4 holes in soft tissue. I'm not sure hoe effective it'd be against a skull or breastbone, though.

Great post and the pics were great as well.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From a rifle, a 40gr HP is going to be best overall. It runs a greater risk of flatting against the thicker parts of the skull if that's the target, but for CoM hits it will do more damage than your average .32acp FMJ.

For pistols, a 40grRN is going to be the best. The Hyper Velocity ones like the Aguila Interceptor will come out around 1050 from a ~3.5" barrel, and around 950 from a 2.75" barrel.

For a long time my only weapon was a 10/22. However, in the last year I've put like 6-7k rounds through it, mostly in drills, so I am actually quite confident with it.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/22LR.html

Last edited by Lindenwood; 08-06-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
...and if anyone wants additional information...
Excellent post! I would like to add to it.

I am having a rim-fire shootout at my range over Labor Day Weekend. I'm still in Iraq for a couple more weeks, so I sent my wife to Wal-Mart to purchase .22LR for those who don't bring ammo.

She purchased 3300 rounds for $108.

Personally, I'm a training junkie. However, it gets harder and harder to go to the cool high-speed schools because of ammo cost an availability. More and more schools (including most of my company's courses) are allowing a lot of the training to be done with .22s for the live-fire events. Of course, this doesn't apply to qualification courses, but for the practicing, shooting is shooting.

I even purchased a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR pistol for testing, as it is almost the size of the P226 9mm as a training alternative. I'm not happy with the performance, but maybe with a little tweaking, it'll end up being reliable enough to be viable enough for training. (Wow! I'm a poet and didn't know it!) The Mosquito runs about $300-$350, so what's another $100 worth of gunsmithing to have a great trainer substitute??

When I was poor, jobless, and almost homeless, I carried a Jennings .22 in my pocket. When things got better, I gave it to my oldest boy, but got rid of it after it started coming apart as he fired it. We put about 300 rnds through it before it started happening. It's not a work horse, by any means. His hands are big enough to hold the Ruger Mark IV now, so that's what he shoots. Sometimes, cheap enough isn't necessarily good enough. It's like driving a car with the steel belt showing on all four tires. Drive it to get you to work, but you better get some tires with your first paycheck.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 08-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #14

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Excellent post. The moral of the story seems to be - it would truly suck to get shot.

I wouldn't suggest people immediately press their single-action semi-automatic target pistols into defensive service. Ergonomics, concealment, and scary light triggers might be drawbacks. Still, a .22 and lots of practice might be worthwhile for many people.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
The one thing to remember with a .22LR is you MUST train to fire in multiple shot strings. Don't ever expect one round of .22LR to immediately stop an attack.

Train hard with a .22LR and be confident. If you put multiple rounds directly into center of mass, the threat WILL stop (physics and physiology will take over).

If you can do better than a .22LR, do so. If all you have is a .22LR don't feel under-gunned. Something is better than nothing, and if anyone wants additional information or training ideas, please let me know and I will make time to post up some good ideas for drills and such to maximize training with this little round.
This is a relief to read. As I just got my .22 rifle last weekend and this is my ONLY home defense firearm. My only other thing is a bat, and quite frankly I'm not that good in close combat situations!!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My only firearm for several months was my 10/22. I trained a good bit with multi-shot strings, dragging up from the chest to the head. Invest in at least one good hi-cap mag ( Tactical Innovations Inc. ) and practice putting maybe five shots into a silhouette as quickly as possible. As silly as it sounds, I even did some practice bump-firing, where I'd transition my shooting hand from my normal firing position to a "finger-only" position and rap off 3-6 rounds as quickly as possible on target.

And, statistically, the best rounds (something like CCI Velocitor work well) will have at least 40% chance of a one-shot-stop, so if you can put 3 or 4 into CoM in a second, I think you'll be just fine.

Various .22lr from a rifle

Old 08-13-2009, 04:21 AM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The only gun in my house is a Walther PP in .22lr, and I prefer it over a baseball bat or a knife (already I have both nearby JIC) because I'm partially disabled (I can't run or even walk fast)...
It's loaded with CCI mini-mags

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 AM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Good job SGT!

The lowly .22lr is a fine caliber and the brunt of too many jokes.

PS It is the caliber of choice for Mob Hits!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Asmel, you might consider the Aguila Interceptor. If you are using the MiniMag Solids (which you should be to get the most penetration possible), you are only getting about 850-900fps out of the short barrel. The Interceptors should be around 1000fps for just a little more umph, relatively speaking. This is more important for head shots, to lessen the chances of the bullet getting stuck in the thick facial bones or glancing off angular parts of the skull.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #20

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Asmel, you might consider the Aguila Interceptor. If you are using the MiniMag Solids (which you should be to get the most penetration possible), you are only getting about 850-900fps out of the short barrel. The Interceptors should be around 1000fps for just a little more umph, relatively speaking.
The problem in Venezuela is we can't buy what we want but we can find... Usually in here you can find MiniMags, Federal and Remington.... time to time some Eley... that's it.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE